Providence

Just watched the video! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::hearts::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So good!

3 Likes

I was going to skip this one, but that “uni sushi dessert” was the clincher! Looking forward to picking up my meal this weekend.

Just incredible work they’re doing week-to-week and now it’s my fave of the bunch of fine dining places doing take-out during the pandemic.

4 Likes

En Voyage Mexico! :sailboat: :mexico:

Tasting notes were on point. The lite, tart, acidic fruit of the Camillie complimented the slight sweetness & coconut water in the ceviche marinade. This Syrah is a wine I could drink with or without food - great with the Rockfish Mole. I even liked the non-oaky Chardonnay. :slightly_smiling_face:

Dos Toros Carniceria Chicharrón, Chipotle Creme

Ceviche - Shrimp, Scallop, Octopus, Avocado, Jicama, Cucumber, Pickled Red Onions, Serrano, Side of Marinade (lime, mezcal, coconut water) & Shrimp Chili Oil, Garnish of Sea Beans, Coriander Leaves & Flowers & Tehachapi Grain Project Tortillas Chips

Unique & tasty marinade, pristine shellfish, very tender pulpo, the sea beans from my gurl at Dry Dock Seafood added a salty, briny crunch. Loved the tortilla chips. Yep, I could eat this all the time. :hearts:

Vermilion Rockfish in Banana Leaf, Kabocha Squash, Mole (w/passionfruit, pineapple, pistachios, almonds), Charred Pickled Habanada Peppers (sweet habaneros), Roasted Pepitas

Tehachapi Grain Project Green Dent Corn Tortillas

Nope, this was not the mole to change @PorkyBelly’s opinion of mole. I agree he would probably like the Coloradito much better @JeetKuneBao. Since I am a mole lover I appreciated the different flavor profile (tart fruit) and the sweetness of the kabocha squash was a good choice to offset the tart. The rockfish was perfect. :slightly_smiling_face:

Tres Leches Cake, Roasted Pineapple, Coconut Vanilla Meringue, Passion Fruit Sorbet

The cake became tres leches cake after sitting and soaking up more of the liquid. I loved the torched coconut vanilla merengue, the roasted pineapple was a nice component and there was something quite rum-y tasting. I agree about the passionfruit sorbet - it was nice on its own but too tart and sorbet-ish for the cake. I replaced it with creamy, jammy Be Happy strawberry ice cream. :relaxed:

Ditto! :blush:

Concha

Breakfast! I :hearts: their version of this sweet bread. The aroma alone made me swoon and oh that great butter! :blush:

Bonus Round

We didn’t eat the rice, so the next day I topped it with Katy’s Smokehouse Tuna, Furikake, Everything Bagel Topping, Scallions and a Dressing w/the leftover Spicy Shrimp Oil, Tuna Liquid, Lime, Sesame Oil & Mirin. :yum:

Off to New England… :sailboat:

17 Likes

golden sesame panna cotta with california red sea urchin

had to get my tweezers out for this week’s top replating quickfire challenge. @hppzz.

this was indeed like the ugly bunch, but instead of the smoked crème fraîche panna cotta, it was replaced with a golden sesame panna cotta that tasted exactly like peanut butter. @attran99

roasted local black cod, honeynut squash, daikon, yuzu, uni nage
the fish whisperer does it again. the theme was uni, but the star of the dish was the black cod. cooked fish cannot get any better than this. the flesh quivered when touched and seemed to only be held together by its skin. the texture was almost like a silken tofu or needle’s almond jello.

I love yuzu so I went a little crazy with the zest.

the reheating instructions (375 for 7-8 minutes) were spot on this week. pro tip, warm your plate on top of the toaster oven while the fish is reheating.

semi-sour rouge de bourdeaux baguette with whipped uni butter
a bit sour with some nuttiness. uni butter was creamy and a bit briny.

valrhona guanaja mousse, caramelia crémeux, praline
a very convincing trompe l’oeil, there was even rice under the “uni”. the uni was rich and creamy, the nori was audibly crisp, but the shari was a little soft. I’ll chalk that one up to travel time though.

after reading how @TheCookie brilliantly paired her tres leches with creamy ice cream, I just realized this would have been perfect with a quenelle of antico’s vanilla bean ice cream to balance out the richness. @foodshutterbug, @butteredwaffles, @rlw, @Bagel.

uni for scale

19 Likes

Greetings From New England! :anchor: :shell:

Can you see the front label? Nah, I couldn’t either, but it looked cool - an ode to The Beatles White Album. I was thinking something acidic to compliment and a slight sweet fruit to contrast the briny and buttery seafood - somm, David, came up with this. Interesting blend of grapes, dry, lemony, mineral w/hints of sweet fruit & honey. Good job!

