Las Vegas recommendations

@attran99 When in Vegas, you gotta go for the view and atmosphere even for bangs. Here’s what I recommend:

Bang #1: Skybar at Waldorf Astoria for drinks and view on the 23rd floor (Close up and intimate view of the strip view)
Bang #2: Skyfall Lounge at Delano for another round of drinks on the 64th floor (A less intimate but still magnificent view of the strip from higher up)
Bang #3: Dine in the patio at Rivea next to Skyfall Lounge. Can’t beat the combination of French/Italian tapas plus a great view on the 64th floor.
Bang #4: Perhaps have some dessert in the patio of Spago at Bellagio for an up close view of the fountain?

3 Likes

@moonboy403 That is brilliant and so well-thought out! I think I may take you up on that plan. You are completely right about the views…it’s something I take for granted except for when I enter our room for the first time with the curtain and sheers rolled all the way back.
Though in full disclosure, I may sub out Rivea for Vetri. @PorkyBelly photos are enticing and I feel like I need that Sicilian pistachio dessert in my life. What was the dress code like? If it’s super hot when we go, it may be hard to convince the husband to not be in casual summer wear…but if we’re going to hop around, he’ll live Lyfting up and down the Strip.

2 Likes

It’s really difficult to get that glitzy view in LA especially with places that are in such close proximity. I like my scenery a little different when I travel.

1 Like

There’s no strict dress code, but most people were either smart casual or business casual.

1 Like

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but in 1 plaza you could do
Kabuto - they have smaller omakaze or a la carte options but don’t think you can order individual pieces
Raku
Raku Sweets
Then cab it over to somewhere else for a few more bangs.

1 Like

The individual Raku reservation has already been made :grin:. We’re going to pre-game at Sparrow + Wolf since they have a full bar and Raku is limited to sake and wine. My sake game (and that of my companions) is not strong, so I usually take the server’s suggestion there.
The last time we did Sweets, it was good and cool, but I don’t know if I necessarily want to go back. My cousins are easily amused and would probably like to go back. Game for any Chinatown dessert ideas if y’all have any.
God help me if my husband tries to pull another deep dish pizza excursion like he did last time.

2 Likes

I have none but don’t waste your time at Milkbar. Maybe there are some nicer high end restaurants where you can do a dessert tasting. I remember Providence used to have something like this.

1 Like

Patio Dessert on Decatur and EATT has some excellent composed desserts.

1 Like

By the way if you are taking Lyft or Uber make sure the address is correct. The last time we went Raku the address was correct but Google Maps is sending you way past Decauter. Raku Sweets goes to the same incorrect plaza with Greenland Market.

If you put in Kabuto you’ll get to where you want. I don’t know why this is happening but want others to avoid this issue if they aren’t paying attention and get distracted in the Lyft/Uber.

Raku is just past Decauter. On the map it should be pinned between the Hot N Juicy Crawfish and Sushi Takesai.

1 Like

I usually go to MilkBar to bring things home for my sister and the chowpups.
Thanks, @js76wisco, for the Lyft directional advice. Our friends live in town and they advised Lyft since the Raku parking lot is so tight. In the couple of times we’ve been there, our drivers have managed to get it right. Guess we need to pay attention, too…just in case.
Thanks, @moonboy403, for the recs! I look forward to checking them out.

1 Like

Just an fyi in case everyone doesn’t know it We’re going to LV in October for a concert (Jimmy Buffet!) so I was booking hotel (dang, it’s expensive there) and air. Did some reading here and looked at LoS and see they accept reservations like forever out. Saw a year from now. Glad to have that done.

We’ll have a lunch out on Saturday and was thinking about Jaleo. Any opinions on their food? I love the looks of the pick-your-own three course lunch. TIA.

AirBnb is your friend.

Crispy duck panang, garlic prawns, crispy mussel omelette, nam prik ong, and mango sticky rice (when available). :drooling_face:

Great deal at $25/person and you can share a paella of the day by adding $7. The mini iberico burger is a MUST.

Copying from my other post:

Beautiful open layout. We each opted for the 3 course “Lunch Like a Spaniard!” where we get to pick 3 tapas + supplements. It was just a-okay and very inconsistent. I much prefer tapas at Julian Serrano at the Aria. Perhaps I need to try Jaleo for dinner instead?

tichi’s gazpacho | chilled tomato soup with pipiranna, air-bread
A touch salty but addictively refreshing with its blend of tart and sweetness. Air-bread added some much needed texture contrast but I wish there were some brunoise cucumber, bell peppers, and tomatoes in there to add even more texture.

ensalada verde con anchoas | mixed greens with pine nuts, fried capers, anchovies, idiazabal cheese with romesco and garlic dressing
Good.

chicken and rabbit paella
A bit salty but protein was cooked reasonably well. Rice had decent texture but NO socarrat. When I asked the server, he said that the kitchen usually rests the paella over the fire to get the mythical socarrat but sometimes the paella is served before they get there. This is pure BS to me since that means the restaurant is willing to serve an unfinished product? :rage:

mini peito de iberico | mini burger with iberico patty and bacon
Can I tell that it’s iberico pig if they didn’t tell me? Nope. Do I care? Nope. It tastes fantastic!

Buñuelos de bacalao | Salt codfish deep-fried with honey aioli
Crispy shell with a fluffy center but a bit one dimensional in flavor.

butifarra asada | grilled catalan pork sausage, roasted pepper, charred eggplant, whole grain mustard sauce
Sausage was overcooked and dried out but all other elements on the dish were great.

carne asada con escabeche | grilled hanger steak with escabeche
Cooked decently as can be seen on the outer band of doneness. Beefy flavor is strong as can be expected from a hanger steak.

Flan al estilo tradicional de mamá Marisa con espuma de crema catalana | egg custard, “espuma” of orange cream, orange sorbet, orange surpreme, dried orange peel
Highlight of the night. Eggy, creamy, smooth custard. Paired well with several forms of orange goodness.

Jaleo
3708 Las Vegas Blvd S
Level 3
Las Vegas, NV 89109

1 Like

Funny you should mention EATT. Our friends just invited us to dinner at it’s sister restaurant, Partage during our stay. It’s primarily tasting menu, but does offer ALC. The set-up is fascinating with 5 courses at $80 (there’s also an 8 and 10 course option) with a $50 or $80 wine pairing. Vegas Chinatown is truly a hotbed for dining off-Strip.

1 Like

Let me know how it goes since I do plan to go there in Oct for their 9 course ($130)! Btw, Alain Ducasse just dined there and posted it on his Instagram.

2 Likes

Thank you SO much for all of this.

1 Like

I went when they first opened, i guess i forgot to post about it. I’ll see if I still have my pics.

1 Like

How did you enjoy your experience there, @PorkyBelly?

I’ve started spending so much more money on Lyft when visiting Vegas between all the trips to LoS, Raku and Chinatown. But still better and cheaper than dining on the strip.

1 Like

That’s why I’m reluctant to look for an airbnb-equivalent. I don’t know LV really at all and don’t want to wind up out in East D-F.

i thought it was pretty good with a lot of potential and a really good value compared to places on the strip. if you’re there in the fall or winter their duck pithivier looks insane

1 Like