October 2016 Weekend Rundown

ALCHEMIST COFFEE PROJECT

Had some time to kill before our table at Kobawoo was ready, so we popped our heads in for a Duo Latte, which is espresso & milk tea. Pretty dang good, and they have a whole bunch of other specialty-type espresso drinks that looked interesting.

Seven Vermont Plaza
698 S Vermont Ave #103
Los Angeles, CA 90005
http://www.alchemistcp.com/

KOBAWOO HOUSE

First time dining here and the bosam didn’t let me down. The boiled pork belly was tender and had great flavor. Loved it with the crunch of dat cabbage and pickled radish. Also tried the Chicken Barbeque, which was sweet and tasty.

Seven Vermont Plaza
698 S Vermont Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90005
https://www.yelp.com/biz/kobawoo-house-los-angeles-2

DRIPS AND SWIRLS

Found ourselves with some more time to kill before our concert (Moses Sumney at the Immanuel Presbyterian Church), so we wandered over for some soft serve. Currently, they only have two flavors, which rotate daily. The dude said they’re hoping to have another machine soon for more flavors. Tasted the S’more Berry (Strawberry) and got a cup of the Cotton Candy, which wasn’t as cloyingly sweet as most cotton candy-flavored stuffs. I’d definitely go back to try the cold brew coffee soft serve. Forgot to get a picture, but it actually resembled the lighting at the concert…

3076 W 8th St
Los Angeles, CA 90005
http://dripsandswirls.com/

8 Likes

Had a great meal at Newport Seafood (Santa Ana). Usual family dinner + 10 pounds of glorious lobster (2x5 pounders). Lobster was good and there may or may not have been some roe accidentally slipped in there. The real surprise of the show though was the fried fish, which was possibly the best fried fish prep I’ve had in a while. Super crispy outside, meaty, just outrageously good and overshadowed the lobster which was way more expensive @ $17.99/lb.

Crowd seemed significantly more manageable than 626 location; plaza is currently being remodeled.

9 Likes

Oh geez. That would have been good info to include… Yes! Got the vegan Silencio Black Tea & Coconut Stracciatella. It was GREAT. Lovely black tea flavor and great lil crunchies for texture.

Glorious lobster, indeed. I don’t know what magic they have but roe mystically appears everytime I go there…never been to the SGV location.
The fish sounds great. I’ve never had the fish before, either. Will have to try it next time we take my parents there for dinner…thanks, @Ns1.

part of the standard $98 dinner meal - waiter asked if we wanted steamed or fried and we went with fried. don’t get the fried chicken that’s part of said meal though - awful.

fairly accurate yelp pic:

6 Likes

@Ns1 I already see two of my favorites on your table…the lobster and the clams with the Thai basil…yum! Perhaps a dinner with the parent will have to be sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Fun and interesting weekend dr president. Pretty cool musical taste.

Thanks for providing location :wink:.

[quote=“Ns1, post:164, topic:4358”]
the lobster which was way more expensive @ $17.99/lb.
[/quote]Pretty remarkable, considering it was considered poor people’s food in 17th century New England.

Made the same comment as we were eating it!

1 Like

Bang-bang at the nomad truck @ the line hotel and andare/cento pasta bar @ birch.

#Nomad truck @ the line hotel

the nomad - chicken burger with foie gras, truffle mayo, frisee, pickled shallots :chicken:

fried fish sandwich, piquillo aioli, cabbage slaw, toasted potato bun :fish:

milk and honey soft serve

#andare/cento pasta bar @ birch.
avocado crostino, truffle, creme fraiche

ricotta gnocchi, 'ndjua, fennel, grana padano :pig:

8 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

So how was the food at Nomad Truck? Worth it?

And was Chef Avner there at Birch today? (I’m curious if he’s gone back to Cento or is staying at Birch?)

Both my sandwiches were solid. the fish sandwich reminded me of a suped up filet-o-fish. a slice of yellow processed american cheese would have put it over the top. i didn’t get much foie in the chicken sandwich but the truffle was definitely present, it did remind of the foie gras and truffle chicken i had at nomad in nyc. The chicken could have been slightly larger for the size of the bun though. The milk and honey soft serve was awesome, i’m not sure what was in it, it tasted like pieces of crispy meringue and crunchy clusters.

i did not see chef avner today, but he was there last week.

2 Likes

Thanks @PorkyBelly.

So was the taste of the pasta at the Birch pop-up OK?

Lunch at Destroyer.

chicken confit, romaine, burnt onion, hazelnuts, yoghurt, $16

beef tartare, smoked egg cream, pickled mushroom, radish, $14

macchiato, $3.5

I love the way the food is presented. It’s like a Fabergé egg, with a beautiful surprise inside.

The beef tartare is one of the best things I’ve tasted this year.

Destroyer
Hayden Tract, Culver City

5 Likes

Your photos of the beef tartare with its canopy of finely sliced radishes, nasturtiums, and dill are just gorgeous.

2 Likes

#Raku

Roe v. @PorkyBelly. Spoiler alert porkybelly wins Poached Egg with Sea Urchin & Salmon Roe

The money shot amiright @bulavinaka? #NSFW

aji sashimi

heads or tails @TheCookie?

grilled salmon belly. fatty, salty, crispy, juicy, awesomness

duck with balsamic soy sauce

bacon wrapped tomatoes #salad

bacon wrapped enoki mushrooms

direct-flamed eggplant with bonito

chicken teba wing

chicken thigh

portabella stuffed with ground chicken

pork cheeks

matsutake dobin mushi with scallops, shrimp, conger eel, gingko nuts

12 Likes

Thank you. Do you think the chef went to art school first? Everything is so beautiful there, even the serving bowls.

(Now if they would only replace the plastic silverware, or at least provide chopsticks as an option. I keep forgetting to bring my own.)

1 Like

why oh why aren’t they doing this tomorrow???!!! I live walking distance, but I’m not home for lunch M-F. :unamused: How was the chicken sandwich?
edit—just saw your reply in a later post. thx!

You’re in luck they’ll be outside trois mec Sunday 7-9pm

My fagiolini I got previously was excellent, today’s gnocchi was good but not as good as the fagiolini.