Majordomo - Chinatown

Two of the three LA shops where you might find L’Anglore (Lou Wine Shop and Psychic Wines) don’t have their inventory on wine-searcher.

It’s almost $200 on the Domo list after tax/tip. Don’t think it’s a buy at that price. Might as well buy the magnum ;D

Tax isn’t a fair comparison because you would also pay tax at retail. There is tip, but at retail you would pay shipping because it is virtually impossible to find a magnum of a limited production wine locally at retail.

The bottom line, however, is with that logic, one would never buy a bottle of wine at a restaurant because I know of no high end restaurant that doesn’t mark up at least two times retail (yes, that “bargain” on list for $50 could be had at $25 retail or maybe even less depending on what markup the restaurant is taking). So basically you are advocating never buy off the list unless your point is that if you are going to pay a minimum of two times retail, might as well buy the cheapest thing on the list. I usually do bring my own wine because I have so much of it, but there are times where for whatever reason you are buying off the list. And some times you don’t want the cheapest thing on the list.

Or what discount you can find at retail. (Though the rarer the wine, the less likely a discount.)

Standard retail markup is 1.5 times the wholesale price. Restaurant markup is rarely less than three times the wholesale price; in LA, 3.5 to 4.5 seems common.

Was it this salt? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Looks like it. It had a distinctive mineral flavor.

Maybe it was the little jar of Maldon salt I brought?

:wink:

3 Likes

Oh what?? I totally missed that! It was yours! :sweat_smile: It was the perfect finish for the bounty bowl!

hold up wait a minute, you BYOK(ale) and BYOS(alt)?

4 Likes

It’s fascinating. I wonder what else she has in that bag. We know it’s not candy bars. Because she’s never had one!!!

And the duck breast! :yum:

1 Like

I’m BYORB. Bring your own Red Boat. I have a mini bottle and finishing salt. The ultimate insult.

4 Likes

that’s brilliant

And it all started when I had to bring McDonald’s ketchup packets to Father’s Office.

2 Likes

Now you’re really my hero. How insulted would that chef be if he knew you were putting McDonald’s ketchup on HIS burger! McDonald’s!

Eff that. I’m gonna bring an order of Golden Arch hash browns to Father’s Office.

4 Likes

Looks like the candle. :smiley:

THIS is the salt:
salt

3 Likes

The only times you tend to see bargains on restaurant lists are where the menu price is based on the original release price, but the wine has since gone up tremendously in value. So like a “100 pt.” rated wine that was released for $80 might be on a list for $200, but command $300 on the open market.

In Europe I have seen fixed markups on wine, so a 70 Euro bottle could be had for around 100 Euro, which I considered to be a bargain.

Anyway, because of these large markups, I only tend to buy off restaurant lists on the low end of the price spectrum. Like the Edmunds St. John Syrah I bought off the list at Majordomo for around $60, since it retails for $30.

Okay, I don’t know how no one has commented on this yet. WHAT??? How has @Bookwich NEVER had a candy bar???

And WTF else are people hiding in their purses, pockets, fanny packs??? So far, we have uni, salt, and fish sauce??? And where was the kale in this thread? I don’t recall seeing that.

My mind is reeling. Does it matter if Sergio isn’t cooking if I bring a whole f*cking food pantry w/ me???

6 Likes

1 Like