Knock offs

A friend told me about Tom’s Tacos, if I had a car i’d go try it. a knock off of tito’s. Has anyone tried it? https://www.yelp.com/biz/toms-tacos-torrance-3

THis got me to thinking what other knock offs are there? and are they any good?

I’ve been a few times. It’s pretty comparable? The tacos are slightly different in terms of how they’re fried. It’s not too far from where I live so I like to go here in a pinch for when I’m craving crunchy tacos. Tito’s is a little better though.

1 Like

Howlin Rays at this moment probably has the most knocks off in LA/OC/Bay Area.

They all saw the lines and $$$. I can’t seem to find any of them acknowledging Howlin Rays.

Dave’s Hot Chicken is okay and will do in a pinch to scratch that itch.

3 Likes

Does Howlin’ Ray’s acknowledge Prince’s?

1 Like

No.

Spago.

this is not daybird

2 Likes

Tons of different knock offs of Alberto’s. Most of them all have the same menu if not VERY similar.

1 Like

Filibertos is pretty good! i think many are somewhat related back to a Robertos’s chain in a similar way to many SGV restaurant families with cousins and sons, uncles opening up similar business

Johnny takes his crew every year to Princes in Nashville. You can see it on social media. He always shows respect and praise to the OG.

5 Likes

Not quite apples to apples.

The knocks off I am talking about are basically copying Howlin Rays sandwich…the bread, slaw, and sauce. The bread, slaw, sauce is unique to Howlin Rays (was I guess). They don’t do that in Nashville. Howlin Rays is Chef Johnny’s take and not exactly 100 % authentic.

Some other knock off I seen are Cococane. Again they saw the lines and $$&, basically ripped off the drink with no shame just like Howlin Rays sandwich.

4 Likes

Yup! Johnny even did a collab with them at Prince’s a couple years ago

1 Like

Pepe’s Red Tacos. Have not had myself but if IG is any indication they’ve been pretty successful. They even sell ‘birria paste!’

2 Likes

The oldest knockoff’s are of Tommy’s.

There are/have been gazillions:

Tommies, Tom’s, Thoma’s, Big Tom’s, etc.

Then of course in the valley, there’s the knockoff of New York Chicken & Gyro called, ready for this; New York Style Chicken & Gyro.

5 Likes

I’m not talking about howlin’ ray’s, the sandwich I posted is a knockoff of daybird.

say the OG place and the knock off please. I don’t know the OG places for half the spots listed. Who is Spago a knock off of? or is it the knock off?

maybe I should change this to the best knock offs???

Except on the web site.

The Cafe at Chez Panisse.

1 Like

All the lobster restaurant copies of Newport Seafood.

1 Like

that seems like a jump to me, but IDK my knowledge of those two places isn’t really extensive (though I’ve been to both)

1 Like