Korean Fried Chicken

BBQ chicken >>>> chicken day. But chicken day has tasty kimbap.

1 Like

bhc chicken, the chain with the second most locations in south korea, just opened at the farmer’s market in the recently closed yang’s braised chicken rice spot.

their bburinkle seasoning is quite interesting, a mix of garlic, onion, and something else i can’t put my finger on. the chicken pieces were smaller than what you’d normally expect, but will definitely return to try the other sauce options in the future.

also fwiw, the restaurant was packed with only koreans at 8:00 at night.

6 Likes

bbq chicken bb wings are a winner. Crispy wings with a touch of heat. So good.

Pelicana chicken also very good but not as many locations in SoCal.

4 Likes

Which location have you gone? Most have decent reviews except the one in K-Town… which now makes me skeptical…

2 Likes

Newhall (a surprising location for sure)

3 Likes

Thanks for all the updates. BBQ was on my radar but heard bad things about the KTown location as well. Bonus points for actual KTown spots, and double bonus points if it’s a place that serves beer.

1 Like

I perused the first few pages of Yelp reviews for the ktown location and they are mostly customer service or delivery related. That honey garlic tho.

2 Likes

HA! The manager that came from Korea found a nice deal on a house in the SCV… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, the ones on Google aren’t that great and all warn about atrocious customer service, which to me honestly matters a lot. I think for now, I’ll plan on hitting the Gardena one!

1 Like

Bonchon

Pelicana

1 Like

Chimmelier?

Anyone been?

OB chicken at Star Night is almost as good as OB but not quite. A bit bland was it? For whole fried, unless it’s changed much in the last decade, Prince is probably still king. Witch’s Chicken is pretty decent, especially relative to a lot of the other KFC spots in K-town.

3 Likes

Mom’s Touch is also really good.

Some a few about The Prince’s chicken here:

+1 for BBQ chicken. My favorite was the westwood location. I now go to the one in little tokyo. Have not tried any others.

BB wings :blush:

1 Like

Tried the Pasadena bb.q chicken this evening. Honey garlic were great, galbi had a very off putting chemical/liquid smoke flavor.

Overall I thought they were solid but honestly I would put them in the same category but a step below Panda Express Orange Chicken. Does that belong in the hot take thread? Felt like sugary, goopy fast food chicken to me.

1 Like

TL;DR: bb.q chicken experience may vary vastly from location to location.

don’t know if their practices have changed but bb.q franchises have extremely loose QC so your experience may vary from location to location (and there are some GREAT locations and some very un-great ones).

kind of a sad / long story but basically the major korean fried chicken players in Korea realized that the best way to grow the business wasn’t through actual QC/replicating the taste or being original in a competitive marketplace, but by proliferating the brand and selling franchise licenses to middle class Koreans. the barrier to entry for opening a fried chicken shop is essentially non-existent. the reason why it’s sad is that these conglomerates prey on some of the older Korean folks who are exiting the workforce (ie. got a golden handshake at their salary job in middle age) and basically entice them into opening a franchise and position it as a smart investment, only for so many of these businesses to fail and for another one to take their place while the parent company pockets franchise fees. I was able to sign up to be a bb.q chicken franchisee by literally filling out a webform.

there are more fried chicken restaurants in South Korea than there are locations of McDonald’s on planet earth… and it’s comparable to the number of KFC restaurants worldwide (China included). we love our fried chicken in Korea!

back to bb.q chicken and basically making sense of this: there was one in Koreatown that was just f—in’ awful, and then one in Fullerton (on beach and… malvern? I want to say?) that was absolutely incredible. I think both locations have now closed, and it seems another 10 will take their place :frowning:

P.S. bb.q chicken in sawtelle: straight fire
P.P.S. recommendations for korean fried chicken: 77 kentucky in koreatown, bonchon for big-ass drumstick people (i am a big-ass drumstick person, also the QC is on point it does taste similar location to location), and any mom-and-pop place inside any korean supermarket because i just love those people and admire their hard work. i will never put them down

14 Likes
  • Tenkatori as a bang-bang… Hmmm…
2 Likes

Still here, still open and still our go to KFC in all of the OC. Same owners from pre pandemic from what I can gather. We get a 30 piece BB wings and bring them over across the street to eat with Paiks noodles. BYOK. Bring your own kimchi.

2 Likes

Gol Tong in Koreatown. Masterful stuff.

8 Likes