Lunch - Pomona/Walnut/Diamond Bar

I will be frequenting the area more often for lunch nowadays. Things that are on my list:

I haven’t spent that much time in this particular area, so it’s all new and adventure for me.

At this point in time, Claremont, San Dimas, and Montclair might be too far as I only have an hour or so.

Open to all cuisines and price points.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Aroma Craft Coffee.

1 Like

donahoos fried chicken. get a dinner roll too

1 Like

My Alma Mater! The food there is solid based on a few business lunches I’ve had there. I love that the restaurant is run by the HRM (Hospitality and Restaurant Management) students there.

3 Likes

The ESGV thread has tons of options.

In Diamond Bar at the HMart plaza we like Tasty Box and Young Dong Tofu. Good lunch options either solo or with others.

For bagels and pastries Bageloo is great for the area. I heard there might have been some changes in the kitchen or ownership recently though. We like the bagels and the cream puffs.

4 Likes

Aljibani Halal Market
Omana’s Tacos
Tijuana Tacos
Mariscos Jalisco
Day Day’s Chicken and Waffles
Mimi 5 Bobee
Taconazo
Baby Elephant Thai

4 Likes

More:
Sugar Rush coffee
Seasons Cafe
Dilliwala (I think only Open for lunch on Fridays)
Pomona Fish Market
Diamond Palace
Lucky Elephant
Young Dong

3 Likes

Liu&Sun Enterprises in Walnut. I believe the set lunch is now $10, still a steal

2 Likes

There’s Midoh Kitchen in Rowland Heights for tonkatsu and other Japanese fare.

2 Likes

Mariscos Jalisco - you already know

Mamas Pupusas - pupusas

Hilltop Jamaican - curry goat, oxtails, jerk chicken, festival bread, curry chicken patty

Ardaya’s Restaurant - barbacoa (weekends)

Kwon’s - fried rice

Young Dong - tofu soup and bibimbap

3 Likes

The Restaurant at Kellogg Ranch

Open limited hours during semester, it could be a worthwhile trip if you’re looking for something outside of the random fast-casual hum drum of the neighborhood.

An open kitchen welcomes you as you walk in and a view of the Pomona valley. This restaurant is entirely run by students at the Hospitality school. There are some instructors walking about just to make sure things run smooth, but the students seem to be making most of the decisions.

Clam Chowder - the roux was a little darker, but this cup was chocked full of clams and bacon

Jerk chicken - the skin on breast was braised, which was interesting. It was moist, but the skin flaccid and it was a touch over. Lots of flavor here in each bite.

Coconut sorbet with passionfruit coulis - that coulis packed a lot of passionfruit flavor. It was a nice way to end the meal.

Super reasonable and it’s nice to see the kids work a restaurant like professionals. I could see myself coming here when I tire of the regular stuff in the neighborhood.

13 Likes

Hot Spot Nabe in Diamond Bar. Particularly the drunken cat fried rice.

3 Likes

Chan Kee (Diamond Bar)

I’ve hit this one up a couple of times.

The porridge options come with a side of youtiao or rice noodle rolls. And for about $16 (including tax and tip), this meal will feed you 3 sittings. They’ve about 8 options and you can visit the topping bar to add ginger, scallions, preserved greens, cilantro, soy sauce or black vinegar to customize your giant bucket of porridge. The House Special includes shrimp, squid, and pork offal…and is pretty tasty.

They have a competent beef stew noodle bowl with your choice of noodles. I picked the knife cut noodles and had about half before I tapped out.

I’ve had coworkers order noodles and wontons, breakfast items, Portuguese-style baked dishes…and the only items that don’t get a satisfactory review were the Portuguese-style baked dishes.

This seems to be a regular in the rotation for the folks.

7 Likes

Dilliwalla is open for lunch! Thanks @bruins!

Went here with my team today.

For $15 you can get a pretty filling lunch (it’s $1 extra for garlic naan). I had to take half of it home, but all the dudes we went with polished off their entire meal.

Our table got a mix of chicken vindaloo and tikka masala. While it was very good, the vindaloo was not as spicy as we all thought it would be. The tikka masala was super flavorful, and the accompanying dal was just as delicious. We even enjoyed the chutneys and pappadam that was the starter to our experience. Each lunch plate comes with a dal, basmati rice, pickled onions, and a samosa.

The only item that could be considered a clunker is the samosa that came with the meal…it was a bit dry inside, but can be covered up with the chutneys.

This has been one of the best Indian places I’ve been to in quite some time.

4 Likes

Great intel! Had no idea they reopened for dine in. Never had a bad meal.

FYI, the Indian grocery next door has really good samosas. The potato is so creamy and full of flavor with a bit of spice.

1 Like

Yummy/Liu (Walnut)

I should hit this place for lunch more often since it’s to close to my office.

It’s a generous box for lunch and comes with a soup that reminds me of meals my Mom would cook while I was growing up.

Today’s options were sesame-garlic chicken, braised pork, or mushroom-bamboo fish. It came with the soup, rice, cabbage, bamboo and tomato-egg as sides. Everything was solid. Tasty, cooked well, and really the perfect lunch for me since it reminded me of evening childhood dinners.

And for $10, it’s really a steal.

9 Likes

@bruins Aljibani Halal Market is a gem! Grabbed a quick lamb shwarma sandwich from their counter today…and it was go very good!

I strolled in to find multiple people buying their whole spiced rotisserie chicken. That’s a good sign to me if people are buying whole chickens at lunch.

The menu is pretty simple and the prepared foods counter is right next to the butcher counter. Sandwiches, whole plates, biryani, stews, and salads.

The sandwiches come in lamb, beef and chicken. It’s only $1 more for lamb. You get pita that’s split open and then stuffed generously with tender lamb, cucumber yoghurt, and veggies for $7.99. I got a small and it was the perfect amount of food. The hot lamb is delicately spiced so the lamb-y aroma is still noticeable. The cucumber yoghurt and veggies are super cold (but flavorful) to provide a sharp contrast in textures and temperature to the lamb.

The folks here are welcoming, but also very efficient. That shwarma sandwich was put together within a couple of minutes. There are tables outside the grocery store if you’d like to stay and eat, however there were a group of friends gathered today. I just went back to the office since I was short on time.

Will definitely be back!

8 Likes

Mimi 5 Bobee

Today’s lunch was really good and super reasonable!

$15 lunch special with Mimi Fried Pork Chop, rice, veggies, stir-fried vermicelli, seasoned egg, salad and an iced tea.

When I walked in it was empty and quickly filled to capacity while I was there.

Looking forward to coming back to try the popcorn chicken, Hakka rice, and beef noodle soups.

6 Likes

I tried to go Aljibani but the kitchen was closed. Bummer. Pivoted to Kyodong Jjampong across the street from where my son was getting his kpop perm. Very good bowl. Clean restaurant friendly staff and easy to order off menu. The right spice level. Not a ton of seafood but a good amount of fresh veggies which I appreciated.

4 Likes