I miss this place

I was just thinking about souplantafuon the other day and how much I missed it, too bad it’s so far away from me.

Hopefully it does well and spreads!

6 Likes

Chinese Friends, Grandview Gardens, Yee Mee Loo, Ichiban Cafe, Vickman’s, Gorky’s, (before they became hippified,) Dominick’s in Sunland, Samniego’sTacosAl Carbon (just south of GrandCentral Market on Hill St., , c. 1980)

3 Likes

When I lived in a loft in DTLA/Olympic between Santa Fe and Mateo in the mid-80s: Chinese Friends, Vickman’s and Gorky’s for sure, also Suehiro, Atomic Cafe, Al’s Bar… I really miss Vickman’s. A working person’s breakfast, the coffee carafes, the holiday pies stacked on all the long tables…at that time we were sold the “promise” of what DTLA would become, but it took 30 years to actually happen.

7 Likes

I miss Taco Maria. Smh this break hurts

8 Likes

Jay’s Jayburger

Mei Long Village in SGV.

I know there are other worthy places but those two seemed especially built for me.

3 Likes

MTN Venice.

There is a similar link on FTC which is very similar (if not identical) in sentiment, which I responded to back in the earlier days of this forum…

#IMissThatThread

1 Like

according to lett he has that space back and will reopen it.

6 Likes

I was wondering what he’s been up too

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to reheat it.

1 Like

How often does that happen - a place goes under and resurfaces!

2 Likes

Har Lam Kee in Monterey Park was one of our family’s go to spots for the weekly family dinner. $30 could get 3 dishes, soup, and rice. *sigh

4 Likes

That was the spot!

Speaking of SGV….Noodle Boy’s wonton mee was so damn good. Don’t know who has the best bowl now. My favorite bowl right now would actually be in Flushing at Maxi’s Noodle. Maxi has relatives in LA so here’s hoping for a Maxi’s Noodle # 3!

Anyone know what happened to Noodle Boy? Did they retire?

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be Noodle Senior? ;-D

3 Likes

It happens occasionally–Dear John’s comes to mind. Not always a successful comeback, alas–the reborn and short-lived Ritz in O.C. comes to mind.

2 Likes

I was just a teenager but Nicodell’s, Lucy’s el Adobe, Tick Tock - all in Hollywood. And Campanile, of course.

It’s only been a few months but

Needle.

4 Likes

… and just this week it happened to Sweet Lady Jane.

1 Like

PE lady Jane’s?

I miss clusi batusi

Also I think I might’ve said this up thread but oumi sasaya. I sigh pretty much every time I drive past their old location south South Bay doesn’t have a ton in terms of good Japanese unfortunately. If that was still there I probably would go weekly.

1 Like

Mama D’s Nigerian.

1 Like