Random discussion of Covid-19 not specifically related to restaurants or food

Newsom said the state will drop its mask mandates on June 15.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article251391938.html

I wish I could find the article I read the other day where a Belgian public health official referred to the US as a “developing country” without “basic health care.”

Interesting that only 40% of people who have not gotten vaccinated are Covid deniers.

If you would have grown up in your Europe you would fully understand it. If you have enough money there is no big difference between Europe and US. The moment you don’t have enough money (and how much (or better how little) many people earn with a single job is one of many fundamental problems) you have a lot of problems to get health care on a sufficient level without going bankrupt or hit some money-related limits (ACA helped a bit but by far didn’t resolve the fundamental problems). So yes, the US has for many people a health care on a developing country level

1 Like

I’m a dual national with an EU passport, but you don’t have to live there to know that the US’s patchwork health-care system allows millions of people to get sick and die. It’s just startling to see a frank description of that in a news article that’s not about our fucked-up health care system.

Yes, I know. But since the beginning of the pandemic, the man has shown no aptitude for any sort of “dimmer switch” approach to mandated controls, and this is just another stubborn example. Fully-vaccinated people are not a threat to others and shouldn’t be compelled to wear masks, other than in individual stores that on their own require them for entry (and today I see that several additional major retailers no longer require masks).

The article about the four classes of people who remain unvaccinated (even though eligible) was very interesting. All of them should continue to wear masks until/unless they change their minds.

Throw the dog a bone.

How do you know if someone is vaccinated ? I’ll continue to wear the mask in public . Keeping 10 feet away from you .

There are a number of obvious problems, e.g. employers also working in a honor system
and are collecting but not controlling if somebody is vaccinated.

The point is if you’re vaccinated, it doesn’t much matter when in the presence of others if they’re vaccinated or not. Unvaccinated people aren’t a risk to you and you aren’t a risk to them. Additionally, “unvaccinated” doesn’t equal “infected” – the positivity rate is very low.

I don’t, and since I am, I don’t care.

Perfect

There are many articles out which have quite different opinion. It is becoming also more clear now that children have a high percentage of long covid cases. I would clearly disagree with the WP article.

“ Evidence from the first study of long covid in children suggests that more than half of children aged between 6 and 16 years old who contract the virus have at least one symptom lasting more than 120 days, with 42.6 per cent impaired by these symptoms during daily activities.”

That study was based on 129 children diagnosed at a Rome hospital between March and November. That they were diagnosed in a hospital suggests the sample was skewed to exclude those who were asymptomatic or had only mild symptoms.

“The pediatric piece of this is pretty neglected,” said Amy Edwards, associate medical director of pediatric infection control at University Hospitals in Ohio. “Kids with long haul have brain fog, chronic fatigue, fevers on and off, weird rashes. Long-haulers don’t go to the hospital. They suffer at home.”
…
Edwards, who is running the new University Hospitals clinic, estimates about 1% of children who have Covid come down with long-term illness, though good data are scarce.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-19/long-haul-covid-kids-coronavirus-proving-more-serious-risk-to-children

https://www.tiktok.com/@dcol/video/6911061328174107909

There are many other reports about long covid in kids

Recent expert opinions from pediatric public health professionals in the US with first-hand experience?

The experts are not only working in the US - it might be helpful for you to understand that in particular wrt Covid the US research, in particular clinical, wasn’t a frontrunner worldwide but lacked in many aspects, genetic testing etc

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthandlifeexpectancies/adhocs/12788updatedestimatesoftheprevalenceoflongcovidsymptoms

The percentage of kids 2-11 with symptoms five weeks after testing positive was 2-5%. And children are much less likely to get infected.

There’s no consensus among experts.

I’m dubious that 29% said it was safe or somewhat safe for unvaccinated children to take part in indoor activities “where masks aren’t an option.” That’s so indisputably not safe that I wonder if the article left something out.