Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

Batters box to go no matter what else you take home. :joy: Believe it or not, it is a great deal.

1 Like

No lines

3 Likes

How would you handle this?

We went to HR yesterday - 1.5hr line + additional time for inside seating. Great energy. This turns out to be a good deal, because they bring you little goodies. We ordered big, so they offered to keep part of our order bagged for to go. When we got home and looked thru our bags we realized they hadnā€™t given us back the to go order. It wasnā€™t a lot (1/4 bird) and they did give us a bunch of chicken tenders (delicious!). I donā€™t want to get anyone in trouble, but we did wait for a long time to get exactly what we wanted. Iā€™m thinking to let it go. Would you message them or let it go?

Message them. Be as gracious as you are here. Theyā€™ll take care of you because they are that awesome.

5 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Yes, definitely message them. Let them know what happened and I know you word things nicely.

How was the rest of the food? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very good. Report to come.

1 Like

Thanks All! I messaged them. We have to be in the area again this week, so no harm in trying.

2 Likes

Does anybody know approximately how long the line is at 10am on a Sunday right at opening?

Iā€™ve done that before one hour ahead but on a weekday. It was only an hour.

Weekends are the worstā€¦

3-3.5 hours!!! People lineup in the early morning.

2 Likes

@JeetKuneBao has it right. The Twitter feed is the best source to find average wait times at random points of different days. I think Iā€™ve heard that off hours weekdays have the lowest wait times after 2PM.

1 Like

wow vee. I guess Iā€™m not going this Sunday before 2 bit circus. Smorgasborg it is

1 Like

Get that Ugly Drum Pastrami and Wanderlust Ice Cream for me!

1 Like

Is ugly drum using lodge bread?

not sure, but i think theyā€™re using Bub & Grandmaā€™s bread.

Youā€™re right!

Sure is a lot of bread.

1 Like

Chef Zone was just on KTLA saying that heā€™s been working on a place for West LAā€¦ heā€™s not quite ready to announce it yet.

Heā€™s going to be back, on their 1:00pm broadcast today.

2 Likes

I hope itā€™s near LAX but that feels like a pipe dream as thatā€™s not West LA. Do you think the quality in Pasadena and West LA will be as good as the original if Zone isnā€™t monitoring the cooking? I feel like fried chicken is much easier to maintain quality than a full restaurant with dozens of dishes.

Hi @js76wisco,

Chef Zone mentioned to us that the primary reason he hasnā€™t expanded and is taking his time, is to ensure he has properly trained staff to support more than 1 restaurant. Iā€™ve been to Howlinā€™ a couple times when he wasnā€™t there (he was at city planning meetings for his Chinatown expansion that happened last year), and the quality was just as good as when heā€™s there. So thatā€™s encouraging.

Usually greed / over-expansion is the name of the game with no care in quality for the restaurant industry (e.g., Loteria, some Ramen restaurants that got ā€œfamousā€ and quickly expanded only to fold, etc.). So kudos to Chef Zone for taking his time. Fingers crossed.

5 Likes

He could have easily went for a cash grab and opened up multiple (dozens) of locations from the valley to the OC. They would all be packed. I am excited about the new locations. Hopefully that means <1 hour waits on the weekends.

1 Like