March 2022 Rundown

Hit The Puerto Rican Spot Truck which calls themselves the first LA Chicago’s Jibarito, Chicago style Puerto Rican food.

The jibarito sandwich was something I’ve never tried before. In place of the bread, they used flattened fried plantains. I got the steak which had a good marinade and tender.

Was in Vegas last week for March Madness and managed to sneak in a dinner at Raku. As usual I overindulged with rich dishes. I not only got two orders of the tendon, which I love there but a couple other smaller items not pictured. The salmon collar was one of the daily specials and I’m glad I got it. Loved how well prepared it was and it was one of the best collars I’ve had with the luscious fattiness of the meat, not a single spot that was over or under cooked.

Half order of the agedashi tofu

Beef liver sashimi

Salmon collar

Grilled beef liver

Beef tendon

Foie with fermented black garlic

Pork Cheek

Foie and egg custard

Also tried the new Soulbelly bbq from a Top Chef alum. Got the fatty brisket, pork belly, and the pork and cheddar sausage. Tried a piece of my friend’s rib tips and smoked portobello mushroom

Liked the brisket and sausage a lot, the pork belly was good but not necessarily something I’d go out of my way to get. The rib tips glaze was a little too sticky sweet for my tastes. I would have liked the option of getting it without sauce. The mushroom was pretty good.

The rest of my Vegas meals are probably better off in the stoned and drunk thread :rofl: :wink:

17 Likes

Vientiane in Garden Grove = :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Sadly they ran out of Lao sausage, but oh well.

Lao beef jerky:

Laab minced beef salad (minced beef, tripe, fish sauce, lime, rice powder, cilantro, green onions):

Nam khao tod (crispy fried rice with sour fermented pork, peanuts, green onions, cilantro, mint):

Kua mee (Lao style pan fried rice noodle with chicken, pork, & shrimp):

Sticky rice:

17 Likes

Damn, I’m so envious of you that the tendon was available. Nice meal, looks like a great time!

1 Like

Definitely miss weho raku. Damn you Covid!

4 Likes

There was no hesitation to get two orders. I contemplated a third order :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Covid schmovid. The place had gone downhill well before.

negative ghost rider, Raku was awesome until the end.

4 Likes

Agreed although all menu items weren’t always available or some items were phased out, that place was banging till the end.

4 Likes

The intestine and tendon were by far my favorite items, like reason to go there favorite, get two orders favorite. It was like if Langer’s took the pastrami off the menu.

1 Like

more like if langers removed the liver and onions plate. which according to their online menu, they actually did.

2 Likes

Not even close. Langers is almost a one trick pony. Raku excelled in so many things. Their sashimi game was one of the best in the city.

3 Likes

Can’t wait until they open at GCM!

2 Likes

Hah! Passed by it the other day and was thinking the same thing. Looks yummy!

1 Like

Mariscos y birrieria el prieto truck from south San Diego started parking near me in Mira Mesa. I may or may not have gone Friday, Saturday and Sunday. There goes the diet.

Taco gobernador (8.50)

Fish taco

Snapper chicharron

Shrimp a La diabla

Shrimp, marlin and bacon

Shrimp with peppers, veggies and cheese

Burrito mariscada

Ceviche

Wahine Kai Shave Ice (Scripps ranch, SD)

7 Likes

As much as it pains me to agree with @robert, I do think AR’s excellence was severely diminished long before it left. All the creativity - and many of the best dishes and specials - disappeared before the place did (but not the amazing red plastic map of Japan which I believe is still there - or was when @J_L and I tried the new joint that’s there). I came away deeply saddened many times in that last year.

2 Likes

it was downhill after Sergio (chef Matt) left.

4 Likes

Any idea what Chef Matt is up too? He seems to have disappeared from social media as far as I can tell

2 Likes

I wish I knew

Not the Vegas AR?

1 Like

Was that one meal for one person???

1 Like