LA Restaurant Hot Takes

Cosa buona? Slightly cheaper

1 Like

Roti look legit, maybe slightly underdone.

Funny. They look over done to me. Have you tried the Frozen Paratha from Trader Joes? With a hot skillet and a bit of Ghee you can get something similar but much better tasting IMHO.

I totally agree thoughā€¦ The Kid is adorable. And while Curry Canai maybe a fine dinner for a young kid (Dippers!), itā€™s not for me.

Planning a visit soonā€¦ but this place looks promisingā€¦

4 Likes

i love Cosa Buona, i just wish they had some pasta dishes.

1 Like

Santa Monica. I can definitely see quality depending on barista, though I also like their beans for when I make my own; probably my second fave for espresso behind the milano blend from The Coffee Roaster in Sherman Oaks.

1 Like

Yeah they must not have the burner space in their small kitchen. Maybe if they build another they can add that addition to their menus.

Iā€™m talking about spaghetti and meatballs, veal parm, baked shell etc. Not another woodburning oven

1 Like

This trend has made for some seriously lazy cooking. Roast everything, then garnish. Itā€™s the restaurant version of sheet pan cooking.

3 Likes

We really really need this. I absolutely love Jon & Vinnyā€™s, but itā€™s a pain in the ass to get a table there and itā€™s expensive when you do. Itā€™s relegated to a special occasion spot when itā€™s the type of place that should be heavily in the rotation.

1 Like

People talk about Dan Tanaā€™s a lot but itā€™s a pain in the ass for other reasons.

2 Likes

Well maybe you should check out their menu since they have everything you listed sans spaghettiā€¦

Iā€™ve been twice, itā€™s not the kind of place Iā€™m craving.

Just did. Weekday only, sandwich only. Too many restrictions. Hard to walk into. Small place with strict reservations etc etc. On the east coast we have reliability, access to these kind of basics. Maybe I can find a way to do it even with a career?

Fair enough, access is always difficult in the hipper parts of LA which definitely sucks. Iā€™ve actually found setting up resy alerts or checking day of helps quite a bit.

You always mentioned opening a pizza spot, maybe you do pizza/plus ital-amer classics!

1 Like

I canā€™t though. Iā€™m a 20 year finance professional who just got to the next level last year so i donā€™t have the energy or time. All I have is wants and ideas. So maybe i create, design and open a small place that I canā€™t run myself? Those tend to fail unless you have a trusted GM

4 Likes

Totally get it Iā€™ve had food based ideas too but giving up my lucrative and relaxing day job to start a passion project just isnā€™t in the cards for me either.

Maybe a retirement project to consider one day though!

4 Likes

Is there a statistic for CH/FTC owned & operated food businessesā€¦and I mean long-time contributors who just decide to do it?
Also, wouldnā€™t it be cool to have an FTC meet-up at place opened and run by one amongst our ranks? Iā€™ve seen some crazy awesome skills on this board.

1 Like

That would be amazing! I feel like the closest might be @hppzz since they do pop ups a lot.

3 Likes

Michelinā€™s list of starred restaurants is the only reasonable list of best restaurants in LA that Iā€™ve seen. (Michelinā€™s bib gourmand awards, on the other hand, are hit and miss and sometimes downright silly ā€“ e.g., Thai Thing.)

1 Like

Michelinā€™s starred restaurants are a preposterously narrow-minded selection.

The FTC top 25 is not.

ten votes
Majordomo

nine votes
Hayato
Holbox

eight votes
Angler
Shunji Japanese Cuisine

seven votes
Langerā€™s Deli
Porridge + Puffs

six votes
Howlinā€™ Rayā€™s

five votes
Guerrilla Tacos
Iki Ramen
Somni

four votes
106 Seafood Underground
Bavel
Bestia
Gjusta
Mori Sushi
Ngu Binh
Republique

three votes
Bulgarini Gelato
Chengdu Taste
LASA
Newport Seafood
PĆ¢tisserie Chantilly
Providence
Sapp Coffee Shop

1 Like

Hi @Nemroz,

Noooā€¦! Iā€™m still drooling over that amazing open hearth lamb dish you posted about a couple years ago (from your village back in the day)? We need you to cook some of those amazing specialties! :slight_smile:

3 Likes