January 2022 Rundown

Thanks, Now I’m craving Chicken Dijon. I used to be in the office tower right there, and Le Dip was a regular for me.

In hindsight, I think heating up chicken garlic sandwiches in the break room was a no-no

8 Likes

better than fish

1 Like

Langers w/ coleslaw and Swiss was not expecting to receive this today but having it show up at my door was an amazing suprise. I miss eating here on a more regular basis.

Bread was free making 1000x delicious

23 Likes

How does a surprise sandwich delivery happen?

To me a surprise #19 would be kind of like finding a horse’s head in my bed.

6 Likes

Did you work there when In N Out had their corporate HQ there? My friends and I had part time jobs in various shops down there and universally our experiences with the In N Out people were super nice. It made us like the company more.

They would also have trainees from other locations go into the office and when they would go into our stores, they were always so cheery.

It’s really amazing how much that center has changed over the years. Having Twohey’s, then Lee’s for one of the anchors, Herschel’s deli location also changing to all the different incarnations to al the different small stores. Trader Joe’s going in. The Improv’s original Irvine location before they moved.

That’s why it boggles me that Le Diplomat is still there. That really is an amazing run they have going.

4 Likes

While we’re getting nostalgic: Ray’s Pizza, Steelhead, and Cha. Cha was the first place I ever had boba. Le Dip was popular with the girls in high school (more sophisticated), most of the guys did Del Taco down the street and In n Out when we were feeling fancy and had time.

2 Likes

If fancy means drunk and stoned then yes.

Perhaps related, that InO is where I learned about animal style fries.

4 Likes

We were high school kids. Chicken Soft Tacos were haute cuisine. But yes, Del Taco was also the go-to for after football games, drinking, smoking, whatever. We felt like that was “our place”. We used to descend upon that place like a wake of vultures. At In ‘n’ Out we had to behave ourselves somewhat because we would be around refined college students and families.

3 Likes

I had forgotten about those!

:rofl: :rofl: “refined college students”

Get out of here ya punk high schooler!

2 Likes

Steelhead has been gone for 8 years (?) or so, but Ray is still slinging pizza! Couldnt beat that student special! Two slices and a coke for ~$5

1 Like

Jeez another one that’s hung on all these years. I definitely need to swing by there in the near future and check out the old stomping grounds. Maybe even pizza and a sandwich just for old time’s sake.

1 Like

Do it! The pizza tasted exactly the same

1 Like

Google photos tells me the last time I had a garlic chicken sandwich was 8 years ago. Tasted the same as it did 20 years ago.

5 Likes

Zot zot

I did. I was there from 2003 to about 2009. They had the top two floors. We were on the second floor with a balcony. Lots of happy hour shenanigans there.

Yep. Brita’s was always good for a solid business lunch, too.

1 Like

Hail Mary Pizza in Atwater Village.

I think they make some damn good pizza, but I’d go back just for the cake alone, tbh.

Giust-oh! (Swiss chard, Magic Myrna potatoes, Essex sheep’s milk feta, mornay sauce, lemon zest, black pepper):

Pep Pep (pork chorizo, pepperoncini, tomato sauce, honey, mozzarella):

Basque Cake (vanilla bean pastry cream filled almond crusted cake grilled to order in butter, with passion fruit curd and honey yogurt):

25 Likes

All Hail Hail Mary! Some recent visits

Rad Boi
Marinnated Radicchio, confit tomatoes, confit garlic, mozz, red sauce, finished with shaved gouda and black peper

Paired this with a glass of I Cangianti ‘Confine’ a skin contact San Colombano

Salami
I forgot what the description said but Salami, pickled (?) jalapenos, chili flake, confit tomato. Whatever it was it was delicious

Had a glass of Semillon with this if I remember correct

18 Likes

I also like their sourdough crust! They do tend to char em a lot more than other places though.

4 Likes

Wow we did Hail Mary this week too! I think their weirdo veggie pizzas are best in class. Had a Rad Boi and also a Madison v.2 - confit tomatoes, sheep’s milk feta, Moroccan black olive, winter greens, lemon, Calabrian chili.

ETA: garbage slice photo!!

Super bomb, and love their sourdough crust. I will say it doesn’t hold up as leftovers or through a long evening though - gets dense and hard pretty quick.

7 Likes