January 2022 Rundown

That’s correct.

2 Likes

Green Cheek would be a good spot too. Those burgers are pretty damn good! The beer ain’t bad either. Speaking of which how is Monkish Anaheim?

4 Likes

Monkish Anaheim is great. Lots of outdoor patio seating. Can bring in any food from the packing district. They did a very nice job with the remodel. The best music if you like 90s hip hop. Might need earmuffs for the kids.

The only downsides are tough parking and no growler fills. All of the beer thus far is being shipped in from Torrance so the real test comes when they start pouring beer brewed in Anaheim. Henry, the owner, has been spotted in Anaheim very frequently so that bodes well.

4 Likes

I :heart: Shaanxi Garden.

Lamb skewers:

Lamb dumplings in chili oil:

Spicy beef rice noodle soup:

Big plate chicken:

I also :heart: Tire Shop.

Carne asada:

Chorizo:

25 Likes

Kaisendon lunch takeout from Iki Ramen (Ktown)… @CiaoBob may not approve of the truffle flakes, but I inhaled the whole thing in no time flat.

20 Likes

Lemon Curd Pancakes from Poach Kitchen, Irvine. Provides a healthy choice for breakfast and lunch.

11 Likes

I have no pictures but wanted to give a shout out to SOLA in Encino, which is one of my favorite valley finds. I honestly don’t know of a better place for home-style Japanese cooking in all of LA. There is no sushi or even sashimi here. Rather, it’s curry plates, grilled meats, sauteed vegetables, oden, etc.

Tonight I got an incredible curry udon, sauteed mushrooms, and a dashi omelette. All great. In the Valley, there’s a place called Daichan in Studio City that is widely beloved, but to me it holds no candle to SOLA. Check it out.

10 Likes

I would eat all 10 of those tacos!

You can get it “mixto” half asada half chorizo it’s pretty dank.

3 Likes

Looks good!

1 Like

Holy &%$&*! I can’t believe they’re still around! I hesitate in dating myself in how long ago I went to UCI, but man that is an OG place.

2 Likes

If you haven’t been to that plaza in a while you wouldn’t believe what it looks like now. I started working in the UCI research center off California. It’s pretty remarkable what the campus looks like now compared to a decade ago. Much better food options all around.

FYI the Anthill Pub has a pretty damn good selection of beers for a university bar. Russian River, 21st. It’s been awhile since I been there I thought they closed down a few years ago.

2 Likes

Oooh, thanks for the tip! I wish I knew that before.

1 Like

A civilized lunch at Lasita. Not pictured a skin contact wine from Georgia that went well with the Lechon.

7 Likes

Thanks for your reports! I’ve Been wanting to go for a while but worried it was just a gimick. Then after P was drooling about the Chilaquiles torta on Netflix… It was easy to convince him to head down…

Green Chilaquiles Burrito with Mixto

Gosh… it’s a beautiful mess. And you HAVE to admire them as they put it together. It’s just a dance… A light smear of beans as a foundation. freshly prepared chilaquilles, a FLUFFY egg omelet, cheese, then a MOUND of Carnitas and a dash of crema. You can do all meat (Maciza) or Mixto (Meat with with Cueritos). I love Cueritos and they help create a completely yielding burrito.

I also LOVE Costillas… so I had to get some Costilla tacos while the burrito rested…

REALLY. REALLY. REALLY. Good. Not the best I’ve had but they certainly did pull off the bone with just the slightest coaxing.

Overall… go for the burrito. I perfer the carnitas at Carnitas el Rey in Oxnard and Zamoras… but the Costillas are always the first sell out there. You gotta time it WELL. Also, this is a brunch hit. We hit it just before noon before there was a big line… by the time we finished our Trunk lunch, the line was considerable for a Saturday. The parking in the area is pretty tight, so have some patience and finally, don’t forget Ramirez Beverage Center is just up the street. A must hit no matter what.

–Dommy!

10 Likes

Yah, I really liked their costillas. I’m glad you guys finally went! I like them and happy to see them thriving.

1 Like

Thanks for the report and glad you enjoyed it! I just cannot not order that damn burrito. I had a carnitas torta which was darn good, however the burrito is something I crave and need to order it every time now. I wonder if they let you put costilla in the burrito as well?

In re: to the parking, it is a struggle but especially when their is a futbol game at the park, but definitely well worth the hassle.

1 Like

I like the breakfast burrito at the Poached in Downey.

2 Likes

Maybe. The joy of costilla is that it’s literally on the bone. Aside from that, it can be a bit drier and stringier than the masciza and of course, the Mixto is so lucious, I think those are the best two for the overall burrito form. But you can always ask… they seem really amiable. I saw them make some burritos with over easy eggs. OMG. I so wanted, but since we had to eat then and there, it would have been too messy. Made Over Easy Egg Bahn Mi this morning just to get it all out of my head…

1 Like