Lucas Kwan Peterson on 99 Ranch

sniff

4 Likes

Curious to take a poll…

• “99 Ranch”
  • “Ranch 99”

0 voters

Growing up in the bay area my friends and I called it “Ranch 99” but after moving to LA years ago, I realized all my friends from So Cal call it “99 Ranch”. He gets into the name in the piece, I just love petty fights that spring up over regional names/pronunciations.

4 Likes

Taking a poll on a matter of fact seems silly.

http://ranch99.com/

2 Likes

99 Ranch for me.

1 Like

But if their site is 99 ranch and their name has 99 ranch, I don’t understand why the confusion over calling it Ranch 99.

Besides aren’t most ranches called by the name first then followed by ranch?

In the article he theorizes that some people know it as “Ranch 99” because the signs on some of the stores has the 99 positioned between Ranch and Market, so it looks like “Ranch 99 Market”

Picture from Google

6 Likes

Cantonese zongzi from the deli section

Oh yeah, those are still bomb even if they’re smaller and fewer to a bag than they used to be…

Weird. I’ve always read it top to bottom as the 99 is slightly above to me. So 99 Ranch Market.

1 Like

Ok, so us FTC kids in SoCal call it 99 Ranch, but I’d be interested if there’s the same split among the previous generation? My parents certainly call it Ranch 99, but they visit from out of state, and have friends from all parts of CA.

Now that I think of it, I think they call it “Da Hua” even more (do locals still do this?). It depends on what language they’re using at the time. Maybe that’s where the flexibility really comes from. We’re used to the possibility of total disconnects between a business’s Chinese and English names. The English part of a sign (if it even exists) can be basically irrelevant at times.

2 Likes

I always called it Ranch 99 & had to train myself call it properly lol

2 Likes

Quite a lovely piece. LKP is really the best we have LAT.

2 Likes

That was lovely…and how I remember going to the grocery store with my own maternal grandmother.

2 Likes

I think I thought it was Ranch 99 until the first time I shopped there and looked at the receipt.

2 Likes

Mom calls it 99 when talking to me.

She calls it by the Chinese name but says 99 when she sees my perplexed face.

3 Likes

It’ll always be Ranch 99 to me. BTW, there appears to be no progress in the Ranch 99 in Westwood. The windows are still covered up and the place looks dingy as hell.

2 Likes
3 Likes

ARGH! No mention in Westwood… although Eastvale is a great location…

2 Likes