October 2022 Rundown

I went for bar bites and it was the worst QPR I’ve ever experienced

Just replying via email so not sure of the order of pics, but our usual order is the casunziei, gramigna, and agnolotti and that’s what we got this time.

I think the pics I was referring to must be the agnolotti. I don’t think I’ve ever tried that one. How do you like it?

Thanks, this is very timely as I have a dinner with my wife at Addison for the end of this month. I was debating what to do about the wine (pairing, order of menu, bring from home and pay eye watering corkage fee). Leaning towards ordering off the menu as you have done.

I’m sure I will be consulting with the somm, but does it sound like you could have done instead maybe a full bottle of champagne and a half bottle of red based on the dishes?

Boss bought Prime Pizza for us at work so I snapped a quick pick before grubbing.
Definitely one of the better slices in LA.

IMG_4971

Wife bought home some great breakfast burritos from The ChoriMan in San Pedro, this one is the birria breakfast burrito and was delicious with the red salsa.
Also had a bite of the Chorizo and was delicious, but we have been eating the Silva brand Mexican chorizo from Whole Foods a lot so birria was a nice change.

BZ9ebEKWx5ccngjDxRSgiwN9.jpeg)

Then the wife came home with this bag and I am going to have to work an extra shift

Not the best pic but I was surprised by this pretty good double cheeseburger and fries for $13 in the pub inside the new Culver City Whole Foods. Also had a great selection of beers.

13 Likes

Hah! Went into Erewhon once, and I wondered how my former neighbor could afford to be getting stuff from there CONSTANTLY.

I think Prime does a good job w/ the non-meat toppings, too.

3 Likes

I didn’t realize Addison was in San Diego, and thought, damn, they’re really trolling Bill Addison hard.

2 Likes

Yeah different strokes for different folks I guess, for me it doesn’t make sense the amount of money ppl are willing to spend there for prepared food. I feel like you could get the same stuff at gjusta at that price but like 10x better.

4 Likes

Flannery pork cap:

• after sous vide
  • before searing
  • dusted with fennel pollen & porcini powder

Final product

End transmission.

12 Likes

135F or higher ?

Start at 135 to melt connective tissue, then use the Dave Arnold technique of reducing temp a couple of times over the last part of the cook. Stands up better to end sear.

3 Likes

Oops

If I were to do the meal again that’s what I would do.

The newish Prime in Santa Monica is on my way home from work and we are fans - I’ve been stopping every couple weeks for a pepperoni and mushroom pie. Although last week I went three blocks out of my way to pick up a meatball and mushroom at Vito’s which was definitely worth the detour.

5 Likes

I went to Broad St in Malibu and the Fried Clams were really scrawny with minimal belly. C&T have been much better.

2 Likes

Ronan

“Irene” Marsanne from Preston Vineyard & “Tomato, Tomahto” - tomato, garlic, basil, oregano

The Narrator - black pepper-infused, vodka, cocchi americano, grapefruit twist

Banana & Chocolate Chip

Horses (Ben D1 Edition)

I’m still looking over my shoulder. I had a random Friday afternoon free and walked over to Horses to catch dinner at opening. They sat me in Ben’s Spot. I learned that you get to watch the famed Horses water drop races when they lift the bar to move in and out. I’ve only ever sat next to Ben, and even then I didn’t know about this pastime. Luckily I came out on top and was able to pay for dinner.

I really like the two starter, pasta as main dinner build.

Margarita - mezcal margarita shaken with cucumber and dill

Hand cut steak tartare

Eggplant caponata, mascarpone and pine nuts

Pappardelle pomodoro with bottarga and basil

Goat’s milk ice cream with armagnac toffee and walnuts

Quarter Sheets Pizza

Last time I stopped by they had just started doing choose your own indoor seating but this time there was seating + service. Also a slow buildout of more menu items.

Started with a glass of Rosé Pet Nat - Lambrusco-esque, tart fruit fit ‘Piu Piu’ - Mosel, Germany. They said it was Pinot Noir if I remember, deep ruby color, lovely.

Butter Beans - Hannah’s feta, sungold tomatoes, Aleppo, whey, Persian mint. The lime zest on this sold it. I love bean dishes and always order them.

Sicilian Corners - burrata, red sauce, hot pepper, basil

Bub and Grandma’s

Had a great Americano here. I remember being offered coffee with B&G beans at Kato and regretting not trying it.

Crab - crab salad, remoulade and tartar sauce on house

Any crab that spills over, add it to your potato salad

The Garden at Horses

Got to bring a few friends here. Good times, killer patio.

The menu has expanded since last month. It was dark so lighting wasn’t the greatest + I wanted to focus on conversation. Only took a few pictures.

Another party, another Garibaldi. Followed that with a glass of Barbera/Sangiovese Rosé from Pasini San Giovanni

We had the Dates, Eggs, Ceasar, Caviar Carpaccio, Arrabiata, Garden, Herman, Burger, Apple Crisp and a 25oz something or other, basically a larger format version of the Butcher’s steak from an 8 year old cow. They had 20oz, 25oz, 31oz and 33oz (last two bone-in)

Peppers & Celeriac Dauphinois to accompany the steak

17 Likes

At first glance it looked like you were eating a spaghetti sandwich lol

5 Likes

Doesn’t that make the glass more challenging to hold when drinking? My thumb is usually below the part of the glass where I am drinking from.

2 Likes

AND WHAT IF I WAS!?!

Don’t you judge me.

8 Likes

Lol that reminds me of a chilaquile or tamale torta in cdmx lol which are delicious btw

3 Likes