Northeast Los Angeles eats

We went to Pancho Lopez today. The overall experience is great. One of my favorite places in LA. Viva Mexico en America, the band sang. The food? Good but I’d give Tacos 1986 the nod, to put things in perspective.

2 Likes

Anybody try the ceviche/aguachile spot at Home Depot?

I grabbed a ceviche. Will report back. I love this city loll

6 Likes

I was about to respond that someone had, but then I remembered it was a diff Home Depot…

Eager to read your thoughts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow out the back of the car in a handicapped spot lol so random. Looks like it could be really good or potentially not. Please report back always love these diamond in the rough gems the most.

2 Likes

Okay, I totally missed that. Now I’m doubly interested in the review…

And here I am still trying to figure what is so chow-worthy in the parking lot of a South Bay Staples that is so damn good that it has a dedicated thread with over 1080 posts devoted to it!

2 Likes

I don’t think this is the same food but there was a Goldthread video about a spot at that same Home Depot a few years back:

Hah!

I was like, “Wait, where was that Home Depot again? I think actually maybe northern OC? And, oh, right, there’s the search function, and Home Depot can’t have been mentioned THAT many times here…”

Plated. Shrimp ceviche slightly low on shrimp. Honestly, digging it. Punchy and fruity, not super celery forward, which is what I don’t like about El Faro.

Wish they didn’t park in the handicapped spot—but I’ll probably be back!

8 Likes

It probably is out of your way but if you ever find yourself in the area and need breakfast that is one of the best breakfast burritos I ever had.

2 Likes

That looks like some good ceviche I love it when a little fruit is added.

If being a Cart Narc was a real job I would love to work at that Home Depot and eat ceviche for lunch everyday

2 Likes

Ha! I live like around the corner from that Home Depot for the time being and the food vendor game there is strong. That Ceviche lady isn’t always in the Handicapped spot. She started in the periphery, guess she’s getting more comfortable…

With Corea’s not that far away, it would not have occurred to me to even try her stuff… but we did try the Carnitas folks recently. They are there on Thursday through Saturday mornings, right under the overpass.

They make the carnitas there, as well as Chicharon. They gave me a bit to sample and it was SO GOOD. Their bags are a modest size too, so perfect thing to pick up. If you like Keto Krunchies, highly recommend.

They use locally made tortillas, and stuff their tacos full of meat. Very good.

We also ordered a burrito which was HUGE.

They mainly have shoulder, but also do some mean cueritos. They also sell by the lbs which we will for sure get next time. We are so close to where we can pick up some Kernel of Truth Masa (or Maisena Masa Harina) that we’ll make our tortillas next time.

6 Likes

HA! There is also that Tamale guy at the Long Beach Home Depot….

This particular Home Depot though, seems to have more vendors that usual.

But since we are on the topic of Breakfast Burritos…. We had El Huarachito’s famous breakfast burrito and it was awesome.

Lots of Chorizo. Super good beans. This reminded me of the burritos my mom would make before a trip to Disneyland. It would keep us full pretty much the whole day…

We also got one of their breakfast plates… It was huge… specially on these giant Hillstone plates… LOL! This was their Nopales with Egg. The eggs were cooked perfect….

Comes with tortillas that are hand made! Will be back….

9 Likes

You guys gotta identify your Home Depot’s some of that food looks very very good!

1 Like

Damn, what is this Correa’s spot? I just googled it. Looks tasty. But also with traffic probs ten minutes further than Home Depot is from me hahaha.

2 Likes

It’s good! Started as a pop-up in the dude’s uncle’s carniceria, right down the street from Benny Boy in Lincoln Heights. Now they’ve got their own space by County Hospital, and they’re at smorg.

Ceviches and fish tacos are very solid, and their Mariscos Jalisco-style fried shrimp tacos are almost as good as MJ.

4 Likes

The Ceviche and Carnitas came from the Cypress Park Home Depot.

There is also an asada guy, tamale guy, hot dog tent….

5 Likes

It’s a veritable food market!

Looks like there’s a new falafel spot coming to cypress park.

3 Likes

Soft opened last weekend, open for good this weekend I think. Didn’t make it last weekend but I’ve always enjoyed the pop-ups! Falafel is great, as are the vegan takes on other dishes like lentil arayes and cauliflower shawarma.

4 Likes