LA Restaurant Hot Takes

i’m so sad i didn’t have the time to get my votes in and look forward to next year :slight_smile:

really curious what you’re referring to… though we cook a lot of lamb… i’m not from a village… was it a rice dish maybe? uzbek plov?

1 Like

Hi @Nemroz,

Oh yes, was it the Uzbek Plov? It was a giant cauldron / pot with some delicious looking Lamb you posted about. :slight_smile: Can you add that as a Daily Special? :wink:

2 Likes

Here is legit uzbek plof being cooked on a wood burning stove at a dacha by legit russian (but lived in Uzbekistan) aunt

I’ve had it a lot in America but nothing has ever come close to this specific version. Probably not California Air Resources Board friendly :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve never seen it done properly here and the thing is it’s not that hard! Also it’s a guaranteed success of a street vending operation. I need to do a sunday plov popup lol. can’t get central asian sheep here though

5 Likes

Whats the difference? Fattier

My Russian friend complains about the lamb too, but he says paella rice is a good substitute for the central Asian kind. He has me come over early in the day and we spend the whole day around the fire stirring it with the occasional shot of vodka. It a great way to spend an afternoon.

2 Likes

Yes please @Nemroz! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not from there though I’m Armenian. We lived there for 4 years but I was just a kid, all I have are taste and smell memories but don’t know how to cook it. That said, I could learn after 3 efforts

2 Likes

You see dat ass?

That’s a huge fat deposit. I’m sure the meat tastes different as well and I think they slaughter later on so it’s stronger

1 Like

Damn, is her name Kim?

10 Likes

I’m currently restaurant-less but working on something.

In the meantime if you are serious about doing an FTC potluck I do have a space we can use but it would cost us money to rent it out.

5 Likes

That would be epic! I’m actually hoping that I can get to your next pop-up…I was so sad to have missed the Late Night in Chinatown and Gatsu Gatsu.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a fascinating looking creature. I wonder if shepherds selected for the deposit when fats and oils were a scarcer commodity as in the breeding of pigs elsewhere.

I recall food historian Ken Albala writing about cooking sheep tails a while back. It definitely was something like a conventional American sheep rather than the magnificent specimen in the picture but he wrote about the different qualities of the fat as a result of what cut it came from. Like the difference between leaf lard and backfat the tail fat had a higher or lower melting point than internal deposits that greatly affected the final texture of a dish. Wish I could find that article…

1 Like

Pretty sure someone :grin: could volunteer their home or yard for an FTC potluck, right @attran99?

@hungryhungryhippos thanks for thinking of me but I’m definitely not cut out for the restaurant game/lifestyle. Doing an occasional pop up is one thing but it’s entirely different ballgame when pples livelihoods are on the line. @JLee is def only active FTCer in restaurants but I’m sure there are others maybe lurkers.

5 Likes

Bavel is a far more interesting and better restaurant than Bestia, which isn’t very special.

May have something to do with your cuisine preferences and exotizing of middle eastern? Ive loved both

Probably not a hot take for FTC, but I really don’t understand why so many people like Night + Market.
I have been to the location on Sunset a handful of times and don’t understand the hype.

1 Like

I like that Night + Market offers vegetarian or vegan versions of dishes that I can’t eat in the more “traditional” Thai restaurants, that are still flavorful and taste good, to me at least. There are some Thai dishes that I will probably never be able to eat because it isn’t worth it to the restaurateurs to spend time/money developing a veg version.

4 Likes

Oh, OK. That makes sense!

1 Like