I miss this place

Big time miss

1 Like

6 Likes

Also Smoke City Market in Sherman Oaks and Boulevard [series of numbers I don’t remember] in Walnut

I’ve still not found a replacement, but am open to suggestions.

4 Likes

I totally forgot about them they were really good before they got shut down.

Alejandras quesadilla cart in Echo park sells blue corn masa huitlacoche quesadillas and so does los originales taco arabes in east LA.

1 Like
1 Like

Going to add the original Mo Chica location in the Mercado La Paloma to this list, it was truly too beautiful for this world. That causa was $4!

http://www.kevineats.com/2009/08/mo-chica-los-angeles-ca.htm?m=0

10 Likes

3 Likes

That was one of the first Chowhound/JGold spots I went to where I was like…oh man this is the type of stuff I’ve been missing in this city

2 Likes

I recently went down to Wilmington Night Market and found Las Gorditas Chingonas Truck that sells DF snacks including Pombazos and Fried Quesadillas. Had the Squash Blossom and Huitlacoche. Both were wonderful. It reminded me of another how I miss it place… Antojitos Estilo DF in Palms.

7 Likes

Seeing that pic hurt. Curry House (Little Tokyo location) might’ve been the first place I had bolognese, period, which has remained one of my favorite foods ever. Prob the first place I had curry. Prob the first place I had miso dressing. Def the first place I had a tofu cheesecake. I remember that a great weekend for me was when parents would take us for Curry House and to the arcade in Weller Court. I even remember when that Curry House moved into bigger and fancier digs on a different floor (so I think I’ve been going since the 80s!).

My last trip to Curry House was a few mos b/f they closed at the Sawtelle location. And it was painful… Like a friend who had really let themselves go and given up on life. It was not the way I would’ve preferred to remember a place that was such a huge part of my life growing up.

::sigh::

5 Likes

a lot of nostalgia at the Little Tokyo Curry House, When we were young and we didn’t have a lot of money, it was a great spot to meet up with friends and just hang out.

3 Likes

restaurants:
Souplantation
OG Baroo (esp the cookies lol)

specific dishes:
Fat Spoon’s curry
Hero Shop’s morcilla banh mi
the Tres Leches cake at Milk (probably my fav in LA! used to get it for my mom’s b-day every single year!!)

7 Likes

Souplantation clone opens in Rancho Cucamonga

4 Likes

I was just thinking about souplantafuon the other day and how much I missed it, too bad it’s so far away from me.

Hopefully it does well and spreads!

6 Likes

Chinese Friends, Grandview Gardens, Yee Mee Loo, Ichiban Cafe, Vickman’s, Gorky’s, (before they became hippified,) Dominick’s in Sunland, Samniego’sTacosAl Carbon (just south of GrandCentral Market on Hill St., , c. 1980)

3 Likes

When I lived in a loft in DTLA/Olympic between Santa Fe and Mateo in the mid-80s: Chinese Friends, Vickman’s and Gorky’s for sure, also Suehiro, Atomic Cafe, Al’s Bar… I really miss Vickman’s. A working person’s breakfast, the coffee carafes, the holiday pies stacked on all the long tables…at that time we were sold the “promise” of what DTLA would become, but it took 30 years to actually happen.

7 Likes

I miss Taco Maria. Smh this break hurts

8 Likes

Jay’s Jayburger

Mei Long Village in SGV.

I know there are other worthy places but those two seemed especially built for me.

3 Likes

MTN Venice.