June 2016 Weekend Rundown

Raku

Daily special oyster

Shima aji, outstanding. Chef Matt is killing it.

Grilled salmon belly, highlight of the night, crispy fatty, smoky and just melts in your mouth.

Pork cheeks and iberico pork, so porky it started stuttering :pig:

Portobello stuffed with asajime ground chicken

Deep fried asajime chicken

Teba wing

Agedashi tofu

Foie gras, the skewers helped me shove this down my throat.

Udon with foie gras egg custard

10 Likes

Started off the b’day weekend with Lunch at Providence, then had a lil food tour on Saturday. Bang bang bang bang ad infinitum.

Forgive me father for I have sinned. It’s been three days since my last salad…

HOWLIN’ RAY’S
Country White Breast/Wing and Mild Sandwich

BULGARINI GELATO
Pistachio / Strawberry / White Peach

Hazelnut / Nectarine

WALKER INN
The menu right now is themed around “Climate.” I took pictures of the cocktails, but they’re not worth sharing on account of the lighting. We had the Water Cycle (which was three 1/2 cocktails), Rice Paddy and Mediterranean. All were very very good, with the Rice Paddy probably standing out as the favorite. It tasted like morning dew, man!

CASSELL’S HAMBURGERS

COTTONHI

SUL & BEANS

10 Likes

Sounds like a fun way to celebrate. Happy belated birthday!

1 Like

I was treated to dinner at Tavern’s 3rd annual Low Country Boil last night. Not familiar with this type of cuisine, but for me the dinner had both hits and misses. Favorites included the creamed corn, sausage chunks in the boil, and dessert. Lows included my first bite of tomato in the heirloom tomato and watermelon salad (mealy) and too-rich-for-me grits and gravy. Service was impeccable. One of the runners saw I checked in on the Copa America game in the bar area and switched the TV visible from our table over to the game so I could watch the penalty kicks.

11 Likes

Went to their one two years ago. Was disappointed for basically same reasons you cite, but service was great. Had a low country dinner at Hatchet Hall in March, which had the best shrimp and grits I’ve ever had. If you like low country, try HH out. For more info, see @aesthete post.

2 Likes

Word. Hatchet Hall remains unreal.

I went back recently almost immediately after getting back to LA from Mexico City.

I like your pictures @MaladyNelson.

2 Likes

[quote=“chinchi, post:181, topic:3444”]
Low Country Boil
[/quote] Love a good boil.

Welcome back @Aesthete!

Wow @J_L. Were they really that red in person?

1 Like

Yes indeedy.
At $22 for 3 baskets, those berries better be damn near perfect. (And they were.)

Ritters SKC. I understand now.

1 Like

Just FYI - get Harry’s with the intention of eating them within 24 hours. They are picked pretty much at/very near peak ripeness - that’s part of why they are so good - so they are delicate beauties. We have had luck keeping them longer using methods easily found on the online.

1 Like

What did you get? We usually get the house pan roast but tried the chicken and sausage pan roast when we were there Sunday. The house is better, but the chicken and sausage is better from a QPR standpoint. Their clam chowder is a winner, too.

I got the crab pan roast and added sausage; I think shrimp / crab / sausage would be really good. I don’t really need clams or lobster in my pan roast.

The fried okra was also pretty good; the fried soft shell crabs were fine as an accompaniment to beer, but not a particularly fine example of soft shelled crabs IMO.

1 Like

Yah… I found that out. I was so excited to find them that I bought too many, and ended up freezing some berries for smoothies. It kind of seems a shame to do that but…

How is this place?

The place was packed to the gills, but tables opened up pretty quickly. This was my first time trying shaved snow/ice bowls like this, so I don’t have any other versions to compare it to, but I liked it. We tried the traditional matcha version and added the strawberries on the side, which was pretty key since it brought a bit more flavor/sweetness. I wish there were more chunks of the Injeolmi (which, as @Nemroz noted when she informed me of this place, is basically like the Korean mochi).

Most every table also had a version of the toast. Unfortunately, with our Cottonhi pitstop just before, we opted to skip it this trip. Here’s a pic I found that shows the toast, plus some other bowl options:

2 Likes

Aww, you’re too kind, @TheCookie!

1 Like

Thanks Prez Mochi. We’ve been meaning to try Sul n Beans. There are rumors of expansion to Rowland Heights and the OC but yet to see more info.

Most of the popular Korean shaved ice places add lots of other toppings like fruit, Korean mochi, cereal, ice cream, red beans, condensed milk, etc… then they mix it all up and pour into smaller serving bowls. It’s a nice treat for hot summer days but the offering at Sul n Beans looks a little more refined.