January 2022 Rundown

That burrito is the greatest burrito creation I’ve had in a long time. And only $10. Mariscos Jalisco and Tacos Y Birria La Unica down the street.

3 Likes

The chilaquiles sauce makes is surprisingly light to eat. Before you know it, it’s gone.

2 Likes

Is it just red chilaquiles or are there different flavor chilaquiles?

2 Likes

Get the mixed chilaquiles which is red and green combined.

3 Likes

Someone on yelp says they have red and green.

2 Likes

Daughters Deli. The sandwich is very similar to Langers but a few differences.

The sandwich was a little light on meat but still probably enough. They put yellow mustard on the sandwich. Don’t worry I already called the Department of Health. Good thing my friend has Guldens mustard in the house. The bread is still excellent and retained the crunch even after Postmates delivery. Pastrami was lovely. I’d be very happy if I lived in West Hollywood. No yellow mustard next time.

14 Likes

Wtf

5 Likes

Another reason to get their version of the #19. :wink:

I agree w/ you that it’s a bit light on the meat.

My contribution this month is Falafel, Inc., in Westwood (thanks to Eater LA). My normal go-to for a cheap lunch is the 1/2 sandwich + 2 sides at Gelson’s (which, bless their hearts is still only $6.99). Labor shortage (I assume) means that the deli counter can take awhile to make the sandwich, and I’m not hugely comfortable waiting around in one location right now. So I did an internet search for “cheap lunch LA” or something like that, and up popped the Eater LA article.

Yes, the falafel could be crisiper. I wish they’d use something other than spinach for the greens (only b/c I don’t like raw spinach). But, even in an absolute sense, the food is decent. For the price ($5 bowl + $1 for hummus), the QPR is outrageously good (IMHO). And apparently they partner w/ World Food Programme, which apparently delivers aid to refugees.

12 Likes

I foresee another NFT quote for Pete Wells’ upcoming column.

No pics because I was too busy eating. Finally got around to trying Karuba’s Yardy Kitchen in Inglewood, just a block west of Sunday Gravy, same side of the street.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/karubas-yardy-kitchen-inglewood-2

Got the jerk chicken, curry goat, four different patties: curry chicken, jerk chicken, beef and spinach. Also one of their housemade drinks, the pineapple ginger.

Really liked everything. The jerk chicken sauce had a nice bite but well balanced, chicken cooked well. Curry goat was tender and good sauce.

Liked all four patties and would definitely get the spinach and the curry chicken regularly. The drink was well made and very ginger heavy. They do warn you about that and offer a sample sip to make sure you’ll like it, which I thought was good customer service.

We liked it so much, we plan to return here soon and try out rest of the menu.

8 Likes

Alta West Adams

Alta fried chicken with Fresno hot sauce, and candied yams with candied pecans:

Smoked brisket with apple bbq sauce, and red beans & rice:

Mac & cheese:

Cornbread with honey butter:

Borneo Kalimantan in Alhambra

Chicken sate:

Nasi rendang:

Kwetiau goreng Borneo:

Panxa Cocina in Long Beach

Goat cheese stuffed squash blossoms (peach pico de gallo, poblano honey):

Scallops a la plancha (sweet corn pancakes, lime buerre Monté, cilantro pistou):

Chile dusted Niman Ranch pork chop (sweet corn-bacon succotash, hatch chile, red chile agave glaze):

Golden Delight in Rosemead

Chả giò (shrimp, pork, carrot, taro, wood ear mushrooms):

Stone bowl phở with ribeye, brisket, and beef balls:

Cà ri gà (chicken, pork blood, potato, carrot):

20 Likes

I assume still no outdoor seating, right?

1 Like

Nope :confused:

2 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Argh. Damn COVID surge. That food looks delicious.

1 Like

Lao gan ma noodles with chicken at Northern Cafe in Irvine. Great flavor but needed a little more heat. Good wok hei. The noodles really hit the spot for lunch today.

My new office is 5 mins away. Very happy to try more items at Northern Cafe. The UCI University Center has improved their offerings with Mendocino Farms, Chik Fil A, In n Out, Slapfish, Tender Greens, and Flippoly. It’s Irvine Company duh so keep that in mind. We’re in Irvine so beggars can’t be choosers.

12 Likes

But let’s not forget Le Diplomate

4 Likes

Le Diplomate is one of the OGs still going strong

Depending how much time you got on the other side of the 405 is also Yuk Dae Jang and Paderia.

If you got a transponder for the 73 you can make it to Shuck for some oysters after work and than bring home some Chicken Maison for the family!

Actually I think the 73 doesn’t become a toll until after Bison. I think

3 Likes

I take the 55 South to work and pass by Paderia, Oliboli and Cream Pan. I see a lot of delicious pastries in my future for team meetings.

4 Likes