Manzke Restaurant

valet is available. There’s metered parking all over and a supermarket nearby

1 Like

Not sure Chef Samson agrees. But it is what it is.

Beware: I’ve heard that the supermarket will tow if they catch anyone parked there while going to the restaurant.

I’m curious whether we can order baguette from Bicyclette while dining at Manzke. I need moah bread than just the laminated brioche. :crazy_face:

Pre-bang baguette buy at Bicyclette. #UnintendedAlliteration

1 Like

4% is added on.

If I’m going to Manzke I’d want the full experience but I guess you could order a nice bottle of wine and save a few hundred bucks. Still one of those special occasion type places for us.

3 Likes

Anyone know what the corkage policy is here?

I believe no outside wine right now

1 Like

If $165x2 is too steep (or x4) - but from the pics there’s only one red wine pairing there. So, if I wanted to save, I’d get the cheapest cremant (champagne/cremant are all-purpose wines - pretty much go with everything). and merlot on the wine list. If the sommelier is decent (and I’m sure he is) there won’t be a turkey in there. If you want red wine for that last protein course - get the cheapest merlot. They should both be more than acceptable. After all the sommelier’s talent is picking out the bargains.

5 Likes

Had the chance to be the inaugural guests for the private dining room. Table hand crafted by chef manzke from a tree from the Philippines. Built during the initial lockdown.

10 Likes

bang bang at pizzeria sei perfect?

We ended up going early to hang at the bar at Manzke instead. Got a hot tip they are putting out some classics. Tip was right! Cocktails are all focused on older release spirits- as a self professed dusty mop hunter I loved em. Proof/texture/sweetness is so different in the 60-80s than it is now. If you like lower proof well crafted cocktails this is the spot.

They also have a very well priced dusty spirits list. We did some damage before dinner.

They told me that you can drink at the bar without a reservation.

8 Likes

This is definitely not the restaurant for me and that’s ok. Space looks amazing though.

2 Likes

I think it’s pretty well priced for the ingredients but some of the cocktails are definitely on the pricier side because of that.

We drank through the whole cocktail list - the Meyer lemon one was delicious and I don’t think $22 is far from the norm for a well crafted cocktail at this level of restaurant. Most of the hotter cocktail bars in La run around 18-20 for a cocktail

I’ll say their cocktails are immediately up with some of the best in LA

3 Likes

I’m too much of a pleb to even find those drinks appealing. Last time I went to majordomo I just asked for the drink in the cat cup (it’s delicious btw)

2 Likes

I’ve never had old spirits do they taste sweeter due to aging or age like wine?

I’m pretty bad at chemistry, but doesn’t age just cause alcohol to break down?

1 Like

Depends on the spirit. Whiskey and the like don’t age in bottle really, they oxidize a bit but it’s super slow. Chartreuse ages in bottle and enhances.

Just back in the day they made it different. Proof tended to be lower as it wasn’t always about in your face alcohol. Water quality different which changes texture . Non gmo grains. The herbal alochol like gin are more herbaceous. Campari isn’t made the same as it was before, they no longer use conchinele beetles (yes!) for coloring.

3 Likes

So if the proof was lower wouldn’t the alcohol be less in your face? Maybe I’m misunderstanding what that means?

Yep. Less in your face. More elegant textures. Not just about heat. Which I mentioned in the prior post

1 Like