Pasjoli - Santa Monica

basque cheesecake #covid15
chutoro for scale

Burnt and caramelized on top but soft, airy and almost custardy in the center. Pretty damn good.

Recipe for anybody who wants to try it at home @TheCookie, @Bookwich, @foodshutterbug

14 Likes

How does it compare with Margarita Manzke’s (decidedly gooey-ier looking) Basque cheesecake at Republique (pictured below)?

p.s. Effin’ delicious.

13 Likes

Is the republique basque cheesecake a dinner or daytime item and is it regularly offered?

Not sure. I was there earlier this week and there it was, sitting in the display case, imploring me to try it. Impulse buy.

3 Likes

The one at Pasjioli looks a lot more like the one I had in San Seb at La Vina.

2 Likes

i’ll have to try margarita’s version and get back to you. odd it doesn’t look like the slice @TheCookie got, maybe hers was still chilled? either way it looks delicious.

i’m also curious why mine didn’t turn out all runny and gooey like the one in the video, even after letting mine rest for about an hour. i’ll have to do some more research aka eating cheesecake. @attran99 how did yours turn out?

3 Likes

Hey! Mine didn’t get runny either. It had more of a lite cheesecake consistency.

Hi @hungryhungryhippos - It was daytime both times I had it.

1 Like

Looks like the consistency of époisses…

1 Like

Geez this sounds like the dessert doublefecta mango passion fruit slice and basque cheesecake slice

1 Like

I’m slicing my cheesecake today…had to wait for my friend who went half in on it with me. Will keep you posted @PorkyBelly.

2 Likes

The cheesecake was great! After I split my with my friend, I let it sit out for at least 4 hours before I cut a slice for myself. It was delicious, but no where as oozy as Epoisses or the video that Chef Beran posted…which made me a little sad. Mine only oozed a little.
Going to share a slice with a friend later. She had to cancel her trip to Spain due to the outbreak.

2 Likes

This cheesecake is epic best cheesecake ever personally. Got it yesterday and split it with a friend. They were nice enough to pre cut and box separately.

I let mine sit out for 1 hr and it oozed quite a bit.

If you want to try cooking one at home during quarantine. Here’s the recipe:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-burnt-basque-cheesecake-20190321-story.html%3F_amp=true

6 Likes

The recipe (as Beran himself says) isn’t difficult. Perhaps I’ll try it after the pandemic b/c I can’t imagine eating the whole thing myself, and I doubt my neighbors will want to accept something like a cheesecake right now…

2 Likes

Eat the whole thing quarantine 15!

4 Likes

Did you order it on their website?

I don’t see it anywhere on their menu.

Thanks!

1 Like

E-mail them to order. The address was in their original IG post.

2 Likes

Can’t afford another 15 w/ all the pizza and unhealthy sandwiches I’ve been eating! ::sigh:: :wink:

1 Like

On https://www.ordersocialeats.com/dialogue it says
To order a Basque Cheesecake, please email info@pasjoli.com

1 Like

email info@pasjoli.com to reserve

https://www.instagram.com/p/B97napxHm7x/

1 Like