Lo bak go - daikon cake aka "turnip cake"

Anybody have a good old-school recipe with dried shrimp and sausage? The Mister Jiu’s recipe looks great as far as technique but it’s vegetarian. Hell, it’s vegan.

I have had good results with this woman’s recipes.

1 Like

That’s just what I’m looking for, thanks. Photos look right.

1 Like

Respect for trying to make it at home. I just say Uncle and go to Chinatown to buy it. At Long’s Pastry on Spring, it’s $1.25 for a giant hunk of slightly pan-fried lo bak go (I take it home to finish the searing just a tad more on my stovetop to warm it up), and it always, always tastes spot on.

(Couldn’t resist the pan-fried leek dumplings while I was there - bonus score)…

8 Likes

This is my go to spot for takeout dim sum. Like everything there with the exception of the Ha Gow. The lo bak go is a family fave. We also like their chicken baos and ham sui gok, the fried beef dumplings a lot.

2 Likes

It’s all about the Dai Bao’s! An egg, a shiitake mushroom, a piece of sausage, ground pork. Not every Chinese bakery has them.

Long’s also has snow mountain char siu bao’s. Those almost always sell out if you go too late.

Funny you say that, 'cuz I was the one who bought out their remaining snow mountains that day…

1 Like

Love the Dai Baos at Long’s. I think Won Kok’s is just a little bit better. Working in Chinatown, Long’s is my hangover stop on my way into work. Dai baos and porridge do wonders.
I will submit that Dai Bao’s at Won Kok are superior to the NY Dollar Slice, as post bar sustenance, when it was still open until 4am.

1 Like

I can’t vouch for this particular recipe but we’ve been really, really into the Made with Lau channel on YouTube:

I’m not interested in all recipes equally but the way it’s put together is really fantastic. Unpretentious, stuffed with knowledge, backed up with viewer questions, well segmented on YouTube. Just excellent job all around.

2 Likes

How about this recipe?

That video was supremely helpful, thanks. The recipes I looked at showed a 13" x 9" pan but what steamer could hold that?

1 Like

Glad it was helpful! As someone that takes cooking pretty seriously and does media stuff for work I’m really, really impressed at how they put together the videos.

Yeah, that’s… pretty big. I would guess that fits in my mom’s ginormous multi-level steamer but you can’t really expect every household to have one (we certainly don’t).

Full disclosure, I’ve never successfully made lo bak go. The one time I tried early on while dating my now-wife it was such a failure I’ve never even bothered again. However, I noticed that the lo bak go you see commonly at Ranch 99 frequently uses disposable loaf pans ~9"x6". Even our loaf pans are a little too tall for our wok steaming setup which may be why my grandmother-in-law used pie tins. I have to imagine that would cook a little faster and may be easier for someone trying to make it for the first time. Maybe it’s time we take another crack at it!

2 Likes