Petit Trois

I’m not. I love that place.

2 Likes

Laugh’s on you if you do.

Stopped going to the Highland location years ago b/c food progressively turned into nothing but salt bombs. Went to the Valley location and felt the same about the food. It was worse than the food I’ve had at CDG.

2 Likes

Petit Trois has used as much salt as they do in France since day one. There are lots of other places that pander to anti-salt Americans.

1 Like

Restaurants that have both a service charge and a tip line and try to make sure customers know that are in the 99th percentile as far as trying to do right by both their employees and their customers. Besha Rodell laid that out in detail in the piece I linked to already:

Avoiding a place that’s going the extra mile for everybody is its own punishment.

This latest discussion made me remember I didn’t report our last visit. To give an idea of the time lapse, this one was late night on the day France won the World Cup (hence the banners). We couldn’t have picked a better date. Everyone was joyous and celebratory. Lots of jerseys. Service was upbeat and the eclectic music selections were like the DJ version of omakase - Classics (Edith Piaf), American R&B, Hip-Hop, Anthems, New Age, World, Electronic, you name it, but all sung in French, performed by French artists. Really cool.

They didn’t. My mistake. I realized it during this visit… it’s an Old Fashioned made with Hudson Manhattan Rye Whiskey. :slight_smile:

Copy from my last report. I :heart: this Bread!

Endive, Walnut, Avocado, Anchovy, Ubriaco Cheese

Nice combinations of sharp, salty, creamy, nutty, sweet and crunchy texture. Good job on this one.

I can now say I’ve had Lobster Thermidor @foodshutterbug

Steak Frites w/Cognac Pepper Sauce

The sauce was good, but I didn’t think the beef had particularly good flavor or texture.

Paris-Brest

I wish I had gotten the Napoleon.

Chocolate Mousse

To me, they went too far trying to make it less sweet and more dark chocolate-y, and whipped cream didn’t makeup for the bitter, chalkiness. Don’t laugh, but I like the cold, housemade, Chocolate Mousse at La Paella much more.

Apologies for grainy photos, PT’s evening lighting is not conducive to photo taking.

I :heart: PT, but did see for the first time why some don’t like it. They have a few excellent dishes, but also a few lackluster offerings with definite execution problems.

It was around $150+tax. We paid the 18% Service Charge and gave the waiter $10 cash directly.

Happy Eating & Service Fee Paying!

3 Likes

:-1:

1 Like

going the extra mile for everyone but the consumer, who for some goddamn reason has to break out a 10key and is somehow magically involved in the compensation equation for the employee.

3 Likes

Nice review. That sauce on the steak frites looks great – too bad the meat wasn’t so good. So how salty were the fries? :o) I’d been warned prior to my visit and asked for less salt, and they were still too salty to me. Oddly enough, their beautiful-looking French Onion soup wasn’t salty, and they usually are, very. Not much flavor though. I take it you weren’t impressed with the Thermidor?

Although I wasn’t enamored with their food on the whole, I thought their bread and butter was the best I’ve had.

2 Likes

The American tip system already makes the customer responsible for a significant share of restaurant employees’ compensation. Service charges are an attempt to reduce the disparity between front and back of the house income.

I personally prefer a service charge with a no-tipping policy and a message explaining that on the bill, but restaurants get pushback from customers who want to leave a tip on top of the service charge, which obviously will increase employees’ income, so they like it too.

Thanks @CeleryVictor!

I don’t remember the fries really. That’s amazing about the not-salty soup, especially FO. I’m getting it next time. Honestly, and I am a salt complainer (apparently an American character trait), the only thing I remember being salty was once the butter lettuce salad had a tad too much big, crunchy, finishing salt, but that’s a quibble. We’ll see next visit…

My favorites have been the Bread, of course, Escargot :kissing_cat: the Potato Darphin! And the Omelette, although I agree it’s a little too rich w/Boursin. I’m not seeing Potato Darphin on the menu right now and that might be a deal breaker. It was a perfect dome of crispy goodness, wrapped around savory, julienned potatoes, and big enough for two. :heart:

No, unfortunately, I did not like the Thermidor. And that might be a me thing. I’m somewhat of a lobster purist - steamed, drawn butter, lemon, a little creamy salad on a roll, the occasional newburg, some bisque, ok I’ll stop. But this had melted cheese, mushrooms (which I kinda’ hate w/lobster) and way too much cognac or whatever they use. I don’t mind the béchamel w/nutmeg but it just competed with the other stuff. Plus, I had preconceived notions. I have been watching Rear Window since I was a kid and wanted it to look like this…

Okay, not like this. This is a photo taken of the movie screen, but…

3 Likes

Too bad my taste buds say otherwise, seeing as how as I had no issues with the salt level at restaurants in France.

