Michelin California

Yeah, I go every few weeks. I wouldn’t tell you to drive across town for it, but if you were in hlp it’s certainly worth a stop.

The mulitas are one hundred percent the move. But it’s charcoal grilled meats, handmade tortillas, a cheese crust, and a ton of tasty guacamole. Can’t really go wrong with them.

5 Likes

yeah that sounds pretty good, if i’m in the area I’ll check them out

next reveal july 18th in oakland. will kato get 2?

1 Like

The Michelin app is really quite good

Carnes Asadas Pancho Lopez
Cobi’s
Eat Joy Food
Villa’s Tacos
Mabel’s Gone Fishing
Maligne
Bansang
Bombera
Snail Bar
Petiscos

1 Like

Snail Bar is great but the prices are kind of high for Bib Gourmand. You could maybe order three dishes for under whatever the price cap is these days (is there one?), but it might not be much food.

What Bib restaurants do have in common is their simpler style of cooking, which is recognisable and easy-to-eat. A Bib Gourmand restaurant will also leave you with a sense of satisfaction, at having eaten so well at such a reasonable price.

Pretty mystified by the Pancho Lopez choice tbh. I think it’s perfectly good but also totally unremarkable in the landscape of casual homestyle Mexican. Feels like someone at Michelin went to their first ever casual Mexican restaurant this year.

1 Like

$49 in 2022

Seems like they have some experience with which to compare.

Birria en consommé is another warming, brothy hit, packing in more delicacy and nuance than the typical effort.

Same! I like their carne en su jugo and am by no means an expert but prefer versions made with flank or sirloin or chuck vs the ground beef style I was served.

Maybe it was an off day? Most of the online photos of Pancho Lopez’s version show steak not ground beef…

1 Like

Oh sorry thought it would be obvious but I didn’t mean that literally. Just a rhetorical technique to emphasize that choosing an unremarkable, pretty standard place in the genre makes it seem like they have only recently discovered that this category can be quite good.

1 Like

More likely the inspectors didn’t agree with you that it’s unremarkable and pretty standard.

Oh! I get it now thanks for explaining! Finally I see that the Michelin inspectors have probably been to a Mexican restaurant before and also that they think places they recommend are good. That had gone over my head and was definitely the point of my original comment. Very helpful and clarifying responses, thanks.

3 Likes

Michelin inspectors visit way more restaurants than end up in the guide, which contains way more restaurants than the ones that have stars, Bib Gourmand, or The Plate. Their legwork is obvious to me in that they occasionally turn up off-the-radar places. Not that that stops the guides from being somewhat narrow in their focus and missing a lot of great places.

2 Likes
1 Like

everyone furiously googling Heritage in long beach

4 Likes

We’re going to Heritage this weekend. Never heard of it previously.

1 Like

how about Valle in Oceanside? Anybody been? Just realized it’s 22 minutes from my parents’ spot in San Clemente. Not cheap, 165 tasting menu!!! And reservations are wide open.

1 Like
2 Likes