March 2024 Rundown

The OG Tan Cang on First is the one that started it all. thanks to its popularity they opened one on Bolsa that used to be a “you buy we fry” type of place, and you buy we fry included lobster stir fried the “Tan Cang” way.

So lots of families used to order take out lobster from the Bolsa location. Then sometime in the 00’s they took out all the market stuff and added tables and turned it into a normal restaurant.

10 Likes

The other one is a knock off

Thankfully we went to the OG spot on 1st St in the same plaza as Trieu Chau.

1 Like

That looks amazing!
Not that it matters much if I make the drive but, how was the pricing? One website shows the steamed rice rolls at about $10 - and the portion does look very generous… Does that about right?

3 Likes

The Queen of Mariscos in LA? La Guerrerense popup at Damian!!!

CUANDO???

5 Likes

Mori Nozomi is a wonderful new addition to the L.A. sushi omakase scene, and a worthy successor to the previous chefs in that location. My meal last night was superb - Full writeup is forthcoming…

UPDATE: My pictorial essay has been posted.

14 Likes

the cheese store of beverly hills

got unverified max’fluenced and added mortadella to the la zucca. delicious.

la zucca - crispy zucchini, basil pesto, ricotta, lemon artichoke tapenade add mortadella

the dom - 24 month aged prosciutto di parma, burrata, sun-dried tomatoes

le gourmand - house-roasted turkey, triple créme, maple onion confit

23 Likes

One of my happy places. :hearts:

1 Like

Back to back lunches at Mizlala [crispy broccoli and Kefta plate] & Johnnies Pastrami [Merguez dog & Green goddess].

15 Likes

Kaiseki Motoishi debuts in Beverly Hills! My thoughts and pics are forthcoming…

#SakuraMochiMadeByChefKazu

11 Likes

muri is the name designated for the newest tasting menu at hibi. It debuted tonight, and it was fantastic. We are lucky to have such great artistry in L.A.

One of the highlights made my list for Bite of the Year:
Whiteleg prawn, done tempura-style, with charred avocado, dessicated shrimp skin (!), cilantro flowers, and a kimchee puree base, all on top of a housemade corn tortilla. Think Seoul meets Tokyo, envisioned through a SoCal lens… Huge bite!!!

14 Likes

Yakimono: Amadai matsukasa-yaki, celeriac puree, tomatillo+black garlic, ponzu, cabbage glass chip… Tilefish “pinecone”-style is hard to pull off properly, but Niki-san and Carole-san make it look so easy at n/naka, PLUS they maximize the flavor with all those high execution touches which always dazzle me. The Spring Modern Kaiseki at n/naka is in full bloom!

8 Likes

how difficult a rez is n/naka these days?

Please respond in the standard unit of “Hayatos”
For example:
McDonald’s would be 1/1,000,000 Hayatos
Rao’s in NYC might be 2-300 Hayatos

13 Likes

Current conversion rate is 1 Hayato to 2.0307 n/nakas

9 Likes

Paradise Dynasty (Costa Mesa)

I was super curious and even more enamored at the “sale” price of $4.99 per half dozen order of these pho XLB in collaboration with their Phoholic neighbors in the same complex.

This was not as pho-y as I was hoping. It felt slightly muted. I wanna be slapped in the face by pho when I bite in. I wanna be transported back to my childhood sitting down to my late grandma’s pho. I got more of a hint and faint reminder of that memory.

It’s perfectly fine, I suppose but I was looking for more pho flavor in terms of spices and beefy aromas. I’m happy to have paid $4.99 per order. Prices increase to $7.99 per order starting tomorrow for the first 100 orders each day and $14.99 for 101 and after. It’s not novel enough to me for the return on investment.

The pho flavors were more pronounced when I dipped in the traditional XLB sauce made tableside.

The pork chop fried rice was much more successful. The egg fried rice had great flavor and a balance between egg, rice and scallions. Pork chop was crisp and well-seasoned. I’d come back for this dish alone.

16 Likes

One of the best sandwiches on Eater is in Brea? Who knew. The wagyu pastrami on marble rye at Waygu Carniceria. A very good sandwich. Nice and toasty. Good quality meat pairs well with the cheese and mustard. Wish there was a little more meat but I’ll be back. $22 with a bag of chips and a soda.

15 Likes

Those are great sandwiches!

And the price is easier to absorb than a whole wagyu steak.

2 Likes

You can buy a package of that Waygu Pastrami from the butcher case and make FATTY sandwiches. SO GOOD. I also love slicing it up and adding it to scrambled eggs at the very last minute. Killer in a Breakfast Burrito or just with toast.

8 Likes

Luxe handroll concept Iki Nori soft opens in Hollywood, just one block east of Iki Ramen (6464 Sunset Bl.). The Iki empire now boasts this newest addition, a 12-seat handroll bar. The nori is hyper-high in quality: Flavorful, perfect crispness, and I dare say it’s even better than KazuNori’s. Guests can choose to customize each roll as well. However, unlike KazuNori, Iki Nori features a full bar with fun cocktails, such as the Ube Horchata. Parking in Hollywood can often present problems, but in this case fear not! Iki Ramen customers may use the large parking lot located just south of the building.

As with all things Iki, the side dishes are terrific here as well. One highlight is their mentaiko shirataki (konjac noodles), with ikura and crab: The unusual texture reminds me of the shredded tofu salads seen in Chinese cuisine. And when mentaiko is added, the umami here is really enhanced…

18 Likes

Absolutely perfect timing - great location near the Palladium!

3 Likes