Majordomo - Chinatown

We’ve ordered extra bings. $2 each, IIRC. Great value.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Hello all,

First time going tonight, only a party of 2. Given the current menu, recommendations??? Overwhelmed by how many items sound so good today…

Singaporean dining companion, want to make sure the meal is impressive. Crispy rice w/ lobster seems like a given, but which bing? Donabe or dry-aged ribeye? Or something else and try to get the BS fries on the side?

Thanks!!

If I were going with one other person tonight, I’d get:

Pork & Spicy Pineapple 12
Crispy Butterball Potatoes salsa seca, chili, peanuts 14
Bounty Bowl koji mascarpone, Domojang 15
Tapioca Lo Mein Chinese broccoli, garlic, krill 17
Crispy Rice lobster, Sungold tomatoes, chanterelles 64
Boiled Whole Chicken black truffle, morels, hand torn noodles 88
kakigori
fruit bowl

I wouldn’t order the chicken until we got the crispy rice in case we were too full.

If you really want to impress go big and get the apl ribs and have delicious leftovers the next day.

Otherwise, I would get the following:
Butter and honey bing (ask for shaved black truffles on top)
Duck liver mousse
Uni & tofu
Crispy butterball potatoes
Heirloom tomatoes
Tapioca lo mein or macaroni & chickpea
Lobster crispy rice (must order)
Black cod
Bs fries
Kakigori

I would not get the chicken.

Enjoy.

Chickpea hozon (if you like truffle flavor)
Duck liver and Fish roe bing

Didn’t have any mains other than apl short ribs.

I thought about the pasta with hozon and black truffles, but the chicken with morels and black truffles sounds even better.

Though I’d probably ask to inspect the truffles before ordering any dish with them.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

We went with the Duck Liver Mousse bing; Crispy Rice lobster, Sungold tomatoes, chanterelles, Heirloom Tomatoes stonefruit, basil, sesame; Boiled Whole Chicken black truffle, morels, hand torn noodles; BS fries (standalone side).

Had the fries not been available, we would have ordered those crispy potatoes.

Overall, a very good meal! I do think some of it is a bit pricey for what it is, but it was fine for a special occasion to show an international guest a very good time in Los Angeles.

3 Likes

Is the salmon in the donabe raw, cured, or cooked?

Heads up

3 Likes

Thanks @Ns1. I’m having FTC related coincidences this weekend. Last night I had a discussion with an acquaintance about Chinatown restaurants. She loves Majordomo but hadn’t heard of Little Jewel. I’ll have to tell my new foodie friend about this collaboration lunch. It would be interesting to see what kind of food this seemingly odd match-up brings.

1 Like

I didn’t realize that was local.

bing bing bing

duck liver mousse
the ultimate lb&j (liver butter and jelly)

cultured butter, honey, truffle

lady edison ham
goes great with the butter and honey but a bit too salty on its own.

the following cold and refreshing dishes were all perfect for when it’s hotter than a billy goat’s ass in a pepper patch outside.

diver scallop, cucumber, serrano, yuzu

uni & tofu, avocado, yuzu, sorrel

heirloom tomatoes, stone fruit, basil, sesame

marinated kanpachi collar, pickled mango, labneh, chilies
this had a spicy jerk rub on it that was balanced by the labneh.

crispy rice, shrimp, bacon, chanterelles
i was concerned the bacon would be too salty for this dish but it was perfect, porky but not a salt lick. the rice was outstanding as always, the shrimps were large and snappy, and the tomatoes provided a nice bit of sweetness and acid, brilliant. i really liked the herbs and thai basil too. the whole thing was topped with a shrimp and lobster broth. Highlight of the night @Chowseeker1999, @moonboy403, @TheCookie, @attran99, @Hungrydrunk, @Bookwich, @CiaoBob

majordomo_20190719_182145_1

harry’s berries, blueberries, burrata cream, matcha salt
red, white, and blue #murica

9 Likes

Oh my lawd

2 Likes

I love how the chef incorporates California produce and recognizes the seasonality of local fruits and seafood and meats. It’s really impressive.

I was at another site questioning why so many restaurants use root vegetables as garnishes in the middle of summer. Cabbage, potatoes, turnips? That’s not what I want to eat in July. I got so shot down, lol.

@PorkyBelly Thank you for the great report. I feel we need another meet-up, before all the stone fruit and summer food is gone.

4 Likes

I had celery root purée last night. Is that a summer no no?

I’ve seen great beets, turnips, carrots, and potatoes in my CSA box and farmers markets recently. They’re as seasonal as the tomatoes, stone fruit, corn, and melons.

No BS fries?

P.S. Sold! We had dinner plans tonight and this was the halfway meeting point. Grabbed last minute reservations for 6:30PM. We ordered the cultured butter & honey and spicy pork & pineapple bings, the heirloom tomatoes, butterball potatoes, cod, crispy shrimp rice, and berries.
I tried to beg and bribe for BS fries, and at 6:30PM, our server said that the kitchen only had so many extra orders prepped and they were already out of their extras for the night. Which is bullshit because as we sat for dinner, I saw orders coming out. We were with friends and I didn’t want to make a fuss about it.
I loved the heirloom tomatoes and stone fruit. The crispy rice with shrimp was delightful and a nice change of pace from the later winter duck…while the shrimp were perfectly cooked and seasoned, the tomatoes were the star of the dish…perfect balance of acid and sweet. The berries and cream were exceptional because the berries are the best…but I didn’t really get any of the burrata that was supposed to be there…and our server said it was just whipped cream.

2 Likes

no, i didn’t order them this time.

i’m glad you got to try the crispy rice, did yours come with corn or chanterelles? sucks they didn’t let you order the bs fries and on a slow night too; did you try dropping @TheCookie’s name? how was the cod?

1 Like

Yep, that kinda’ sucks. I’m imagining a lever you can pull and a server drops thru the floor whenever they say “no” to the alc B.S. Fries.

Good report @attran99!

1 Like