Johnny's West Adams

Still waiting for my bowl of hand-pulled Dun Huang noodles in Westwood Village…

Gotta go to Rowland Hts, or Brooklyn, where @kevin will greet you, meet you, and regale you with bucolic tales of grand, curmudgeonly characters and Lilliputian latkes.

1 Like

Thanks man.

1 Like

Whatttttt!!!??!!

https://twitter.com/frankshyong/status/1217994872214286336?lang=en

1 Like

Nice. Thanks for showing the patio. Who would’ve thunk. Mixed emotions because it was such a beloved hole-in-the-wall. But it does raise their prospects.

Thinking about doing this today. Al will probably be into the overly-smoked, more brisket than pastrami sandwich. I wouldn’t mind a bite of the Dip to remind me somewhat of the old Johnny’s. Has anyone had it yet? Edit: scratch that. I just saw @A5KOBE’s 2nd post. So my question is which is better the Dip or the Sandwich?

1 Like

Solid report @A5KOBE. Good details & info. Thanks.

Too bad about the overly-smoke pastrami - dealbreaker for me. But the salad & crispy kennebec fries sound great. Not sad about the no more latke… it looked a little thicker and less crispy than I like.

2 Likes

I mean it’s called pastrami but we just eat it as if it was called a bbq beef sandwich… it’s tremendous!

3 Likes

Thanks @Nemroz.

Baby boy is getting so big! But he still flares my cute aggression. Hard not to want to bite him.

1 Like

TOTALLY OT, but thinking of pastrami and latkes, A few weeks ago I was bored and saw a man v. food episode where he was in a place in Scottsdale that made pastrami sliders and instead of bread they used latkes.

They were definitely not my grandma’s, my moms or my latkes. But… YUM!

1 Like

Haha… what’s OT? My acronym lingo is bad. :grimacing:

1 Like

OT = off topic. I hope… I used it… correctly :joy:

2 Likes

Anyone know when Mian west adams is supposed to open?

No. I drive by the supposed location often and no real movement. It’s kinda the sad little Yangs local that was supposed to open over at the Farmers market… You hope it was not forgotten…

Gotcha’! :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, IIRC, restaurants offered one or the other, but this being L.A. with a diverse customer base, I notice a lot of menus offer a Matzo Ball add-on for the Chicken Noodle Soup. Sometimes I get it, sometimes not (depending on the place) because it can be too heavy. But I just had Johnny’s that comes with both - perfectly light and perfectly perfect… butter be damned. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Glad you liked the matzo ball soup, it’s definitely a highlight.

Gotta love how cuisine is not static

1 Like

Personally, I don’t mind having both.

I can’t pick on the butter until I try it LOL!

1 Like

In the case of Johnny’s Matzoh Ball Soup it just tasted wrong (for me and my friends). I’m not adhering to Kosher dietary laws, but it was unnecessary. Like Butter on Sushi.

Sure Butter tastes good by itself, on Sushi (or Matzoh Ball Soup)? It felt unnecessary. And the Matzoh Balls were pretty terrible on our visit (dense, rubbery, thick).

1 Like

We ate Atlantic butterfish when I lived in Florida.

1 Like