October 2023 Rundown

Mo Ran Gak (Garden Grove) mul-naengmyeon with kalbi. good noodle texture. I still prefer Yuchun’s broth but this hit the spot still.

'Cane

Izakaya Hachi (Torrance). love the aburi saba pressed sushi, thick cut
beef tongue, and kamo rosu duck. I wish there was a good izakaya like this near me. they were out of Denshu but I was driving anyway, but the kamo rosu would’ve been great with some yamahai.

fried nankotsu and kaki furai also pretty good.

Broad Street Oyster (Malibu).
lobster roll, this is with the “extra.” slight preference for chives not green onions and Connie & Ted’s is a little bit better, but this is still pretty good. I wouldn’t line up on the weekends for this, but we were in the area and there was no wait on a Tuesday at 3pm. lobster bisque pretty good as well.

soft shell crab sandwich

Horses the usual sobrassada panino, caesar, tartare or smoked salmon lavash, the Herman, the cheeseburger, and several Vespers.

15 Likes

Corner Deli (West LA): The take-out blue collar Ultimate Breakfast Burrito here is the best breakfast burrito I’ve had in a long time. Huge bite!

Zheng Dou Kee Wonton King (Monterey Park): Soft opening in the SGV! As the somewhat braggadocio name implies, they DO make a damn good wonton! Terrific wok hei on that beef chow fun also! Really good Hong Kong fare…

99 Ranch Market (Westwood): Slated for a November roll-out (at least that’s what the manager told me)…

Atla (Venice): Enrique Olvera (Pujol) brings high execution casual Mexican cuisine to the beach (right next to Felix). The $24 lobster burrito was fabulous, worth every cent (Huge bite!)… But the seafood coctel? Not as stellar, as the sauce was way, way overpowered. I didn’t have space left for the $9 bougie suadero taco. The service was friendly and made our evening better!

21 Likes

Lupe’s #2 - East Los Angeles

Love their chile relleno burrito :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

12 Likes

Panholic is open in Brea at the Target Plaza off Birch. Legit Korean Chinese food in the North OC.

Highlights are the spicy jjamppong, sweet and sour pork and fried dumplings.

The jjajiangmein was way under salted. My friends complained that it was way over salted on Friday. So much so that the owner came out and apologized. They must have over corrected. Opening pains. We will be back often. We usually drive 20-25 mins for this type of food. So happy for our new neighbors.

11 Likes

BYOMSG lol

1 Like

Probably the funnest thing we did in the last week…

8 Likes

I’ve been craving a meatball sub the last few days. Any suggestions for a great one anywhere in LA?

1 Like

We tried Ggiatta this past weekend - it was better than I thought, and they have a meatball sub on the menu.

Is it as good as places back East? Nah. But it might scratch the itch?

2 Likes

I been eye balling the meatball sub at Danny Boy’s. I regret not ordering one while I was nearby.

If you happen to be in Anaheim, Cortinas makes a great meatball sandwich. A lot of Italian markets with a deli have pretty disappointing bread. Cortinas has good bread. Also good is the roast pork sandwich (Philly style), and chicken or eggplant parm sandwich. Stock up on some canned Bianco tomatoes, cured meats, olive oil and pasta.

I wanna try Ggiata’s meatball it looks great!!!

That would probably be my first choice even though I never had it lol

6 Likes

The BEST is at Sunday Gravy. I haven’t had the one at Danny Boys, they have excellent meatballs (only ordered them as a side), but Sunday Gravy has a great fresh bread purveyor, don’t know who Danny Boys uses.

Some Prime Pizza locations offer Meatballs Sammiches (I found out yesterday that the Little Tokyo Location does not). I like the Prime meatballs (Great shortcut to use with with pasta you make at home). but the Meatballs at Sunday Gravy are still superior.

6 Likes

Cortina’s indeed does make a great meatball sub. If you’re ever in Anaheim definitely worth a stop. They also sell frozen meatballs with tomato sauce in vacuum sealed packet. Excellent easy week night dinner.

3 Likes

Gwen stopped doing their meatball sandwiches right? Those were some of the best I’ve ever had. I usually just go for the boring classic Italian deli ones like Eastside Deli or Giamela’s, but if you’re driving around Busy Bee in San Pedro is pretty great in general. Also a wild card, if they’re still making it, the meatball sando at Beachwood Brewery in Huntington Beach was bonkers.

2 Likes

Little Coyote meatball sub is damn near perfection.

4 Likes

Gwen was so good

1 Like

Gwen’s sandwiches were so legit.

2 Likes

Prime in El Segundo has meatball and chicken parm sandwiches. Santa Monica and West LA definitely don’t. I am also a fan of their meatballs but haven’t tried the sandwich yet.

2 Likes

Drove a quick back and forth to Vegas to check out Postcard from Earth. One afternoon, one night, one morning, second afternoon. Didn’t do anything too crazy, some vintage shops, driving and a lot of walking. Put one dollar into a slot machine.

Yaw Farm Coffee Roaster

Only takeout here so I wandered around the parking lot for a half hour drinking my bubble gum

Palace Station Oyster Bar
Showed up after coffee and waited five minutes, maybe because it was morning but a lot of regulars sitting at the bar

Oysters

Bloody Mary

House Étouffée - heat level seven for that breakfast zing!

Esther’s Kitchen
Packed on a Wednesday, last minute dinner before heading home.

Cannellini Beans - lardo, speck, pistachio oil

Little Gem Salad - Bradleys’ caesar, sourdough croutons, anchovy, chili

Aussie Wagyu Beef Carpaccio - charred + pickled mushrooms, basil aioli, mcgrath mustards

Brussels Pie - truffle panna, fingerling potato, fried rosemary, saba

Bacon + Shallot Agnolotti - charred corn butter, chive, nueske’s bacon

Butterscotch Budino - whiskey caramel, honeycomb, whipped cream

11 Likes

How was Esther’s Kitchen? It’s been on my list forever. What LA place would you compare it to?

It’s solid with good pasta.

3 Likes

Yeah I had a great time. I wanted to check out La Strega too, know someone who went a few weeks ago and enjoyed it.

3 Likes