May 2016 Weekend Rundown

Mexican BBQ in Chapel Hill, NC

Mexican seasoning marinated for 24 hours. Smoked over hickory and some cedar.

This is 1 hour line at GCM kind of thing.

6 Likes

Sounds and looks great - how was it?

Sorry, write up here:

2 Likes

##Mori
OOE omakase #oneofeverything
The giant clam was so raw it jumped off the shari and tried to eat my gari

##Tsujita
Dessert

7 Likes

That would be a killer slideshow as your desktop background. Just a suggestion. :wink:

3 Likes

Those pictures look amazing. What phone/camera? @PorkyBelly

1 Like

Thanks, galaxy s6 with good lighting

Stopped by Dune for an organic green herb falafel this morning. It was as wonderful as ever, especially with the outstanding Bub & Grandma’s flatbread, but the wrap seemed slightly smaller overall. Perhaps it was for the best because I didn’t feel uncomfortably full afterwards like I normally do. The greens were particularly vibrant as were the pickles. The shoestring potatoes added a decadent contrast of textures.

Feeling particularly naughty, I also picked up a slice of pistachio gluten-free cake from Proof, one of my favorite bakeries in LA. The cake was very moist and crumbly with a marzipan undertone. And although the pistachio flavor was hardly noticeable, the thin, tart slices of roasted strawberries contributed a welcome bit of zing.

8 Likes

WOW that all looks so delicious! Just looked up Dune on yelp and the photos of their food looks wonderful.

2 Likes

Was over at the Platform today to try out the new expo line to Santa Monica. Stopped by Loqui. The mushroom bowl is a bit of a hack, as you get a lot of food and two tortillas for $10. Food was good but still has the same overall problem–it is underseasoned.

On the Gjusta front, you can now order pick up in advance on chownow. I ordered the smoked fish plate and it gave me the various options to choose from on the website. A couple minutes later I got a call from Gjusta letting me know they were out of salmon belly but could do a nice salmon collar instead. I drove over, and got one of the great take out meals I’ve had. One bag of delicious, crusty bread. And then a full size pizza box full of various smoked fish, pickles, yogurt, and more. I never think of Gjusta as a bargain, but at $15, that meal was a bargain.

As for the fish itself:

Pastrami gravlax: Their best fish IMO. Luscious and perfectly seasoned.

Hot smoked yellowtail: Mixed bag here. First piece wonderfully moist and just right. Last 2 pieces a bit dry, but still good.

Salmon Collar: Unmemorable–just fine.

The real treat with this is just the combination of the great bread, yogurt, salads, and the fish.

6 Likes

When it comes to Gjusta’s fish selection, I find it best to be there. At times, even their salmon belly can be on the dry side. Eyeball the case, see what appeals to you and choose away. Still -as you’ve stated - the whole package is pretty glorious.

1 Like

Thanks for the report back @Haeldaur. Good to know about the Bowls (I’ve avoided them every time I went to Loqui).

For Gjusta, I love their Pastrami Gravlax as well. Bummer they were sold out of the Salmon Belly, and as @bulavinaka said, if you can dine in there, you can choose which pieces you want (normally no issue with larger fish like Gravlax / Lox, etc.

Dune is really wonderful! My husband is a fan of their lamb sandwich. The only miss I’ve encountered is the cardamom iced coffee.

Forgot to mention that the amba (mango pickle) is a nice, tangy foil to the falafel.

1 Like

Lamb sandwich and amba? Making me drool…

1 Like

Thank you! Nothing close to your great reports. The duck pictures didn’t come out well. But here they are

Up close of a breast piece

2 Likes

yeah, those were the last two dishes and a good way to end the meal. You live on this side of town, they take walk ins and can always eat at the bar.

I thought the pricing wasn’t bad for those two items. $38 for 18 oz of the rib eye and $25 for 10 oz of the pave beef.

For a luxurious after work treat, I can see myself popping in for a drink and one of those dishes.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be able to get any work done, I’d just be thinking about sushi all day. oh wait… i already do.

1 Like

@PorkyBelly Mori - Looks perfect. Which one is the clam?

The one trying to do a somersault off the rice before i dismounted it into my mouth, 20th one down.

3 Likes

You’re hilarious :smile:. I thought that might be it, but it didn’t look like clam. Really looking forward to Mori. Thanks.

1 Like