June 2016 Weekend Rundown

Went to their one two years ago. Was disappointed for basically same reasons you cite, but service was great. Had a low country dinner at Hatchet Hall in March, which had the best shrimp and grits I’ve ever had. If you like low country, try HH out. For more info, see @aesthete post.

2 Likes

Word. Hatchet Hall remains unreal.

I went back recently almost immediately after getting back to LA from Mexico City.

I like your pictures @MaladyNelson.

2 Likes

[quote=“chinchi, post:181, topic:3444”]
Low Country Boil
[/quote] Love a good boil.

Welcome back @Aesthete!

Wow @J_L. Were they really that red in person?

1 Like

Yes indeedy.
At $22 for 3 baskets, those berries better be damn near perfect. (And they were.)

Ritters SKC. I understand now.

1 Like

Just FYI - get Harry’s with the intention of eating them within 24 hours. They are picked pretty much at/very near peak ripeness - that’s part of why they are so good - so they are delicate beauties. We have had luck keeping them longer using methods easily found on the online.

1 Like

What did you get? We usually get the house pan roast but tried the chicken and sausage pan roast when we were there Sunday. The house is better, but the chicken and sausage is better from a QPR standpoint. Their clam chowder is a winner, too.

I got the crab pan roast and added sausage; I think shrimp / crab / sausage would be really good. I don’t really need clams or lobster in my pan roast.

The fried okra was also pretty good; the fried soft shell crabs were fine as an accompaniment to beer, but not a particularly fine example of soft shelled crabs IMO.

1 Like

Yah… I found that out. I was so excited to find them that I bought too many, and ended up freezing some berries for smoothies. It kind of seems a shame to do that but…

How is this place?

The place was packed to the gills, but tables opened up pretty quickly. This was my first time trying shaved snow/ice bowls like this, so I don’t have any other versions to compare it to, but I liked it. We tried the traditional matcha version and added the strawberries on the side, which was pretty key since it brought a bit more flavor/sweetness. I wish there were more chunks of the Injeolmi (which, as @Nemroz noted when she informed me of this place, is basically like the Korean mochi).

Most every table also had a version of the toast. Unfortunately, with our Cottonhi pitstop just before, we opted to skip it this trip. Here’s a pic I found that shows the toast, plus some other bowl options:

2 Likes

Aww, you’re too kind, @TheCookie!

1 Like

Thanks Prez Mochi. We’ve been meaning to try Sul n Beans. There are rumors of expansion to Rowland Heights and the OC but yet to see more info.

Most of the popular Korean shaved ice places add lots of other toppings like fruit, Korean mochi, cereal, ice cream, red beans, condensed milk, etc… then they mix it all up and pour into smaller serving bowls. It’s a nice treat for hot summer days but the offering at Sul n Beans looks a little more refined.

Mochilato doesn’t mix the toppings in.

Good to know. It does end up a big soupy mess when they mix everything in. But it’s also hard getting anything but a tray of mochi and some Beard Papa at Michilato.

Finally made it to Shake Shack and I liked it. Line was only a few minutes long. Burger has a good flavor and a nice crisp char with fresh ingredients plus I really like the soft potato bun. The burger was smaller than I had imagined. Also had Chick 'n Shack and that was even better. But truth be told I’m an LA native and for me
In 'N Out will always be first in my heart.

1 Like

Yep… We’re Angelinos. We may enjoy Shake Shack. But our heart will always be with In 'N Out.

3 Likes