January 2022 Rundown

Holy &%$&*! I can’t believe they’re still around! I hesitate in dating myself in how long ago I went to UCI, but man that is an OG place.

2 Likes

If you haven’t been to that plaza in a while you wouldn’t believe what it looks like now. I started working in the UCI research center off California. It’s pretty remarkable what the campus looks like now compared to a decade ago. Much better food options all around.

FYI the Anthill Pub has a pretty damn good selection of beers for a university bar. Russian River, 21st. It’s been awhile since I been there I thought they closed down a few years ago.

2 Likes

Oooh, thanks for the tip! I wish I knew that before.

1 Like

A civilized lunch at Lasita. Not pictured a skin contact wine from Georgia that went well with the Lechon.

7 Likes

Thanks for your reports! I’ve Been wanting to go for a while but worried it was just a gimick. Then after P was drooling about the Chilaquiles torta on Netflix… It was easy to convince him to head down…

Green Chilaquiles Burrito with Mixto

Gosh… it’s a beautiful mess. And you HAVE to admire them as they put it together. It’s just a dance… A light smear of beans as a foundation. freshly prepared chilaquilles, a FLUFFY egg omelet, cheese, then a MOUND of Carnitas and a dash of crema. You can do all meat (Maciza) or Mixto (Meat with with Cueritos). I love Cueritos and they help create a completely yielding burrito.

I also LOVE Costillas… so I had to get some Costilla tacos while the burrito rested…

REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. Good. Not the best I’ve had but they certainly did pull off the bone with just the slightest coaxing.

Overall… go for the burrito. I perfer the carnitas at Carnitas el Rey in Oxnard and Zamoras… but the Costillas are always the first sell out there. You gotta time it WELL. Also, this is a brunch hit. We hit it just before noon before there was a big line… by the time we finished our Trunk lunch, the line was considerable for a Saturday. The parking in the area is pretty tight, so have some patience and finally, don’t forget Ramirez Beverage Center is just up the street. A must hit no matter what.

–Dommy!

10 Likes

Yah, I really liked their costillas. I’m glad you guys finally went! I like them and happy to see them thriving.

1 Like

Thanks for the report and glad you enjoyed it! I just cannot not order that damn burrito. I had a carnitas torta which was darn good, however the burrito is something I crave and need to order it every time now. I wonder if they let you put costilla in the burrito as well?

In re: to the parking, it is a struggle but especially when their is a futbol game at the park, but definitely well worth the hassle.

1 Like

I like the breakfast burrito at the Poached in Downey.

2 Likes

Maybe. The joy of costilla is that it’s literally on the bone. Aside from that, it can be a bit drier and stringier than the masciza and of course, the Mixto is so lucious, I think those are the best two for the overall burrito form. But you can always ask… they seem really amiable. I saw them make some burritos with over easy eggs. OMG. I so wanted, but since we had to eat then and there, it would have been too messy. Made Over Easy Egg Bahn Mi this morning just to get it all out of my head…

1 Like

Thanks, Now I’m craving Chicken Dijon. I used to be in the office tower right there, and Le Dip was a regular for me.

In hindsight, I think heating up chicken garlic sandwiches in the break room was a no-no

8 Likes

better than fish

1 Like

Langers w/ coleslaw and Swiss was not expecting to receive this today but having it show up at my door was an amazing suprise. I miss eating here on a more regular basis.

Bread was free making 1000x delicious

23 Likes

How does a surprise sandwich delivery happen?

To me a surprise #19 would be kind of like finding a horse’s head in my bed.

6 Likes

Did you work there when In N Out had their corporate HQ there? My friends and I had part time jobs in various shops down there and universally our experiences with the In N Out people were super nice. It made us like the company more.

They would also have trainees from other locations go into the office and when they would go into our stores, they were always so cheery.

It’s really amazing how much that center has changed over the years. Having Twohey’s, then Lee’s for one of the anchors, Herschel’s deli location also changing to all the different incarnations to al the different small stores. Trader Joe’s going in. The Improv’s original Irvine location before they moved.

That’s why it boggles me that Le Diplomat is still there. That really is an amazing run they have going.

4 Likes

While we’re getting nostalgic: Ray’s Pizza, Steelhead, and Cha. Cha was the first place I ever had boba. Le Dip was popular with the girls in high school (more sophisticated), most of the guys did Del Taco down the street and In n Out when we were feeling fancy and had time.

2 Likes

If fancy means drunk and stoned then yes.

Perhaps related, that InO is where I learned about animal style fries.

4 Likes

We were high school kids. Chicken Soft Tacos were haute cuisine. But yes, Del Taco was also the go-to for after football games, drinking, smoking, whatever. We felt like that was “our place”. We used to descend upon that place like a wake of vultures. At In ‘n’ Out we had to behave ourselves somewhat because we would be around refined college students and families.

3 Likes