Knock offs

interesting, great intel, thanks.

When Del Taco and Taco Bell put fried chicken in a tortilla the Knock-off Wars jumped the shark for me.

3 Likes

Ace Burgers in Alhambra knocks off the spicy chicken sandwich from McDonald’s in Shanghai and the spicy chicken wings from KFC. Chandavkl's Blog: Chinese Restaurant Mysteries Part III - Ace Burgers

5 Likes

Ummm……. This may be even worse:

Remember the cronut craze?

I feel like Pepe’s is more a knock off in name because so many places have been making birria “red tacos.” Teddy’s was probably the first to call them that, but Pepe’s is much better!

https://www.foodtalkcentral.com/t/october-2020-rundown/12113/143?u=glazedonut

2 Likes

A Teddy’s just opened in our ‘hood (Miracle Mile). We were pretty excited. The first go round was really good but the second time we detected a fishy-ness like the meat was starting to spoil. Blech. Team Pepe’s!

1 Like

Fwiw I felt some of the copycats were way better than the OG, in particular the version at Mr Holmes Bakehouse

Glad to hear Pepe’s is good! The OG Teddy’s was awesome but they’ve expanded so much and I think overall quality has declined. Funny how that happens.

Branding them specifically Red Tacos is a pretty brazen knockoff - no one else does that - but if we’re talking about the menu and the process then I guess they’re all knock offs of whichever stand in Tijuana did it first…

2 Likes

DK’s still has em :slight_smile:

1 Like

True about the name - I think I’ve seen a few other “[fill in the blank] Red Tacos” trucks around town too. It’s definitely a clever name, gets those IG foodies out.

2 Likes

Had no idea, but too bad it’s no bueno!

1 Like

Yah, it could be a one-time thing. It was in the morning about an hour after opening and the employees could’ve re-warmed yesterday’s meat. I messaged the company to alert them but so far no response.

Like @Srsly said, expanding too fast can hurt. You can’t be everywhere and have to rely on employees for quality control. If they’re careless, well…

3 Likes

La Michoacana is becoming the new Albertos with knock off imposters.

2 Likes

I’m done!!! Rubio’s is a regional order-at-the-counter chain based on fairly ‘authentic’ Mexican staples. One more to get into the crispy chicken wars. I guess it just emphasizes how tough the last 18 months have been.

4 Likes

Haha! I was thinking more along the lines of Richard Blais is getting into the fast-food, knock-off meets uber-fusion business. :thinking: Tough 18 months, indeed.

2 Likes

“Street tacos” is an instant red flag IMO. Not to mention knocking off Taco Bell…

1 Like

How about ‘Adventure-inspired street tacos’?

2 Likes

Ah, Taco Bell, an OG knock-off of Mitla Cafe in San Bernardino.

3 Likes

So funny you should mention that! Saw “Donut King” a few wks ago (thanks, @ElsieDee and @WesSabi!) and then finally tried DK last Fri. The o-nut is pretty good, and the place is curiously an evening hot spot!

3 Likes