Kazan Beverly Hills

I feel like truffle oil is very divisive. Personally, I can’t stand truffle oil and find it overpowering. It’s hard to describe the taste to me, but like a chemical gone bad, not sure which chemical though. There are many who don’t know that it’s specifically the truffle oil they hate, they just know they don’t like the dish at whatever place.

Hope this doesn’t come back as a trend. When it was I had to ask all the time about if the fries had truffle oil in them, which always ended up being an offensive question.

1 Like

I didn’t know McDonald’s offered truffle oil as a condiment…

1 Like

This stuff? It’s not expensive enough to contain enough real truffle to matter. Who knows what the “truffle flavors” are.

Who said you couldn’t BYOC to McDonald’s?

4 Likes

Yup that’s the stuff. Don’t know if it’s infused with fake truffle flavors but it’s delicious. Trust me.

1 Like

That’s funny truffle oil was the only complaint I had at
iki ramen

4 Likes

Tatsu is an tourist instagram trick restaurant, especially the one on Melrose next to Pink’s. You drive by, you see the line and you get in.

The gluten free ramen is way better than the regular one, it’s not bad. Great place to go if you have a celiac friend, they actually make it in a separate kitchen that’s gluten free and use separate bowls that have never touched gluten. Also, really good fried rice with excellent wok hei, though I haven’t been in about two years.

1 Like

Saint Bourdain told us about avoiding truffle oil over a decade ago

3 Likes

Eater thinks FTC love Kazan. :roll_eyes:

Blockquote Folks seem to be loving the new Japanese restaurant Kazan in Beverly Hills for a lot of different reasons, not least of which is this awesome graphic showing chef Ryu Isobe’s journey from leaving Tatsu to opening his own new noodle spot. Give the whole thing a hi-res look over at Food Talk Central.

3 Likes

seems like #fakenews to me

2 Likes

After reading the EaterLA blurb, I thought, “Oh maybe people are singing their praises on Yelp”. And I saw this:

They don’t list the names of their entrees in English?
For real?
Does that make them super “authentic”?

Edit to add translations (Men means noodles)

1. しょうゆ麺 Shoyu Men
  2. 塩麺 Shio Men
  3. クリーミー麺 Creamy Men
  4. 鶏肉と醤油麺 Chicken and Shoyu Men
  5. 鶏肉と塩麺 Chicken and Shio Men
  6. 鶏肉とクリーミー麺 Chicken and Creamy Men
  7. ラム火山麺 Lamb Kazan Men
  8. ビーガン麺 Vegan Men

Yah it’s pretty ridiculous, whoever randomly grabbed our FTC thread without actually reading what was in the thread.

2 Likes

The author linked to the post above with the comic. I don’t think he meant to suggest that the folks who are loving the place are necessarily here.

Maybe they changed it in the last two days, but the menu I saw was completely in English. I did not see the one in the picture you posted (and instead saw the one that @skramzlife posted.) with the addition of a vegan ramen.

1 Like

I’m so pissed that I some how missed this thread before going to Kazan last Friday. The ramen is downright awful. As others have mentioned, it was an overpriced truffle oil/butter salt bomb. This ramen was hands down the most upsetting thing I ate all year. I’m still waiting for Ashton Kutcher to come out to tell me I’ve been Punk’d with a bowl of Iki’s yuzu shio ramen in his hands.

7 Likes

You crack me up as I also get very upset and cranky when I am served food I don’t like, especially when it is food that has been hyped somewhere by someone. :slight_smile: Lemonade anyone (among other monstrosities)?

3 Likes

Maybe the Eater author was talking about folks on Yelp, where so far it has 14 reviews, 13 of them five stars.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kazan-beverly-hills

1 Like

Lemonade is good for me, so long as I stick to the salad selections - albeit a little pricey. I avoid the hot food and sandwiches, tho…

2 Likes

I mean shio by definition should be salty but sounds like it’s overdone for effect. I’m not going based on your feedback. I have no morbid curiosity

Yes! Divine is exactly the right word for that honey.