Kalinka - Russian in Glendale

Open for one month, I’ve been there seven times. Service is charming. Two young women who clearly want to make this a good experience.

The hot borsht is the best I’ve ever had. With sliced beets, potatoes, and chunks of tender beef, topped with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of dill. Yum.

The Chicken Kotleti is my next favorite dish. Explained as a chicken cutlet, I thought it would be a sliced piece of chicken. Thankfully it was not. It’s ground chicken with special spices, breaded and deep fried. And as I’ve learned, it’s served with the same thing as all the dishes: pickled cabbage and lettuce. Note to file: These are best fries.

Beef Stroganoff is not great. Here’s the goulash, which is great, with mashed potatoes. I’m not sure what the difference is between stroganoff and goulash, but in this instance it’s mushrooms.

It’s expensive for lunch, but they have lunch specials. One day, they had Makaroni po flotskiy. I asked what it was and the waitress went to great lengths to remember, and then tell me this was the pasta “makaroni” that was served to the Russian navy.

It was basically spaghetti with hamburger and a little ketchup. But it was good. And it had the requisite pickled cabbage and lettuce.

The lunch special is normally $12-$13. If you order a’ la carte, it can get to $35 for lunch.

4 Likes

7 times in a month? Wow! You clearly fancy one of the ladies. I’d hang out there. Maybe I’ll take my dad out for lunch

V sadu yagoda kalinka malinka moya

1 Like

that looks terribad

молодец!

1 Like

Russian food isn’t exactly 'gram friendly. Maybe caviar.

This is tangential, but Nemroz you should check out a wonderful cookbook entitled “Kachka”. I have made several dishes from it for my Russian friends and they loved them. Recipes from many areas of the former USSR.

I’ve seen it. It’s a bit weird for me to get a cookbook seeing how i can make most of the stuff already and just ask mom or aunties for the things i dont know, like the thing last weekend.

1 Like

Boroviks are gorgeous to shoot.

Great win over 'SC last weekend, by the way.

Makes sense. Although I still hunt recipes for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding although my family is from York. I do love the story of how the restaurant got its name.
Enough hijacking the the thread. Happy thanksgiving all!

I do actively seek out and make Armenian recipes. Guess they’re more interesting for me. Seasoning and all lol

All wins over SC are great :slight_smile:

The real best thing to take a photo of is the face of a non-Russian when they are confronted with kholodets

Hi @bruins,

I had to Google that. :slight_smile: At least from the first few links it doesn’t look bad at all. It looks like a variation of something you find on a charcuterie board. :wink:

https://russiapedia.rt.com/of-russian-origin/kholodets/

Or are there wilder versions? :slight_smile:

I will say that, while delicious (it’s basically just congealed stew), homemade kholodets does not usually look particularly…refined (at heart, it’s chunky meat jelly)

1 Like

that’s right. kholodets is just meats in aspic, there are plenty french things in aspic. where we’re from it’s on usually only the cowfoot meat in the aspic which is just the broth of the cowfoot. it’s amazing with russian mustard… armenians and russians put all sorts of things in the xolodets though.

1 Like

Hahahaha. Maybe I just found the anthem for this restaurant.

Kalinka

only the most popular russian tune and surely the source of the restaurant name

2 Likes

Late notice, but Darra Goldstein, one of the great Russian food historians (and she also helped engineer the trade of Stoli coming to the US in exchange for Pepsi going to the USSR), is speaking at Now Serving LA at 11 on Saturday morning. I’m biased because she was also my professor, but I think she’s great.

3 Likes

And you’ll go to PRD afterwards?