Majordomo - Chinatown

Now you’re really my hero. How insulted would that chef be if he knew you were putting McDonald’s ketchup on HIS burger! McDonald’s!

Eff that. I’m gonna bring an order of Golden Arch hash browns to Father’s Office.

4 Likes

Looks like the candle. :smiley:

THIS is the salt:
salt

3 Likes

The only times you tend to see bargains on restaurant lists are where the menu price is based on the original release price, but the wine has since gone up tremendously in value. So like a “100 pt.” rated wine that was released for $80 might be on a list for $200, but command $300 on the open market.

In Europe I have seen fixed markups on wine, so a 70 Euro bottle could be had for around 100 Euro, which I considered to be a bargain.

Anyway, because of these large markups, I only tend to buy off restaurant lists on the low end of the price spectrum. Like the Edmunds St. John Syrah I bought off the list at Majordomo for around $60, since it retails for $30.

Okay, I don’t know how no one has commented on this yet. WHAT??? How has @Bookwich NEVER had a candy bar???

And WTF else are people hiding in their purses, pockets, fanny packs??? So far, we have uni, salt, and fish sauce??? And where was the kale in this thread? I don’t recall seeing that.

My mind is reeling. Does it matter if Sergio isn’t cooking if I bring a whole f*cking food pantry w/ me???

6 Likes

1 Like

I’ve gone to many restaurants (maybe none in LA) that mark up higher-cost, less well-known wines by a smaller percentage. Often they’re not much more than the current retail price, once in a while less.

Sometimes restaurants cut the markup to sell older vintages before they go downhill.

Agreed Robert, just not in LA generally. By older vintages, do you mean those that are several decades old? Even among whites or natural wines, new releases should keep for many years assuming proper storage.

Most wines are at their peak on release or within a year or two of release and then start to decline. Some are at their peak in 5-8 years, those are the ones where I most often find good values.

Only a small percentage are good for decades. Those are often undrinkable or uninteresting until they’ve been cellared for 8-10 years. I occasionally find good values in those but not that many restaurants have lists that go that deep.

Not my point. Someone said to try it off the list before buying the only bottle on wine-searcher which was a magnum.

But since they were basically the same price. Just go buy the magnum.

I have no opposition to buying off the list. At Domo we usually will always buy a bottle from 200-300 off the list as well as bring our own wine for our wine dinners

avocado, tofu, yuzu
this reminded me of a savory douhua, light, creamy, nutty and refreshing.

Fuck
majordomo_image
and just duckduck… bing it.

duck liver mousse, almonds, cacao nibs, mint, strawberry jam

(off-menu) foie gras, ricotta, strawberry jam

bing bing

(new) crispy rice, smoked lamb, asparagus, ramps
this replaced the outstanding roasted duck crispy rice dish and even though it didn’t top the duck it’s still really good and perfect for spring. the rice is still perfection and the lamb was really well cooked, moist and tender, and i didn’t find it too smoky or gamy. There were also peas, a pea puree, herbs, shiitake and maitake mushrooms and a chicken dashi in the mix. i’m pretty sure they used fresh shiitakes, i think i would have preferred dried ones for more of an umami punch.

bs fries, raclette cheese sauce
dropped @TheCookie, @Bookwich, @attran99 and alan’s name to get these #worthit

horchata kakigori - rice pudding, coffee, dulce de leche cream
i love how you can control the sweetness by using the dulce de leche cream on top.

10 Likes

Whose name did you have to drop to get the foie gras bing? :slight_smile: It’s the same prep as before (frozen shaved foie)?

1 Like

Awesome photos @PorkyBelly! :yum: Nice how you were able to capture the rice pudding center in the Kakigori before the avalanche. Now I’m really kicking myself for not trying to get those B.S. Fries again!

1 Like

I dont know where else to ask this so i’m going to do it here.

is anyone else reeeeeally enjoying Chang’s podcast? it has changed my opinion of the dude.

2 Likes

Listened to almost every episode. He curses like a drunken sailor. I did not know he has all of these anxieties and struggled with mental health so much. My favorite podcast. He seems like a down to earth kind of guy who would be a great dinner guest.

1 Like

He’s a righteous dude.

1 Like

His tagline “i’ll shut the fuck up now…”

2 Likes

And then rarely does.

6 Likes

I tried, and was enjoying it for an episode or two.
But (for me) it just went on-and-on, covering the same few topics, and he just whined so much about how difficult things are for him.
I liked Ugly Delicious, Majordomo, and him as a person a lot, but not what calls “the pod.”

lol! I do really like it. BUT I do completely see how it could bore a lot of people. His choice of guests is quirky as well