La Dolce Vita

what’s the move here?

Caesar prepared tableside?

Veal Parm (i didn’t eat it, but my friend said it’s one of the best he’s had).

Shrimp Fra Diavolo - MVP on the menu - really succulent shrimp in a spicy sauce. I was kinda shocked how much I enjoyed it. Would order it again and again. Wish it was over pasta!

I didn’t love the Caesar - it was kinda basic caesar and didn’t stand out but gotta do it.

Bucatini al Limoni is good.

Pachheri is really well done, very al dente. Add caviar makes it even better (caveat - astrea kaluga) . Max said it was salty when he ordered it, but it was creamy and light to me - needed the caviar to add even more flavor to it for me.

6 Likes

Their seafood salad was very very good. My friend had the steak and it was perfectly cooked. I shared Veal Parm with my husband since it was huge. A LOT OF CHEESE. It fell like an American dish rather then an Italian dish.

3 Likes

I think that is because it is an American dish.

3 Likes

highlights

• zucchini and roasted peppers
  • tuna tartare
  • shrimp fra diavolo
  • paccheri
  • spaghetti & meatballs
  • veal parm

pass

• bucatini al limoni
  • dessert - go down the street and bang with funke instead

@CiaoBob @LouisianaMouth @rlw power rankings forthcoming?

zucchini and roasted peppers, basil pesto, pine nuts, aged balsamic

big eye tuna tartare, capers, meyer lemon, tonnato, pannelle

caesar, parmigiano reggiano, sicilian anchovy, torn croutons

shrimp fra diavolo, blue prawns, tomato passata, calabrian chili

clams oreganata, littleneck clams, break crumbs, pecorino, sicilian oregano, lemon

bucatini al limoni, cultured butter, preserved lemon, parmigiano reggiano

paccheri, prosciutto cotto, taleggio, pecorino
add caviar bae @Clayfu caviar
where’s my :bubble_tea:?

tagliatelle vongole, shucked manilla clams, white wine, toasted garlic

spaghetti & meatballs, pork and beef, tomato sauce, red wine, fresh basil

veal parmigiana - bone-in 12 oz veal chop, marinara, mozzarella, fresh basil

budino, spumoni, lemon ice

12 Likes

also “free” bread for the bread-entitled @Rodeogig / @BringYourBrunch

6 Likes

getting seconds of this bread took awhile

what about bread?

it’s free

4 Likes

and why would I care?

But only the baguette gets brought back for free :poop:

3 Likes

I think food talkers had the best of La Dolce Vita in the early months of reopening when they were putting their all into the food. This night might be my vote for worse meal of the year.

My husband loves old-school red sauce restaurants. I thought the revamped La Dolce Vita would be great for his birthday. I made a reservation about 3 weeks in advance. They texted a confirmation and asked if we had a special request. I specified that it was a birthday and requested a nice table. When we arrived the hostess greeted us enthusiastically with a happy birthday then proceeded to give us a choice of the two worst tables in the house - small two tops wedged between two nice corner booths comfortably seated with couples… that weren’t us.

We received a complimentary aperitif called Carpano Bianco which was sweet, citrusy, quite nice.

The Vodka Martini & Family Bond Cocktail (Woodford Reserve Rye, Gentleman Jack, Cocchi Torino, Demerara, Bitters) were pretty good, but very boozy.

The complimentary bread service was fine. It was accompanied by butter, olive oil & spicy olive tapenade. I liked the roll that came w/a schmear of what I think was sundried tomato spread on top.

For appetizers we ordered Shrimp Fra Diavolo and also wanted Clams Oreganata or Bigeye Tuna Tartare but neither are on the Sunday menu.

Server requested we order everything at once with the promise of staggered courses then brought the shrimp appetizer and tried to serve the caesar salad at the same time. We had to point out that we couldn’t eat both at the same time even if we wanted (which we didn’t) because the table was so small. The server sheepishly agreed.

Shrimp Fra Diavolo - Blue Prawns, Tomato Passata, Calabrian Chili

Dark photo - you’re not missing much. The sauce was thin, salty, not particularly kicky, tomato was muted and the prawns were meh.

Caesar Salad

Table side caesar salad was not exactly table side as there was barely room to fit a person between tables without moving them let alone a cart. Salad was underdressed w/oil & vinegar (mostly vinegar), a lot of garlic, sprinkling of parmigiano reggiano, a few small croutons and barely discernible anchovies. Shockingly mediocre. Hubs asked for extra dressing and they charged us for it.

Spaghetti & Meatballs

Solidly in Olive Garden territory. Bland spaghetti, unevenly cooked flavorless meatballs and again with the thin, flavorless sauce.

We didn’t eat much of anything. Honestly, the chicken cacciatore I made on hub’s actual birthday with Bulgarini tomato garlic sauce was 10 times better and at a much better price.

We tipped the young servers well because they were sweet but they did not have the experience for what this restaurant is trying to be. The diners around us were complaining amongst themselves and correcting staff on the basics of service. Not good. The reason we heard all this is because the tables were wedged so close that we were all pretty much eating together. We’re old friends now. The couple on one side had been dining at LDV for 50 years but won’t come again and the high schooler on the other side will be starting college pre-med. My husband told him organic chemistry is key. :smile:

The restaurant is quite dark, beautiful looking, very lively and bumping great music. It’s a boozy Beverly Hills hotspot to see-and-be-seen with completely subpar culinary offerings. They’re selling a vibe & alcohol is what they’re doing. I’m not mad at them - it looks to be working for them… just not for us.

The cherry on the icing of the cake was we thought a walk down to Funke for dessert was a cute idea @PorkyBelly. Walk off the bad meal and erase the memory with tasty desserts. Funke is closed on Sunday!

We still had a nice time with each other and focused on the drinks and music, but it definitely wasn’t what we’d call la dolce vida.

12 Likes

So sorry, @TheCookie

Happy birthday to your other half!

3 Likes

He says thanks @attran99!

1 Like