Lustig Culver City - Chef Mairinger is back

Had no idea! Can’t wait to check it out

8 Likes

Cannot wait. Loved Bier Biesel.

5 Likes

We checked it out this evening. Fun menu, not quite running on all cylinders yet.

This is week two of service. I have full confidence Chef Mairinger and his team will get there soon.

For anyone interested in cocktails: The drinks program is supervised by Erik Lund (Rivera, République). We were so pleased to see him behind the bar. Erik is LA cocktail royalty — Lustig was lucky to snag him.

I’d recommend eating at the bar. Great vibes and comfy.

7 Likes

Loved the schnitzel with shishito at Lustig.

5 Likes

We did.
Erik was awesome.
The wood of the bar is really special too.

So good to have his food again.

Schnitz and the cesar salad lustig were great

The merguez pizza was pretty bad - super doughy, not well cooked, bad proportions. Should have had the bread service - I would be surprised is he keeps the pizza department going.
Should be replaced with the BieBeisl Brat menu :)))))

3 Likes

I was assuming it would be an Alsatian tarte flambée style flatbread.

Never assume.

1 Like

Same here

1 Like

yes, that would have been my assumption and maybe that is what he will be working towards.
he gets many a pass in my book since I have had such great food from him over the years.

2 Likes

the flatbreads were the one thing that felt like a headscratcher to me. I can’t see myself ordering them often.

2 Likes

I’d go for the Austrian-inflected menu items, of which Chef Mairinger is very adept at preparing. I suspect the pizza/flatbread offerings on the menu are there to address/appease the pizzamania trend in L.A.

2 Likes

Schnitzel and Sauebraten were both excellent though I think Spago’s schnitzel might be better by a hair.

The paprikash tartar was a nice surprise and made a good accompaniment to the bread and spread service. One of the ‘spreads’ was a delicious austrian potato salad which made me weep a little for the loss of alpine village.

Nice wine list and very good somm service, even drinking by the glass.

4 Likes

How was it getting a seat at the bar? Have some unexpected free time, was thinking to grab a bar seat after 8p

It wasn’t crowded when I went.

1 Like

Sometimes it helps going solo! Bar is full grabbed the last seat. Nice atmosphere, waiting on my first cocktail now.

4 Likes

Whoa they are getting busier! Glad for them.

The (market price) ketchup for Father’s Office is a fun item on the menu lol…

5 Likes

I didn’t go to Bierbiesl so have no memories of it.

I thought the schnitzel and sauerbraten with spatzle were okay to good. I got really internally fussy at the end of the meal. Two of us asked to take our food to go.

Our server packed up one of our entrees, and plopped the other box on the table for me to do. For a $40 entree I feel like it’s not a bag-your-own moment.

As the restaurant presents itself now - I’d give it a C+, B-. However, the cheese cart and coffee service aren’t in effect, yet. So maybe I would have loved that ginger dessert with a cup of decaf.

3 Likes