Majordomo - Chinatown

We rather enjoyed the cod, it was cooked exceptionally well…super tender and creamy flesh with a lovely roasted exterior. Reminded me of baked Vietnamese catfish, but without the crispy skin. The accompanying bok choi and radish was quite nice. My only complaint was that I wish the portion was bigger.

1 Like

Jun Won’s portion is bigger.

3 Likes

cool breakdown of the 3 soups.

That’s so fun to see Chang’s breakdown of the origins and preparation of the soup: sujebi, Southern chicken and dumplings, Hainanese chicken rice, Gabriela Camara’s fish with two sauces. He doesn’t say but you can see that it’s actually steamed rather than boiled (a little liquid in the pot and then it goes in a Rational combi oven).

Why are we roasting chickens at all?

For the skin!

Went Wednesday with a friend who had not been there before. Perfect evening to sit on the patio, which is as comfortable as the dining room.

2015 Bini Serraghia Fanino Catarrato e Pignatello

Fried Oxtail salsa seca, chili, peanuts 21

Still great, but I miss the messy interactivity of the peanuts in the shell. I’d love to see Chang break down this dish. I suspect Cracker Jack was one of the inspirations.

BING
Chickpea Hozon 8

Could totally pass for Middle Eastern. Bing was perfectly cooked.

Bounty Bowl koji mascarpone, Domojang 15

It’s always nice to have this on the table as a foil to the rich dishes. My astute dining companion pointed out that every item on the plate was seasoned, including the lettuce and kale, and that that the koji mascarpone is ranch dressing. The prik khing (“Domojang”) can make even raw kale edible, though not (for me, anyway) Dragon Tongue pods.

Marinated Black Cod Hozon, yu choy, plum 35

Totally different dish than the one I had before, Japanese-style rather than Korean. As perfect a piece of black cod as I’ve had. Makes sense for summer. I presume they marinated it in hozon in place of kasuzuke.

Crispy Rice shrimp, bacon, corn 44

The tahding was one of the highlights of the meal.

Boiled Whole Chicken black truffle, morels, hand torn noodles 88

Best chicken rice I’ve had. Fantastic broth. If I had seen that Worth It video I’d have asked (and happily paid) for more truffles.

Horchata kakigori ($17): was that maple cream on top? Horchata rice pudding at the bottom. Pretty sure there was some coffee. So much fun how different bites had different flavors and textures. We were stuffed but this was light and refreshing.

That would have been a perfectly reasonable amount of food for four people! but there’s not really a dish I would have dropped. Maybe the cod, but it made the Bini shine.

Service was as always exceptional. They comped us some Montbourgeau Macvin as a digestif.

Majordomo not getting a Michelin star is straight-up French chauvinism.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Going Saturday night. Getting geeked out about it. Can. Not. Wait.

4 Likes

I just hate explaining to people how to eat shit.

1 Like

So salsa seca is a Mexican thing. I Googled it the first time I had it (right after they opened) and got nothing. Maybe I made a typo.

From eastside tacos

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnXJk11gxHJ/?hl=en

1 Like

Seca means “dry”, so I guess this is a fancy way of saying ground chili and nut crumble.

Well done, looks like a fantastic dinner.

that 18 pedres blanques is dope. off the list? or your own?

That was on the list.

baja california uni, broken tofu, avocado, yuzu
Huge uni, but I prefer the sweeter ones from santa barbara

(off-menu) bo ssam
Chef Jude is testing out this new dish. I really liked the addition of the fresh oysters which i haven’t seen much of in ktown.

spicy lamb bing

(new) grilled pork chop, squash, smoked tomato, rye xo
Holy shit, I don’t know everything they did to this pig but it was the best pork chop I’ve ever had. The heritage berkshire pig (most likely given daily facials, foot massages) was brined for 18 hours using pink salt, and then coated in a rye xo made from the leftovers grains from their bonji fermentation process, and then grilled.
The result was this pinkish hued meat that was incredibly tender, moist, and full of flavor. Usually the best part of the pork chop is that delicious fatty meat you get near the bone, this was basically that part for the entire chop.
It was also brilliantly paired with sweet summer squash, fried shallots, and super sweet and smoky cherry tomatoes (aka msg balls).
My favorite new dish since the duck crispy rice and I liked it better than hatchet hall’s and chi spacca’s tomahawk. I said it. @Chowseeker1999, @TheCookie, @Bookwich, @A5KOBE, @attran99, @CiaoBob, @chewchow, @J_L

bs fries

kakigori, strawberry, shiso, burrata cream
The fruit kakigori is finally back @Hungrydrunk. Stopped by two nights in a row for this.

15 Likes

:call_me_hand::facepunch::fire: Yes! Did the kakigori have the Yuzu meringue shavings? Dammit, doesn’t look like it has the yuzu shavings

1 Like

Warmer waters make for bigger uni, but colder waters make for sweeter uni.

4 Likes

Nice @PorkyBelly!

Thanks, I’m putting together a little dinner with a few of my girls as we speak. Can’t wait…

My kinda’ pig!

You sure did, but are you allowed to say things like that? I can’t even imagine better!

:pig2: :wine_glass: :ice_cream:

1 Like

Chung Ki Wa in ktown is one place I know that serves bossam with raw oysters. It’s actually a very traditional way to serve bossam. I’m sure there are other places in ktown as well.