July 2019 Weekend Rundown

Is the beef rendang at Simpang the dish to get?

I only had the char kway teow

If memory serves me right, the proprietors are not Chinese-Indonesian. I’d lean towards the more traditional Indonesian side of the menu - nasi bungkus, mantep padang, mi bakso, soto, uduk jakarta… etc.

Rendang is delicious. Haven’t had the char kway teow in a long time but I don’t remember it being particularly out of this world. The table next to me had it and said it was delicious they are serving it in a heated plate now for extra presentation cred.

Cafe Gratitude, Venice.

For all you key lime pie fans.

1 Like

Uhhh please pass me the sugar lol :upside_down_face:.

How did it taste?

2 Likes

Believe it or not, it was on the sweet side. Probably agave syrup, which I do not like at all.

1 Like

Went to Lukshon for a 2-course $20 DineLA lunch with $9 dessert supplement.

Pictured above; DineLA lunch menu and regular lunch menu

Items ordered pictured above: Spicy Chicken Pops; Sesame Noodles; $9 DineLA Dessert supplement of Lukshon “dim sum” — basically ice cream bon bons filled with pineapple and kaffir ice cream covered in white chocolate; “A Day at the Beach” a la carte dessert $14.

As FTCers have frequently remarked, the food is quite bold so I ended up having a 2nd dessert to refresh my palate.

The server told me they brought back the “A Day at the Beach” melon dessert I had during last year’s inaugural tasting menu. Made with compressed melon and various tropical fruit, it’s such a beautiful and delicious Asian fusion dessert.

Here’s the complete dessert menu:

Not a cheap eat, but I always take into account Lukshon’s free parking and free sparkling water and it appeared there was a discount by getting the 2-course $20 lunch during DineLA as opposed to regular ALC prices.

The ladies restroom has the most beautiful water basin I’ve ever seen - it looks like faux red cloisonné, always get a kick out of seeing it.

PS: While the $9 dessert supplement was good, I recommend ordering a full size dessert instead for a few more dollars.

5 Likes

Torimatsu - Gardena

Sasami ponzu ~ rare chicken breast in ponzu sauce. The chicken was super tender and the ponzu was excellent.

Tsukune (chicken meatball) and Negima (chicken and green onion)

Tebasaki (chicken wing)

Motsu (chicken liver)

Ozura (quail egg) and Shishito chicken (chicken and shishito)

Stuffed bell pepper and Shiso-maki (chicken with shiso)

Chicken soup

Sesame Ice Cream - pretty good stuff

We had more but I forgot to take pictures or I ate them too fast. Overall, the chicken is really good and the binchotan flavor really came through. And they take reservations. Sapporo and smokey chicken it really a perfect combo. The waitresses work extremely hard, they are practically running back and forth in the tiny dining room.

11 Likes

Wow looks good I have never heard of rare chicken served in the US I thought it was illegal.

2 Likes

Inaba, Torrance.

Great deal on lunch specials.

5 Likes

I haven’t ever seen rare chicken either, glad I tried it because it was not the texture I was expecting, perhaps excellent sourcing. It was super tender and the flavor of the ponzu was excellent. And I didn’t have any after effects so don’t fret!

1 Like

A5 Wagyu from Wolfgang Puck.

My friend brought me dinner. It literally melts in one’s mouth. I’ve had wagyu, but never anything on this level.

6 Likes

That’s a good friend!

3 Likes

All this talk about Carnitas and then the Netflix Doc meant that a trip to Zamoras was in order…

We arrive a bit past peek dinner time so a lot of the evening Carnitas Batch was a bit picked over… still… we found some nice pieces to take home…

!

The Chicharron section was VERY nice… Airy… meaty and inbetween… We like the inbetween because it retains it’s crunch even in salsa…

!

We have yet to try one of these Lamb heads… but they are quite popular and contain quite a lot of meat!

!

At check out we saw they had Papalo and Verdolagas… So I picked some Verdolagas up for tomorrow’s breakfast of Huevo con Weenie…

But first… DINNER!! Another thing that Zamora makes sure you don’t leave without is their handmade Tortillas… they are plumpy… but very delicious and quite pliable… SUPER warm when they hand them over to you. Also, they have several salsas for sale, but we like their roasted Salsa de Molcajete.

Cut it all up… juicy tender carnitas with a bit of chew at the edge!

And TACOS! Since this is L.A… I had to have them with a smear of Ducal… and Guac from another local market… With the crispy bits from the chicharon and fire from salsa… the most was of this handful of porkiness…

18 Likes

Good report @Dommy! Full of flavorful knowledge. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Went to Bar Ama for a DineLA lunch, thinking I might not like it given the mixed reviews, but it was a pretty good meal.

Massive Chicken Milanesa Torta with arbol chilaquiles.

Churro Funnel Cake - this is what drew me in - a marriage of light, crispy funnel cake with churro flavors of cinnamon, drizzled with syrups and topped with vanilla ice cream. It was really ooey gooey like a sticky toffee pudding.

5 Likes

Le Mirage (Anaheim Little Arabia)

Arabic Ice Cream.

Perhaps the only place that I know that serves Arabic ice cream. I never even knew this existed.
Flavor: creamy, slightly sweet, floral/piney, studded with pistachios.
Texture: more firm than traditional ice cream.

Interesting.

For some of you in LA this might be worth a drive over.

Glad to try it, but personally I can’t get past the floral notes.
For reference at Mashti Malone’s and Sweet Rose I avoid the ice cream with rose water

3 Likes

Jiang Nan Spring

Got the Shanghainese classics!!

I love the Lions Head here! The top fat layer of the Dong Po Pork is a small piece of heaven. The fish…the fry was a miss for me.

Get the Lions Head. The owner told me the secret is adding a little tofu

4 Likes

LOL - It’s the worst kept secret in Chinese cooking.

Had bartz bbq at la ale works some of the best bbq I’ve had in Los Angeles ever, although admittedly that’s a relatively low bar.

We did the 1lb ghost pepper pork ribs which weren’t too hot well balanced sauce, 2 lbs of brisket lean and fat (way better than slabs), 1/2 lb of burnt ends using pork belly instead of the traditional brisket portion, bbq spaghetti, pastrami lamb shank and a host of sides smoked cream corn, jalapeño cornbread, bbq beans, and bacon Mac.

Smoke and tenderness were perfect for all of the meats, fat and lean brisket we’re super juicy. Ribs were fall apart tender but still maintaining appropriate meatiness. Pork belly burnt ends were revaltory as I never knew such things existed.

If you ever see them pop-up Please check them out.

3 Likes