Mother Wolf

@PorkyBelly
For me mortazza >> porchetta

@js76wisco
dont be so sure about the vongole - it comes and goes

4 Likes

agreed, just throwing out some more highlights not on his list.

1 Like

5 Likes
2 Likes

Adding the beautiful mortazza image from the article.
God she’s a beauty.
The caption says it is from “Funke in Los Angeles” but that booth is MW. IIRC the mortazza is not (or at least was not) available at Funke.

4 Likes

the mortazza is one of the few mw x funke crossovers

but that booth looks to me like it’s MW, no?

the booths are similar, but i think the caption is right.

funke has horizontal channel tufting, mw has vertical channel tufting.

the marble tables at mw are also more reddish/brown vs white.

mw

funke

5 Likes

Ahhhh…subtle! Nice work!

2 Likes

Forensic boothology, thy name is Porkybelly…

6 Likes

I most certainly had mortazza at Funke but it was not on the menu when we went a few weeks ago.
Great stuff though.

1 Like

they did get one thing wrong with that caption

Funke isn’t in LA.

1 Like

true - unless they mean County.

Or metro area.

1 Like

I went this week with friends. The group picked Mother Wolf, I probably would not have gone as it’s out of my price point comfort, and I’m not the biggest consumer of cheese.

The place is yuge, like Cheesecake Factory huge, and loud. Cool. Lots and lots of wait staff and they are focused on turning tables. We were in and out within 80 minutes, and we had wait staff picking up plates with food still on it, saying “you look like you’re done.”
No. No we were not.

I tried the NA negroni and found it too sweet. We had the squash blossoms, two pizzas including the Mortazza, and spaghetti alla gricia (guanciale).

The squash blossoms at $26 just came out on a plate, plain. The Mortazza was very good however just over the top for my tastes. I really loved the lemon in it, though.

The pasta dish had a big wait for it, so long that our very high energy server came over unbidden three times to tell us he was still waiting for it, and pressuring the kitchen.

When it arrived, it was very good, but again, much richer of a dish than I like.

If I had to do it over again (on my own dime) I’d try the meatballs with a salad or green vegetable.

6 Likes

That would’ve annoyed me to no end.

3 Likes

I always figure they’re saving me from myself when they do that.

If that were my situation, I would be tempted to reply, “Well, looks can be deceiving.”

3 Likes

Better than any squash blossoms I ever had in Rome. Transcendent.

8 Likes