Keeping Cantonese cooking alive.....Pearl River Delta/Deli and Needle

from what i’ve heard, a change in menu, more of an a la carte style so you can order more proteins if needed. i think they are also working on family style menus.

Also, allergen warning on the zhong plz.

1 Like

Pork Bun was straight legendary today - reached epic crunch levels.

5 Likes

@JeetKuneBao
I’m a bit late to your starting post on this thread.

But your observations coincide with my own. I am from Vancouver, Canada, with a extensive history of immigrant Cantonese. As you probably know, our Chinese food scene is known for HK style food. But more and more with the increase of wealthy (what some call) ‘mainlanders’ moving here, we’re seeing it being taken over by Mainland cuisines and all the spicy foods you’ve stated (shui zhu yu fish, rice noodle soup, spicy hot pot, cumin meat skewers, corporate bubble tea)

I am very fond of our Chinatown, and must sadly note how it’s virtually all but disappeared over the course of time. Even the sounds and smells are gone. I know exactly what you mean about the younger generation not wanting to take over the business, and instead decide to sell it. Although I thought it was, apparently not even ‘heritage’ buildings are immune from this, as people find clever ways to slowly ‘modify’ the interior of buildings, until they’re allowed to just change it completely. I’m even suspicious of one local case, where a longtime restaurant was sold, and within months, a fire caught the place by ‘accident’. The owner was able to collect insurance on it, and rebuilt it as a fancy new restaurant. Sounds suspicious?

I too love the dai pai dongs of Hong Kong, and lament of such places disappearing. Street food culture is so unique, and you lose the entire spirit of a place, when redevelopments and such things take place. A bit off topic, but similar to these places, I am greatly fond of Tsukiji Market in Tokyo, including its wonderful ‘inner market’ restaurants. I have been going all my life. The fact that in the blink of an eye, they can erase places that have been serving food to people for decades… It makes me feel nothing is safe or holy anymore. I have not met one single restaurant owner or fish monger who was in favor of the move to Toyosu. Can’t help but suspect some political agenda is involved, like building hotels. Probably the same towards other old neighborhoods of Asia. I do hope they protect the hutong district of Beijing.

So a post like this, started by yourself, I feel is more important than many other topics we could discuss. Because we need to protect these wonderful places, and carry on the traditions and flavors, or see that they be lost forever.

3 Likes

Went this weekend. Pork chop lived up to the hype, frying, saucing, and breading were all on point, the bolo bun I could take or leave. Personally I think it would go great on a Kings style hawaiian roll.

Char sui noodle bowl also on point the char sui was moist and tender. Wish it had a little more sauce. Loved the canto style egg noodles bang banged with Phoenix bakery.

9 Likes

+1

1 Like

And Sifu is coming back!

8 Likes

If I do a PRD bang, I’m going to need advice on what to order.

2 Likes

Is there a more epic way to announce your return than with LOCH 1983?

3 Likes

I will have to see the menu…but I would start with his char siu and his take on pork chop bun. Also his shrimp and eggs blew my mind. Weekends he has a very traditonal HK cafe style breakfast.

I would recommend bang bang both PRD and Needle, call it the JeetKuneBao Bang Bang

3 Likes

What’s more Chinese than Condor Heroes!

1 Like

That sounds so much like PRD’s menu. It would be comparing the menus side-by-side.

1 Like

Since you missed out on the Hainanese chicken at PRD, I would definitely go for the white cut chicken at Needle. It survives takeout really well, since it’s meant to be served at room temp anyway.

4 Likes

Kong Thao has been bringing sprouted cauliflower to the farmer’s markets for about a month now. Should have some more this week as well.

Pork Chop Fried Rice

4 Likes

Looks like Needle’s take on the classic dry sauté green beans

7 Likes

That’s one of my favorite vegetable dishes.

3 Likes

And because we have been making the absolute most of our rare excursions out… When we went to go pick our Hainan Chicken on Sunday… we also got some stuff for later this week…

The Mushroom Chow Fun… Now I love Pad See Ew and this was certainly reminiscent of that. But the Mushrooms… I buy King Oyster Mushrooms all the time and have yet to find a way to make them so tender and yummy like that was in this dish… it’s my new mission!!

It reheated beautifully and tasted great with Trader Joes Chili Crisp…

!

DIY MaPo! Another one of my favorite things ever… I admit, I always have a packet of House Foods MaPo sauce in my pantry… It’s just below Japanese curry for me in terms of something I will never say no to. I’ve had several variations of this and I always perfer the traditional, ground pork… soft tofu… I was thrilled to get this sauce and a block of Meiji Tofu and as soon as I took a bite, I knew this wasn’t the uber savory House… the Mala was present but not overwhelming… We served with some Haiga rice, which the subtle nuttiness was just enough to interplay with the rich sauce and pork.

And now they announced Thai BBQ Chicken (Why is this so hard to find now… I grew up on the stuff!) for this weekend… is this weekend’s special… another good reason to pick up some more MaPo.

9 Likes

Have you had Isaan Station in Ktown? That is the best Gai Yang in the city

6 Likes

i can confirm. not only the best gai yang, one of the best chicken dishes period in the city.

https:/uploads/default/original/3X/0/3/0362101b3a6afa35673e0bb5dae96f1228348daf.jpg

https:/uploads/default/original/3X/4/3/437e6d925a678ff26aed780e1fbabbd09d45350b.jpg

10 Likes