Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

Get that Ugly Drum Pastrami and Wanderlust Ice Cream for me!

1 Like

Is ugly drum using lodge bread?

not sure, but i think they’re using Bub & Grandma’s bread.

You’re right!

Sure is a lot of bread.

1 Like

Chef Zone was just on KTLA saying that he’s been working on a place for West LA… he’s not quite ready to announce it yet.

He’s going to be back, on their 1:00pm broadcast today.

2 Likes

I hope it’s near LAX but that feels like a pipe dream as that’s not West LA. Do you think the quality in Pasadena and West LA will be as good as the original if Zone isn’t monitoring the cooking? I feel like fried chicken is much easier to maintain quality than a full restaurant with dozens of dishes.

Hi @js76wisco,

Chef Zone mentioned to us that the primary reason he hasn’t expanded and is taking his time, is to ensure he has properly trained staff to support more than 1 restaurant. I’ve been to Howlin’ a couple times when he wasn’t there (he was at city planning meetings for his Chinatown expansion that happened last year), and the quality was just as good as when he’s there. So that’s encouraging.

Usually greed / over-expansion is the name of the game with no care in quality for the restaurant industry (e.g., Loteria, some Ramen restaurants that got “famous” and quickly expanded only to fold, etc.). So kudos to Chef Zone for taking his time. Fingers crossed.

5 Likes

He could have easily went for a cash grab and opened up multiple (dozens) of locations from the valley to the OC. They would all be packed. I am excited about the new locations. Hopefully that means <1 hour waits on the weekends.

1 Like

Update XX:

Part of the latest Fried Chicken Journey. Adding the thoughts and pics here for Howlin’ Ray’s for reference.

Howlin’ Ray’s (Revisit)

And finishing up this journey, we had to see how these places compared with our favorite, Howlin’ Ray’s.

Walking in, Chef Johnny Ray Zone and his well-trained and super friendly staff greet us (and anyone else who wants to take a photo of them):

They ham it up for the cameras, but continue to run a finely-tuned kitchen that would not be out of place at a fine-dining establishment (all due to Chef Zone’s culinary background).

Market Side - Collard Greens:

As impressive as ever. This time Chef Zone “doctors up” the Collard Greens with the way he was taught to eat them from some old school locals back East. Long-stewed, tender, earthy, outstanding! :blush:

(X-Style) Fried Chicken Wing:

Chef Zone greeted us and a few customers and talked about how one of their newer staff members created this new variant of the Fried Chicken Wing (I forgot the new employee’s name), so they christened this dish in their honor. :slight_smile:

Howlin’ Ray’s batter survived the coating by this melted American Cheese and it was what you expect: Great Fried Chicken with a Melted Cheese coating. :smile:

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), Level 1 “Country” Style (No Heat):

Taking a bite… perfectly crispy-crunchy batter, not oily or overly greasy like too many places we’ve tried around L.A. The Free-Range, All-Natural Chicken meat is juicy, bright, tender, nicely savory, but never too salty.

Outstanding Fried Chicken! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Fried Chicken White (Breast & Wing), Level 3 “Medium” Style (“Feel the Burn”):

The Level 3 Medium Heat level is perfect for my tastes, there’s a real nice kick of spiciness, but nothing that overwhelms the palate (like Level 4 and above does for me). There’s some Paprika, some amazing spice blend mixture that Chef Zone has perfected over the years, it’s nuanced, complex and keeps your taste buds dancing as you bite into the crispy-crunchy crust and the moist, tender Chicken Breast meat within. It holds up well to the Level 3 Medium spice level. So good! :heart:

(Complimentary) Pickles:

The free Pickles are snappy, piquant and offer that perfect way to balance out the Fried Chicken fest you’re having.

(Off Menu) Juicy-Style Fries:

Howlin’ Ray’s French Fries are mixed with their Housemade Comeback Sauce, Crystal Hot Sauce, Housemade Slaw and a dash of Vinegar to create this truly “juicy” set of French Fries. :slight_smile: The result is a crazy “Wet Fries” experience, but it’s spicy, creamy, vinegary and crunchy at the same time.

The Sando (Boneless Breast, Slaw, Comeback Sauce, Pickles, Butter Bun) - Level 2 “Mild" Style (“Brush of Heat”):

It’s easy to take this for granted, until you’ve had a variety of Fried Chicken Sandwiches around L.A. and then come back to Howlin’ Ray’s to compare. Chef Zone’s Fried Chicken Sandwich is still as stupid-good as before!

An organic-shaped, All-Natural Fried Chicken Breast (Boneless), not the usual pre-formed or Chicken Tenders manufactured shaped Chicken found at the center of most of these Sandwiches around L.A. The exterior batter is awesome, like the Fried Chicken, crispy-crunchy, moist, juicy white meat Chicken within. The Level 2 Mild Heat is a playful, light heat, giving more nuance and additional layers on the tongue than actual burning heat, so it’s a good relaxing way to enjoy greatness. :slight_smile:

The Comeback Sauce, Slaw, Pickles and that soft Butter Bun combine to make the best Fried Chicken Sandwich in L.A.! :heart:

Chef Zone and his crew are still consistently awesome at Howlin’ Ray’s, cooking up the best Fried Chicken in our region, week-in and week-out, even after being open for a couple of years. That’s encouraging for Howlin’ Ray’s eventual 2nd Shop in Pasadena and future expansions, and in the meantime, know that a visit back to Howlin’ Ray’s is Fried Chicken greatness.

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken
727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 935-8399

8 Likes

I am gluten intolerant, but I do indulge about once a week. Chowseeker1999, your post is very tempting, since I love collard greens more than fried chicken.

Are the CG’s now a standard side or day-by-day?

1 Like

Hi @DogbiteWilliams,

Yes the Collard Greens at Howlin’ Ray’s are now a permanent, daily Market Side you can get every day they are open (Tues - Sun). :slight_smile: Enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll have to add this to my bucket list.

There is a space because I finally had a Duvel and I was blown away. It is a world-class beer.

Howlin Fast Pass available now! Catch it before they’re gone

5 Likes

Hell yeah! Just got two. Thanks.

Haven’t even used my last one yet but bought one anyway.

Oy, the vault. :man_facepalming:

Sadly, appear to be sold out,

Guess I’ll have to live with just the one I have.

Aah! I missed out on this darn. It’s strange they had a short sale on this, maybe in honor of 4th of July weekend? Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Seems to always sell out in an hour or two. I got one this time though – thanks, @Hungrydrunk !

1 Like

@Ns1 I’ll buy one from you if you want to get rid of one.