Johnny's West Adams

I STILL like the other, Johnnies occasionally for that non-jewish-style pastrami dip and awesome pickles. So i’d probably like the pastrami dip at this Johnny’s.

1 Like

Thanks @Dommy!

Are you talking about the one on Sepulveda @Gr8pimpin? I’m in that area about once a month and usually go with Tito’s Chili con Carne but will switch it up once, maybe. :wink:

1 Like

Yep. Been there like 100 years LOL! Cheap thin cut pastrami, like the Hat. Pretty fatty but I still like it.

But those pickles. Damn good, kosher style dills. They do frozen crinkle cuts, but always cooked right.

2 Likes

I don’t mind fatty as long as it’s tender fatty, lol.

Not sure how tender fatty. It’s so thinly shaved, and probably the cheapest pastrami there is. But they pile it high, and it’s tasty. Cash only.

1 Like

Ok,this place has been reviewed to death so I’ll just chime in with a few thoughts of my own.

Had Johnny’s as part of a Tripp’s Burger bang x2.

This was definitely not Jewish food. It was a smoked brisket place with a slight “ode to Jewish dishes” on the menu. Kind of like if I took over a Tex-Mex place and made cornbread with a hole in it and called it my Tex-Mex Bagel.

PASTRAMI

First the pastrami. My wife could not get past it not being a Jewish-style pastrami, coming from Miami and then New York (she did like the potato salad :yum:). But for me, I just looked at it is a really good smoked brisket sandwich. I liked the bread. I happen to like crunchy crusted bread like that. Again, completely not pastrami. So smokey, you wouldn’t know there’s pastrami seasoning on it and that it’s brined except for the black pepper and color of the meat. If you eat it and accept it just as it is, no expectations or comparisons, it’s delicious!

PASTRAMI RUEBEN

I don’t think I liked it as much as the pastrami with just mustard. It was dripping with Russian dressing, which was ok but even with the kraut and cheese it tasted too much like it was trying NOT to be a smoked brisket sandwich which really was what it was.

(What they call a) KNISH

The knish was NOT a knish. It was more like a stuffed croissant. @TheCookie may be more accurate comparing this to pot pie crust. Flaky puff pastry is definitely not anything I’ve ever had as a knish. That’s not to say I didn’t like it. It was very tasty, surprisingly moist filling. I personally couldn’t taste any of the pastrami or the sauerkraut, just potato. but the pastry was so light that I really enjoyed it. I didn’t bother with the gravy. Plain.

BURNT ENDS

My favorite thing at Johnny’s: BURNT ENDS!! Dipped in the whole grain mustard. $7. I’d be fine with just this. Juicy, heavily smoked, tender. The fat was really really terrific.

DRINKS WITH LAWN TRIMMINGS

The house soda shrub drink was tasty. Like someone cut their hedges and put it in an agua fresca. F—- paper straws. Less then 3 minutes in, it was completely collapsed and useless.

SOFT-SERVE S’MORES

Kid got the soft serve s’mores. Chocolate soft serve, cookies, chocolate sauce, torched fresh marshmallow. He loved it.

Got a Green goddess salad for wifey to take to work tomorrow. I’d have taken a photo but the kid threw it out with the garbage :man_facepalming:

BTW, two hours later and several blasts of hand sanitizer and several handwashings and my hands STILL smell like they were in a smoker.

I would go back for sure. But not for when I crave pastrami. But when I want BBQ.

16 Likes

+1. As a straw biter, I just can’t (and I can’t w/ metal straws, either).

Had people mentioned burnt ends before??? I also really like that.

Will probably wait until the weather cools down to try this place. Food sounds too heavy for a mild heat wave. :wink: Thanks for the review.

2 Likes

Burnt ends don’t look that burnt but they look delicious. I think burnt ends, salad, knish and smores would make a great meal.

1 Like

Funny! Good report. I’m glad you liked the Pastrami more than me. That’s why I gave the warning that I’m not a smoked meat gal… ymmv. I’m looking forward to the Corned Beef. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Wasn’t impressed. Might go back to try that soft serve tho. The price to deliciousness ratio was off.

1 Like

Im’ finding the pricing is actually lower than we’re used to for this level food. Guess because of the area

2 Likes

You know, i quite liked the chicken sandwich today. It’s juicy and flavorful. Enough paprika, light cayenne in the coating to keep me interested, i was also drenching with Frank’s red hot but it’s not spicy so i was also eating the spicy yellow pickled chilis. This would be great with some home brought hot sauce.

Fries need to be ordered fried hard though i like them.

Friend was mind blown at the pastrami. Still talking about it

9 Likes

YOOOO

Different experience but I dig it. Probably too sweet from the sauce + bun for me but love it anyway

2 more people became regulars today

RIP to dead man across the street. Bummed me out to see that

8 Likes

Oh my! Is that a BBQ Sammich?!

1 Like

Yep . Brisket… aka pastrami

2 Likes

HA! I love it… People complaining about no thin sliced french roll Pastrami… GOTCHU. People complaining about too smokey Pastrami… HowzaboutDIS.

4 Likes

Guess I have to go back… again . Just saw this

5 Likes

Kung Fury is rad, in case anyone is pining for the synthwave moviemaking.

2 Likes

Those are fuckin delicious.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE-pw1uj34l/

3 Likes