Let us know how it is – maybe my beautiful-but-flavorless FOS was an anomaly – I actually sent mine back. I’ve never had Thermidor, but all that sounds excessive, although I do love a good crab au gratin. The thermidor from the movie looks better to me as well.

Based on the burger I got there, they tend to go overboard on some dish components. Their so-called foie-infused-bordelaise tasted like pure Worcestershire to me. Ended up wishing I’d ordered the omelette, salt notwithstanding. I’ve since seen Ludo do it on TV, and have made it myself – good but pretty dang salty just from the Boursin (and I like Boursin).

That Potatoes Dauphinoise is a thing of beauty. I’d order that in a hot minute.

1 Like

So ( to insure proper service. ) tips . Your ok with a automatic 20 % tip even with horrible service .

Hi @CeleryVictor -

Okay, not salty and flavorless too? I didn’t get the flavorless part from your comment. That reduces it from definitely to maybe I’ll try it. :wink:

Yah, I saw Ludo make that omelette too. It really is perfectly cooked, just a little rich, better for sharing… w/those potatoes. :yum: My favorite French omelette in this ‘hood was the goat cheese & asparagus topped w/a dollop of sour cream & herbs or micro-greens at Joan’s on 3rd, but last time it didn’t have the same finesse and was overloaded w/chopped-up asparagus & an unpleasant goat cheese. I’m hoping it was just the chef that day.

Yep, I’ve heard a lot of complaints about PT’s too much of a good thing burger.

No @Emglow101 I don’t want to pay 20% for bad service. That’s the common worry from customers (including myself), but according to the article linked the worry is not backed up by statistics or facts. Basically a bad server is a bad server whether they’re getting tipped or not. My point is I don’t mind (well kinda’) paying my usual tip % and the 2-3% healthcare charge or just paying a straight up 20% service fee. But charging an 18% service fee (for what?) then expecting an 18-20% tip is bullshit. I support universal healthcare and don’t mind putting my money where my mouth is, but this seems excessive and greedy.

5 Likes

One time we were sitting at the counter and ordered two omelettes. Two of the cooks had a race.

Nobody expects that. To the contrary, the servers at Petit Trois point out the distinction between the service charge and the tip line precisely to avoid ripping off customers who aren’t paying attention.

The second solution is for the server to give a clear verbal indication that service is included. This is so very easy that it makes me think any place that does not require this of its servers is hoping people won’t notice and will overtip. At restaurants run by Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo (as well as Petit Trois, co-owned by Ludo Lefebvre), servers tell you as they drop the check that service is included; they also circle that charge on the bill in red pen. The pen mark alone is not enough — if you’re distracted by conversation, you might miss it. But the verbal heads-up plus the highlighting on the check is much appreciated by this diner.

1 Like

Coincidently, the first time we came across an extra charge was at Jon & Vinny’s a couple of years ago. It was so confusing & awkward on both sides. But they led the charge trying to supplement healthcare costs for employees. That’s a good thing.

It’s really just growing pains. The restaurants and the customers will figure out how to handle it properly and become more comfortable. For instance, we didn’t feel the need to give the waiter at PT our usual tip %. We gave him $10 in cash. With the service fee it was about 22% total. It’s between the restaurants and the servers to decide whether this works.

BTW… We always have really good service at PT.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve had consistently exemplary service at Petit Trois, Animal, and Kismet.

Nice write up @TheCookie

:lobster: Thermidor is an acquired taste and I’m guessing many Angelenos would share your opinion.

Prior to the PT version, I had one prepared by Chef Laurent Quenioux back in 2015 when he was at Vertical Wine Bistro. He used Maine lobster and bathed it in a sauce of cream and brandy.

Here’s a screenshot from my IG account for reference:

5 Likes

Unique American phenomenon - Diners relishing the opportunity to provide pro-bono HR compensation responsibilities on behalf of the restaurant and actively evaluating compensation plans and seeking ways to offer regular self-funded raises to said restaurant staff.

delete

1 Like