Julian, CA eats and things to see/do?

Going to Julian for the day. We ‘be been there before and recall only apple pie and
knick-knacks to buy. Any input re best food and interesting things to do/places to visit would be appreciated. TIA

1 Like

I adore the apple cider mini doughnuts.

1 Like

Any special place for them?

Haven’t been in a few years but used to cruise through there a lot. All the diners in town are uniformly uninteresting. There’s one tourist shop with a wide selection of pickles and apple stuff (cider, etc) that I liked.

Nickel Brewery just outside of town is a nice stop. The Julian Cider company also has a tasting bar in a big repurposed barn. The Cherry Bomb flavor is surprisingly good.

If you’re cruising around the area, the diner at Lake Henshaw is a cut above anything in Julian if not exactly a foodie destination. There’s also a nearby bird-viewing lookout a little ways up Palomar mountain where you’ve got a good chance at seeing golden eagles.

Some good farmstands and good mexican at Jilberto’s near the Pauma reservation on 76.

For non food stuff I recommend getting out of town, walking around Lake Cuyamaca, then driving down the Sunrise Highway. It’s a beautiful stretch of road and you can pop off at Kyaaymii Point and hike a bit of the PCT with a very dramatic overlook of the Anza Borrego desert.

Never been, but there’s also a wolf rescue in Julian that you can visit by appointment.

1 Like

We go to Julian at least once a year for cider and pie. On our most recent visit we got take out from Julian Beer Company and were happy with the pulled pork sandwich. You also might try Jeremy’s on the Hill which is still getting good reviews per Yelp. I believe Mom’s sells cider donuts. Don’t miss the Berry Apple Crumb pie from Julian Pie Company, and add a scoop of cinnamon ice cream. I look forward to that treat every year.

1 Like

Thanks. Went last week. Will save your recs for next time.