Wedge Salad

Chef’s wife, Crisi’s blue cheese dressing is very pungent but very delicious and there’s those sweet end-of-summer tomatoes again to foil the punge. :blush:

Love Me Some Parker House Rolls :hearts:

I have died and gone to New England Seafood Heaven.

Seeing the clams firsthand, I don’t think they are Ipswich, definitely not big belly @PorkyBelly - too small for that category, but sooo tender, sweet, buttery, briny good!

I had the same thought as others - the small oven they use is a super hot pro oven and they didn’t adjust reheating instructions for home ovens and definitely not my KitchenAid toaster oven - higher temp, longer cook would’ve been the ticket. But! This was one great spread - again with the perfect shellfish, amazingly sweet corn, creamy potatoes. I loved the linguica! :hearts: Here in L.A. I’ve only had linguica at Brazilian spots. These are Portuguese/New England-style with that reddish color, tiny dots of fat, slight spicy tang and they’re split w/criss cross marks, like the linguica I remember. :kissing_heart: :two_hearts:

Mmmm hmm. :yum:

Blueberry Hand Pie, Tastykake, Adult Pop Tart, Whatever you want to call them! :hearts: Scrumptious and with that glaze and warmed and a dollop of creme fraiche it’s even more scrumptious!

Tiny Whoopies!

I now have enough in my frozen collection of shells to make a fabulous seafood stock. Thanks Providence!

15 Likes

The bread and dessert look fantastic. Great photos and descriptions, as always.

1 Like

F-ing FOMO! :weary::sweat_drops: We missed En Voyage Uni by messing around waiting to see if we had dinner plans with the offspring. No! I was able to recover and check myself about my first world problems. Then! I missed the cutoff for the $20 Uni Kits (1/2 uni still in shell w/baguette & uni butter, uh yum!), again, making Sunday brunch plans with said offspring. We’re going to The Butcher, The Baker, The Cappuccino Maker. :roll_eyes:

P.S. Your meal looks fantastic.

2 Likes

This Week: Le Grand Aïoli (aka Shellfish-a-Palooza)

First Course: Billi Bi Soup

Main Course: An assortment of chilled seafood and vegetables - Maine Lobster, Carolina Shrimp, Mussels, Cod, Farmers’ Market Vegetables, and Aïoli for dipping
Classic French Baguette

Dessert: Pear and Frangipane Tart with Crème Chantilly au Pain d’Epices

7 Likes

My favorite way to eat: cold stuff on french baguette with dollops of mayo… oh excuse me, I mean aioli.

3 Likes

had me at billi bi soup

6 Likes

These videos are incredibly effective low cost advertising.

6 Likes

Missed the striped bass :frowning: it would’ve been interesting. But they do have this ”Salmon Bellies and Collars. Hot-Smoked in-house over alder wood – delicious flaked over a rice bowl with scallion and sesame. Priced per pound. $29.00” Hmmm…

3 Likes

might have to try that for research.

1 Like

last week of en voyage?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGnzFCoHv0L/?hl=en

2 Likes

this is the last week of en voyage and pantry items

so sorrowful

3 Likes

What’s the reason?

1 Like

Taking a break - unspecified how long that break is.

BTW what does OOE mean?

One of each or one of everything

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Damn I gotta stop making bad jokes here.

That uni dinner was amazing! Not just the fish but those veggies paired so well with everything too. Hope they have a good break and come back strong!

…I have to admit though, I’m not baller enough to get Providence every weekend so at least I’m not missing any menus while my wallet takes a rest. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes