Majordomo - Chinatown

Weird night at domo! Party of 6 and not a terribly crowded Valentine’s Day. On the patio and our server mostly absent and weirdly paced food. Maybe a 3.5 hour dinner, understaffed perhaps?

Short rib great as always, other highlight was the stuffed peppers and the spicy fusilli. Sad that the chickpea pasta is 58$ now with mandatory trufflage.

Waffle dessert came out cold AF.

Either way, a good night with the pals and we’ll chalk it up to a holiday and staffing!

5 Likes

Can you order the BS fries a la carte or does it only come with the rib eye? We pre-ordered the short rib so probably not gonna double up on beef.

@Clayfu - the Astrea Caviar dish is different than the caviar, egg yolk and chive bing? I don’t see that dish on the menu online.

that’s the dish. recent menu.

3 Likes

if they have enough you may be able to order alc.

ok I’ll ask… what are BS fries and how are they different than normal fries?

3 Likes

I’m not sure of the exact preparation but the two times I had them they were fucking delicious fries. I believe they soaked them and froze them like mcdonalds and then double cooked them with an air dry in the middle to get them soft inside and fluffy outside 2 or 3 day process. There was also a quite a bit of hype because of their rarity. Originally they offered them a la carte but they took them off their menu for awhile because it was so time consuming to make. Then they brought them back only to pair with >100 steak. You could ask for them sometimes and if they had extra portions they would try to accommodate your request.

Definitely worth having if you go, see this thread for more info:

3 Likes

they’re named after bill simmons, take two to three days to make and involve freezing, dehydrating, and I believe chicken salt.

5 Likes

We got the last a la carte order of the BS fries last night. How do we know this to be true? We tried to order another round and the waitress told us. We did see an order of BS fries go to the table next to us half hour later where @matthewkang was eating with a friend. To be fair they ordered the rib eye which comes with the BS fries. I was going to go over and say hi to Matt but the owner was chatting with them for a long time.

The bings were great as ever. We didn’t ball out for the Astrea Caviar but the Benton’s ham and the OG butter honey are great together.

It’s the first time we ordered the short rib in a long time and it was excellent. The rice is so luxurious. Back of the owners head in 2nd pic.

20 Likes

haha nice! Dave Chang kept bothering us and our dinner got interrupted for an hour. Hence those BS fries coming later than expected. Say hi anytime, always happy to chat. And just push Chang out of the way :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Didn’t know that you knew Gary Clark Jr!

1 Like

Hahaha. It did seem like your food was coming out slowly.

How was the rib eye? I think for 50% of the price it might be a better option than the short rib. It allows you to diversify and get more items at the same price point. The guarantee of BS fries is key as well. We wanted to get a crispy rice but felt redundant.

1 Like

I love the short rib! The wagyu rib-eye is just the round, which takes away the best part…the cap! Still, it was delicious and very simple. The fries are good but not something I need at Majordomo. The stuffed peppers are and have always been the best thing and one fried thing is enough for me per dinner lol. You get about 5x more meat with the short rib so it’s better to share! I miss the crispy duck rice…that was such an amazing shareable entree. I hope they bring it back.

6 Likes

guys - how am I going to put my daughter through college!?

19 Likes

Now serving vegan “carne asada” made from “mushroom root protein.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpL2VeZNmwJ/

dc is an investor in meati

2 Likes

Closest thing we have to them bringing the crudite plate back. I’m in!

1 Like

The domojang is excellent.

(new) tuna tataki - honey, citrus, habanero

nice balance of fatty tuna with the kumquat and habanero.

(new) meati steak salad - market vegetables, macadamia, lemongrass

this dish reminded me of a sauceless nam prik ong with a bit more texture. the meati was nicely spiced and flavored, the fried nori rice crackers acted like chicharrones. this would go well in a bolognese or crispy taco.

(new) fried shrimp - salsa seca, walnuts, honey

this dish used to be with ox tails or fried potatoes, now it’s a fun play on honey walnut head-on and shell-on shrimp.

bs fries

(new) iberico pork - spring onion, fish sauce, lime

pork juicy and tender and just as good as the excellent pork chop that they did briefly, only thing missing was the fat cap. dipping sauce was like a thai crying tiger sauce, goes great with a bowl of :rice: wish there were more grilled onions.

(new) cheesecake - ume, cherry, nori

this was sitting on a bed of kinako and nori powder, not too sweet.

14 Likes

Those new dishes looks great. I’m excited to try the Meati. Signed up on the website but doesn’t look like it’s available in supermarkets right now.

4 Likes

Is meati a beyond meat type substitute?

1 Like