Northeast Los Angeles eats

I went last week, thought it was stylish and solid. Everything was well made and it’s very nice in there. I’d still put it a step below its top-level competition, but I’d call it a good neighborhood spot. Didn’t have the full menu or anything so not a complete picture. I’d go back for more but I’m not rushing.

1 Like

The batter at Playita has a weird sweet taste. The fish tacos there remind me of funnel cake and I don’t enjoy them. Siete Mares, the fish taco place that used to be in that spot, did not have this issue. You might do better at Tacos Delta down the street.

2 Likes

I think the Hainan-style chicken salad sandwich (with extra chili crisp) is by far their best sandwich, I order one of those once a month. I feel like the other sandwiches are good but a little pricey, but that one is one of my favorite sandwiches in LA.

5 Likes

Villa’s Tacos. Vegan trio and a quesataco ranchera. Lines have died down a little. Still banging. Easy place to drop in now between my record store visits.

Kumquat Coffee. Great selection of beans from Korea, Japan, and Europe. Got the pour over from Leaves (Tokyo) and the house HK Milk Tea. There is a floral taste to the HK Milk Tea that I was not a fan of. Still a great shop!

They were selling these chocolates from Vietnam that peaked my interest. Anyone tried? @$9 though. Pho spices??!!!??! I gotta try it. Even if it’s one and done.

6 Likes

Misc:

Vidiots. What a cool store and theater! If I lived in NELA I would definitely get a membership!! Today they had an Oscar party. Will have to come back and see a movie. Always wanted to visit when they were in West LA. Epic video store!

Need to visit more art house and historic theaters in LA!

6 Likes

@Totoro Best Chocolate in Los Angeles? - #48 by Totoro

2 Likes

I haven’t tried my chocolate bars yet (only my drinking chocolates), though I did remember the few samples I tried. My taste buds are average.

I really liked:

I liked:

3 Likes

Legit. Guess I gotta try it. Vietnamese coffee one sounds so good

Lol I went into that record store. I ain’t hip enough to find much use for it smh.

1 Like

LOL Estuario is a pretty niche record store. I love the selection of international music. Some of it is what I personally call “public library” records….which is probably not hip at all to most people lol! Julian and Eduardo are super chill dudes over there.

NELA has so many great spots down the street is Gimmie Gimmie, and Arroyo. Record Safari, Jackknife, Permanent, Sibylline in Pasadena. It is a music nerds paradise here!

It’s been real fun exploring this area of LA. Going to try and go bird watching at Audubon Center at Debs Park next weekend. Than maybe checkout the Victorians at Heritage Square.

Need to try something different besides Villas, Azteca, Mariscos El Faro, Kumquat, Dune in Atwater.

2 Likes

How could you miss Rappcats?

1 Like

I was in Vietnam a little over a year ago and visited Marou’s store in Ho Chi Minh City. Everything I tried was good, and I wound up bringing back a lot of their chocolate (not as much as @Totoro ). I just finished the last of them recently! Though my tastes are a little uncommon–I only brought back the 100% cacao ones.

2 Likes

I will fix that. Thank you. Are they affiliated/friends with Madlib??

Also forgot Pop Overbite, Healing Force Of The Universe, Commune, Poo-Bah, Cosmic, and more I am probably forgetting!

Damn than I gotta try it. Wow 100%. I think the 70-80’s is my range. I need to step it up! Had no clue about Vietnam and chocolate.

1 Like

I don’t think they’re open for normal hours, popups I’ve seen mostly. Missed the one with Sonor Music Editions.

I think they’re one of the most interesting record stores around right now. Super niche and different than a store mirroring a Spotify “most streamed” or same old genre selections. All told, I can’t afford to take so many risks on LPs I might not myself enjoy! But I love them

1 Like

Mount Analog in Silver Lake is great for this kind of esoteric stuff too. I picked up a couple things there from the Born Bad label recently that really rip.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m a bag fan of Mount Analog too. Always leaving with one thing when I pop in.

Videotheque has a modest but nicely selected stack of soundtrack and Library Music records too.

4 Likes

Mount Analog added to my to-do list! Thank you!

We got a good handful of music nerds here in FTC.

2 Likes

I’ve tried that pho spiced bar! It was nice, more subtle on the spice than you might expect. Still prefer their unflavored bars but they do a good job with balancing out the added flavors with the chocolate itself.

3 Likes

What unflavored bars did you like?