Johnny's West Adams

Yep . Brisket… aka pastrami

2 Likes

HA! I love it… People complaining about no thin sliced french roll Pastrami… GOTCHU. People complaining about too smokey Pastrami… HowzaboutDIS.

4 Likes

Guess I have to go back… again . Just saw this

5 Likes

Kung Fury is rad, in case anyone is pining for the synthwave moviemaking.

2 Likes

Those are fuckin delicious.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE-pw1uj34l/

3 Likes

so thaaat’s what that’s for… always thought that space was a bit too good to be true for our Pastrami visits… it’s where we always opted to sit.

same owners as Johnny’s? does this bar not have a name or did i miss again

I believe the original plan was to open a brewery… but that can bit a bit ambitious and Party Beer just opened up up the street…

Was this what was supposed to the the Tony Yanow brewpub??

Party beer? Checking !

Yes please! It’s actually a real PITA to open up a brewery in the City of L.A. which is why so many are in the environs… So it’s great these guys kept true to their word to being in West Adams (We had to sign a petition to allow them open). They are putting out some good product and MICHIS!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CExS0NPJZUF/

I try not to wax poetic about the future… but a pick up from Johnnys then stop by to enjoy some frosty ones here… Will be done…

1 Like

gentryfication transformation almost complete :PPP which spot is the Yanow one? or is his paused? do you know?

1 Like

Party Beer is run by some neighborhood guys. Not Yanow… you talk about Gentrification… I wouldn’t sign a petition for him to open at all. And taking a look at the info about his supposed place… It is in “West Adams Arts District” West of La Brea… which we in the neighborhood don’t call West Adams… but… “Culver Adjacent”

3 Likes

Just a wise crack. I support all ethical development and any and all breweries

2 Likes

On my way back from a Bar and Garden pick up… I stopped by Johnnies since I was jonesing for Chickie Tendies… I was lucky to find a street spot… but since the bar is open… they do have a parking garage with valet! It’s a little hidden… but it’s the brick building right next to the bar with the big Carpets sign. And although there is a door on Adams and a lovely neon detail on the building it occupies… you enter via the Johnny’s courtyard… I can only imagine how lovely it is at night…

It wasn’t open at lunch time… but I took a peek in and it’s well stocked and there were clear marked social distancing spots right outside the door. Here is the drink menu…

I am a huge chicken tender fan. I mean… even the ones from Crispy Crunchy Chicken will do (They actually are super good… much better than most Fast Food and Supermarket options). I’ve been wanting to try Johnny’s for a while and was very please with what I got for my $7!

They were huge! Even though it took me about 10 minutes to get home… the crust was still remarkably crispy. The spicing is also really nice. The tender inside was indeed tender and juicy.
Is it as good as Howling Rays. No. The crust is thinner and the spice dust not nearly as nuanced. But it certainly was better than most Chicken Tenders out there. The Remoulade dipping sauce was also quite good.

The salad was all delicious and well composed as ever. We also got the Ruben for the first time and although the portions is still great for the price… The bread again was overly toasted and for the first time got that Lighter Fluid taste others have mentioned. It was slight… but still brought in an unfortunate acrid note to another wise flavorful and delicious Pastrami sandwich.

Next time I’ll get the salad, tendies and the BBQ sandwich since it’s not that Marble Rye which just HIDES the char from the over toasting…

–Dommy!

13 Likes

SInce you mentioned it, have you noted a lighter fluid on the pargiyot chicken thighs at Mizlala WA?
My wife was complaining abut it last time we went. She’s really sensitive too it - so much so that she hates any sushi seared by a torch. Doesn’t really bother me.

Ah yes… the sushi torch… It doesn’t bother me… but I don’t get the appeal… ANYWAY…

I rarely get the Pargiyot Thighs… I mainly get the Shawarma (sadly they were out by the time we got there at 8p in the evening) and the Meatball. Both to me have not tasted overly strong of char of acrid like lighter fluid.

1 Like

Still killing it with the MBS. OMG. So good.

11 Likes

My favorite matzo ball… must be the butter. :relaxed:

As someone who has started traveling a bit… I can not tell you how happy this makes me… Johnnys is open until Midnight again. The idea of coming home and having a nice bowl of Matzoh Ball Soup or a great dip with slaw… yay!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjGkKxwPNGe/

7 Likes