July 2023 Rundown

No photos but had carnitas El artists in Inglewood and it was pretty damn good. The mixta carnitas contain cuero and buche well seasoned and cooked.

They are really stingy with the salsas and the tortillas were pretty meh. But it’s a decent buy for 16/lb

4 Likes

Tacos El Chapoteco, North LBC

New Sinaloa style truck!

Never had a chorreada but I like it very much. The torito I guess is like a quesadilla but has a roasted pepper with cheese on it. Also they have a agua de cebada (barley). Horchata like in a way.

Support your local rainbow umbrella fruit cart :heart:

9 Likes

@Dommy

Gorditas LA @Patata

Gorditas de guisado. Masa freshly pressed, filled, and fried to perfection. Spectacular gorditas. Got potato and chorizo and tinga.

8 Likes

I been obsessed with Mexican this past month lol as you can tell

3 Likes

What’s this place called?

Gorditas la patata?

1 Like

It’s at Atlantic and Patata. The place is called Gorditas LA. If you are in the area I really liked the potato and chorizo gorditas.

There is a gorditas place at Wilmington though

5 Likes

What’s the Wilmington one called?

Las Gorditas Chingonas

4 Likes

Go to Quesadillas Estilo D.F. at Patata St for their gordita de chicharron prensado. Add the red and green salsa on the tables and pow, and explosion of concentrated pork flavor. The exterior is light yet super crispy and the Tias making them are so nice.

They also have a pombazo de chorizo con papa and really awesome tlayudas con nopales.

5 Likes

La Serenata de Garibaldi (West LA). There have been relatively few people there on our last few meals there. Not sure why since I think the food is really solid (and nearby Don Antonio’s – which I also really like – is always packed on Fri evening).

Chicken mole and molcajete pictured (both very tasty). Not pictured: ceviche (fine) and the house salsa (great). Wonder if the Landmark theaters closure has been hurting business. This place isn’t sexy or new, but it’s quite tasty. Go visit, folks!

Nearby is The Boil Daddy. One table of six and that was it on a Friday night. Yikes. Haven’t tried it myself. Has anyone been to any of their locations?

5 Likes

We get take out from La Serenata fairly often. Love the quesadillas and generally feel like everything is high quality. Hope they stick around.

1 Like

Skip the buttermilk and get the Butterfly at Primo’s (Sawtelle and National)

Come after the morning rush and enjoy the quiet old school environment, and chatting up the employee.

3 Likes

Marden’s HCR….this bangs HARD. I would go easy on that soy.

7 Likes

@Dommy gave a tip in 2016 for menudo at Chichen Itza. Known as modongo in Yucatán region. Available on the weekend mornings.

So good! It’s a little tomatoey and the tripe is some of the best I ever had in soup form.

Go next door to Vista Hermosa. Scrambled eggs and cactus, rice/beans, and 3 tortillas with some cafe de olla.

Makes this the perfect breakfast.

My summer of Mexican food continues!

10 Likes

YAY! So glad you like it!! I really can’t do Menudo… but that Mondongo… Sr. does it right!!!

I didn’t know that VH had Cafe de Olla… I always get at the Oaxaca California stand… will have to do a compare! :smiley:

Since you are coming up this way… have you been to Tacos Los Cholos yet? (The current TacoMadness champ?) They have a location in HP now on Pacific. Their AHM taco is amazing. it’s like a Chile Relleno base for any of their meats.

6 Likes

I’ve had the tacos at the Anaheim location and I thought the meat was pretty good.

An Anaheim chile pepper with cheese is good on everything lol so that taco or burrito would be up my alley

3 Likes

On the menu in HP it’s written as Ahm’Taco, and when I went for the first time I assumed it was some regional specialty I hadn’t heard of and ordered it phonetically (one aamtaco please) like a total doofus. Did not realize it’s just an abbreviation of Anaheim. Really good taco tho!

1 Like

They are expanding rapidly. Fullerton, Buena Park, HP. Good smokey char grilled meats and a good salsa bar.

2 Likes

Uptown Provisions (Whittier)

Their weekend special was a fresh focaccia sandwich with mortadella, stracciatella, house made pistachio pesto, arugula, Calabrian chile and house pickled onions. It was giant. I split it and was comfortably full.

I also cleared their supply of Jeni’s Frosé minis.

9 Likes

I saw Matsumoto peaches (I think) at Eataly in Century City this weekend, for future reference.

3 Likes